At NAMM 2017, Two Notes announced the Torpedo Captor, link below

http://www.two-notes.com/torpedo-captor

I was planning to get a Suhr Reactive Load to record Tube amp goodness with my DAW and Torpedo WOSIII but now I am conflicted.

The Torpedo Captor is going to be $229 apparently, and the Suhr Reactive Load is $399.

I wanted to go for the Suhr Reactive Load because it was cheaper than the Torpedo Studio and Torpedo Live, and I've also heard that for whatever reason, the Suhr Reactive just sounded better for use with IR's (but the tradeoff is having less features than a Torpedo Studio or Live, features I didn't really need anyway)

What do you guys think? Would you rather have a Torpedo Captor or a Suhr Reactive Load? I think the Captor can attenuate, not sure if the Reactive Load can
I'd go for Torpedo.
They've been doing it longer and they're cheaper.
Plus, Suhr is a guitar company first and foremost
My Soundcloud dudes
Recording gear:
Yahama Hs8
Saffire Pro 40
Shure Sm57
Shure Sm7b

Guitar gear :
Ebmm BFR7
Axe fx XL+
Walrus audio Janus
Ibanez Ergodyne
Black Market Custom cab
Good point, but when I read through the forums about Two Notes vs Suhr Reactive Load, the Suhr seems to come out on top for sound quality. The gimmick with the Suhr is apparently their 'reactiveness'

Also, I've read when comparing the waves on the DAW, Suhr's looks more dynamic (again something I've read on forums)

Does anybody here have a Suhr Reactive Load AND a Torpedo Live/Studio?
Don't trust hype trains, best bet would be to try both before buying them
My Soundcloud dudes
Recording gear:
Yahama Hs8
Saffire Pro 40
Shure Sm57
Shure Sm7b

Guitar gear :
Ebmm BFR7
Axe fx XL+
Walrus audio Janus
Ibanez Ergodyne
Black Market Custom cab
I have owned both the Torpedo Live and the Suhr RL  . I still own and use the Suhr everyday. Next to plugging into a real cab nothing touches it for retaining the tone of your amp.
Quote by Kyleisthename
I'd go for Torpedo.
They've been doing it longer and they're cheaper.
Plus, Suhr is a guitar company first and foremost

Said the guy that owns no amps.
Last edited by 6BQ5 at Mar 18, 2017,
This is why I hate the Internet. Go do something productive, you didn't add anything to the conversation by saying that.
My Soundcloud dudes
Recording gear:
Yahama Hs8
Saffire Pro 40
Shure Sm57
Shure Sm7b

Guitar gear :
Ebmm BFR7
Axe fx XL+
Walrus audio Janus
Ibanez Ergodyne
Black Market Custom cab
predz91 if i have budget to buy new loadbox i will go to the company that have loadbox as their main products they probably has better after-sales support for their loadbox products if shit happen with your purchased product.

i will not go to the good guitar company that also have loadbox products, because the probably re-route your claim to the OEM company that build the loadbox under their brand...

But For now i dont have budget for replace my old-rusty loadbox and also i still happy with my marshall SE100 that build by groovy tube patented circuit... But 100% i will get twonotes loadbox products in the future... That just my opinions...
Last edited by datresults at Mar 18, 2017,
Quote by Kyleisthename
This is why I hate the Internet.  Go do something productive, you didn't add anything to the conversation by saying that.

Why? because someone called you out for making a un-informed, un-qualifed statement? Two Notes started in 2008 , John Suhr has been been building amps and cabs since the early 90's and yes guitars even before that. unless you have first hand experience with both those units, which i doubt, why would you make the recommendation? 
No, everyone is always incredibly negative and thinks it's all about arguing.

I could go into detail about how their experience building amps doesn't matter but I'm busy.
Look at the Mesa cab clone for an example as to why that argument doesn't hold up.

Plus, I said to try both. Order both and return whatever doesn't work out.
My Soundcloud dudes
Recording gear:
Yahama Hs8
Saffire Pro 40
Shure Sm57
Shure Sm7b

Guitar gear :
Ebmm BFR7
Axe fx XL+
Walrus audio Janus
Ibanez Ergodyne
Black Market Custom cab
Quote by datresults

i will not go to the good guitar company that also have loadbox products, because the probably re-route your claim to the OEM company that build the loadbox under their brand...

Suhr builds all their own stuff. God knows John Suhr is too much a stickler to not. 
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
oneblackened suhr guitars are the masterpieces for me... The amps has a "same-same-different-same" sound with the "gold" amps we know... in my opinion suhr exploiting his big name too much, by producing too many difference kind products divisions...
That why I argue they made non-guitar products by their own, if we look into their company scales, it will be not easy producing so many kind of products for supplying so many dealerships in worldwide scale... Why not stay in guitars and pickups only that what their do best...
Once again, that only my OPINION not to offend any fan-boys at here...
Last edited by datresults at Mar 18, 2017,
Hi all,

I was also wondering which of these 2 unit would be the best (closest to real speaker). To my ears they are both great sounding, but different. So I tried the analytical way and went totally FFT on their asses. You can check the results for yourself at:

N.B. I also very much like the sound of the Fryette Power Station.
I have the Mesa Cabclone, and I only use it with the dry signal out and IRs. Do you guys think it would be a huge improvement with the captor, considering it's reactive instead of resistive? 
AEnesidem yes indeed the passive cabinet emulations of the cc are pure shit, but with dry out and IRs it's really usable and sounds good. Like night and day so I was wondering how far could be a reactive load instead of resistive.
Quote by oolewhapper
Hi all,

I was also wondering which of these 2 unit would be the best (closest to real speaker). To my ears they are both great sounding, but different. So I tried the analytical way and went totally FFT on their asses. You can check the results for yourself at:

N.B. I also very much like the sound of the Fryette Power Station.

That video is quite interesting but I'm not sure I understand it very much. So you're saying they just both sound good but slightly different? Anything else we can conclude from that analysis on the video?
Or, you could get the real loadbox/emulator in the Palmer PDI-03, which is like 600 bucks.
Quote by Watterboy
Do you have any dilithium crystals or fresh warm dumps for sale
predz91 I started out owning a Palmer PDI-09 and later upgraded to the Palmer PGA-04. After using the PGA-04 for several years I got the Torpedo Live when it was released. I completed this with the Torpedo Reload and have been using the Torpedo Reload for some years up until the Suhr Reactive Load was released. I A/B hard tested the Torpedo Reload and Suhr Reactive Load back on forth for 2 weeks tons of hours in the studio with various amps like Mesa Boogie MKV, Marshall 2203, Diezel Herbert MKII, Friedman Smallbox, ENGL Retro Tube 100 and ENGL Powerball II. I ended up keeping only the Suhr Reactive Load as this sounds and fells more natural than the others on clean, semi-clean, crunch and way up to high-gain heaven. Tested on various guitars with various pickup configuations and the Suhr sounded and felt better in every way.  

I highly recommed using the Ownhammer IR's loaded into the Wall of Sound by Torpedo. I own the complete Wall of Sound library as well as the complete Ownhammer library and the Ownhammer sounds way better both in a mix and outside a mix.