Hi,
I've been playing guitar for 6 years and I'm at a good level
However what really annoys is all the small mistakes I make
Example miss a note, bend slightly flat, miss vibrato, string noise
Stuff like that, most people wouldn't notice it but other other guitarist would
I normal make about 3-4 of those mistakes during a song doesn't matter if it's simple or advanced
Practicing doesn't seem to help much
Watching my heros they all seem to play perfect.....
Any tips to reduce this from happening?
Maybe I'm just being paranoid.....
Thanks!
🍗🎹🎶🎼🎧🎤🎮👾🎸🎨🎷⚽️🎱🏁🎺🎻🍮🍰🍪📱👻🐔🐣🐥🐤🐽🐷💀👽💩💸🚽👻
Everyone does this. I've been playing nearly 7 years now and still make mistakes even if i'm playing the most simple of things. 3 to 4 mistakes during a song though, sounds fine to me. You're definitely being too hard on yourself. I remember watching an interview with my favourite guitarist Paul Waggoner and the interviewer said something along the lines of you play so flawlessly, how do you never make mistakes. He naturally responded laughing (the other guitarist laughing at him too) and said something along the lines of that's where you're completely wrong, i make mistakes all the time. You guys just don't notice.
Human error is completely normal. None of us are robots like Guthrie Govan
Practice will help.

If you're making the same mistakes over and over then you need to practice that part of the song or that particular technique until you can play it perfectly. Be strict with yourself or you will always play with mistakes.
Practice and repetition are the cure. There are two types of mistakes :

1) those you repeat because it's a difficult part
2) momentary lapses in memory where you simply are " winging it " or are unprepared for a part when it comes up

Practice is the cure for both of those - obssessive reptition of each small section of a song is the cure. Don't be afraid to play difficult sections on a loop - just keep playing the part until it's second nature. Most players i ve met who consistently make small mistakes were sloppy with their approach to learning songs and would speed through it.
By "mistake" do you mean "not as written"or "sounds bad". If the former, it worries me not in the least, as I'm not a "tribute" player, if the latter, you learn to run with it, it just takes practice. I'm a fan of Ry Cooder, and he makes obvious mistakes, and even when it sounds good, a lot of it seems to be improv, not written in stone.

"Worried man" in my Soundclick link changes halfway through because I hit a seriously bum note and just went with it. My vocalist knew me well enough that he was able to keep up.
When i was a beginner I remember chord transitions were very difficult to me. Now they are a breeze.

It'll come eventually as long as you do your part and spend time with your guitar.
"ba doo doo ba doo doo ba doo daa"
- earth,wind, and fire
As a music teacher, I always teach pupils to ignore their mistakes and focus on the things they play really well. Dwelling on inaccuracies in a piece of music can in turn affect other aspects of your playing. I find that being relaxed and confident about your playing and not beating yourself up about small errors is the best remedy to eventually iron out any issues you have.
Are you practicing the specific areas where you make mistakes? Are you making the same mistakes over and over?

Most of the time, mistakes come down to practice. You have to do it correctly and then get it up to speed. It's OK to go back and practice stuff slowly, even if it's a song you've played a million times. It's also important to really engage your attention, and avoid zoning out when you're doing something familiar or easy.
"They're not mistakes, they're improvisations."

"If you make a mistake, be sure to do it again so the audience thinks you meant it."
^+^^

Quote by PSimonR
Remember your heros have played the song perhaps 2000 times.. you only 200?

And also remember they (probably) wrote the song- odds are they wrote something which they found (relatively) easy to play and which suited their style of playing.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
^ yeah that too.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Practice will help, you just aren't practicing correctly. Find the areas where mistakes happen more frequently. A pull off? A chord change? A bend? And slow it right the f**k down! Like super slow mo. You want to repeat that phrase over and over again correctly each and every time. Only bring the speed up slowly. If you make a mistake. Stop! Slow down again and get it right. Better to do 10 slow repetitions each day, than 40 fast ones with mistakes thrown in. This is a scientifically proven way to build the right connections in your brain. If you play it sloppy each time, your brain learns to play sloppy.

Speed will come naturally, you almost don't have to worry about speed. If you build up the correct technique, speed will just magically appear. I promise you!

Patience my friend!
Last edited by gweddle.nz at Feb 1, 2017,