I am planing to buy a new acoustic folk guitar and i'm torn between a Fender CD140sce and a Yamaha FGX720sca ana i need advice which to buy?

If you have a better solid top acoustic folk guitar on the same price range please suggest.
I would say the Yahama out of those two. Side suggestion. Check out some Takamine in that price range as well. They have solid tops and laminated side instead of the whole guitar being laminated. Check out the Takamine GN51BSB and the Takamine GD51CEBSB. Jasmine also has JD37 and are related to Takamine. That JD37 has a solid top and runs about 153 on Amazon. Takamine also have one called GD 30 that usually runs about 200 dollars. I believe that Fender has laminated top cause the Tbuckets that run higher them are laminated tops.
"Music became a healer for me. And I learned to listen with all my being. I found that it could wipe away all the emotions of fear and confusion relating to my family." Eric Clapton
Blackwaterson89 No, the Fender CD-140's are solid top.

In the USA, those are running about 3 bills. I have a "Sonoran", basically a CD-140 with a Strat neck. I had some problems with the top bulging. I can't say with any real certainty whether or not that was partly my fault. Sorry.

I have 2 Epiphone EJ-200-SCE's as well, which (IMHO), are better than the Fender, both sonically, and value per dollar spent. They are however HUGE guitars.

You also might find a used Seagull S-6 "Original" in that price range. I don't normally like to recommend a used guitar to a beginner though, unless they have a very experienced person to take along to check stuff out.
Last edited by Captaincranky at Jan 29, 2017,
Quote by Captaincranky
Blackwaterson89 No, the Fender CD-140's are solid top. In the USA, those are running about 3 bills. I have a "Sonoran", basically a CD-140 with a Strat neck. I had some problems with the top bulging. I can't say with any real certainty whether or not that was partly mu fault. Sorry.

I have 2 Epiphone EJ-200-SCE's as well, which (IMHO), are better than the Fender, both sonically, and value per dollar spent. They are however HUGE guitars.

You also might find a used Seagull S-6 "Original in that price range. I don't normally like to recommend a used guitar to a beginner though, unless they hjave an experienced person to take along to check stuff out.
Oh Nice, I just didn't think so cause they want 500 dollars for that new Tbucket 400 ce they just released and it is all laminated.
"Music became a healer for me. And I learned to listen with all my being. I found that it could wipe away all the emotions of fear and confusion relating to my family." Eric Clapton
Last edited by Blackwaterson89 at Jan 29, 2017,
Quote by Blackwaterson89
Oh Nice, I just didn't think so cause they want 500 dollars for that new Tbucket 400 ce they just released and it is all laminated.
Fender has some overpriced stuff in their line, the "Sonoran" being a prime example. It is solid top, but you're paying for the "kitsch factor of the Strat style neck (maple) and 6 in line head stock.

Actually if I were to render an opinion, the CD-140ce is probably the strongest value point in their line. It's at $400.00 w/ case: MAP / USD: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/fender-cd-140sce-acoustic-electric-guitar-w-case?rNtt=CD-140SCE&index=3

They also have an all mahogany model of it, which I believe has a solid hog top, w/ laminated B & S.

Fender used to have a "Dick Dale Signature" model, which was all laminate and about $600.00 IIRC. You really do have to read the fine print with those humps!
Last edited by Captaincranky at Jan 29, 2017,
My favorite selling tactic is select Spruce. Just go ahead and tell me it is laminated. I have three laminated guitars so it not like it going bother me too much. Since the fender has solid top, I would go with it. Yahama are good but Fenders are pretty decent acoustic now days compare to 12 years ago. Check out those Takamines though. That will be my next guitar company I buy from.
Quote by Tony Done
Blackwaterson89

I'm prejudiced against Taks because of their abuse of cedar. My favourite fingerpicking guitar has a laminated top. "Select spruce" is imaginative use of the truth.
Don't get me wrong the only solid body I have is the one my Grandfather bulit, my other three acoustics are laminate. Oh, They still have the cedar one but they are using other woods like Sapele now too. Most of there stuff is Spruce like anyone else at this point.
I had a Fender "California series" acoustic in the mid 80's, with a Strat-style neck like the Sonoran. Hell, it might've been a Sonoran, can't remember. But what I do remember is it was beautiful when I bought it new. In short order I came to dislike it. The black paint on the fingerboard came off very quickly, and I can remember actually having blackened fingers from it. The bridge pins were cheap plastic crap and malformed with the first string change.

I'm sure Fender's acoustics are better now. How could they be worse? I'll never buy another Fender acoustic.
Quote by TobusRex
I had a Fender "California series" acoustic in the mid 80's, with a Strat-style neck like the Sonoran. Hell, it might've been a Sonoran, can't remember. But what I do remember is it was beautiful when I bought it new. In short order I came to dislike it. The black paint on the fingerboard came off very quickly, and I can remember actually having blackened fingers from it. The bridge pins were cheap plastic crap and malformed with the first string change.

I'm sure Fender's acoustics are better now. How could they be worse? I'll never buy another Fender acoustic.

Man they used to horrible, I had tbucket about two years ago man. It was a fine guitar man, the only reason I sold it was to pay those gimmicks call bills. On the other hand I have a Squier Fender my father gave me and it sounds like shit. I keep it because it is one of few good things he gave me.
Last edited by Blackwaterson89 at Jan 29, 2017,
I do have to admit that I have a perverse interest in those Fender's with the comic book art painted on the top. Kinda like my interest in Luna, I guess.
Can't go wrong with either one of them. The Fender is great value for money, but I do think the Yamaha is the better guitar albeit more expensive.
Quote by TobusRex
Well, my "Sonoran" surely doesn't have a painted finger board, just one slab of genuine rosewood. And plastics have come a long, long way in 30 some odd years.

Quote by TobusRex
I can appreciate that, "one bitten, twice shy" fear of buying another. I, (as I've mentioned in the past), had much trepidation about buying Epiphone after a horrible, horrible experience, with one of their 12 strings. Although, my guitar teacher bought a Fender acoustic 12 string during the 60's. When I saw him a few years later, and asked him about it. He told me that it, "fell apart".

Since you more than likely simply don't need to but another Fender acoustic, consider this a purely academic discussion type of reply.
Hey Cranky, that the Epiphone 212 you had problems with? I nearly got one a couple years ago in a fit of 12 string curiosity, but after going and trying out some 12's at the local shop I decided to pass until I improved (a lot).
Quote by TobusRex
Hey Cranky, that the Epiphone 212 you had problems with? I nearly got one a couple years ago in a fit of 12 string curiosity, but after going and trying out some 12's at the local shop I decided to pass until I improved (a lot).
I just typed about a page and a half about 12 strings, who played them and why. I lost it all acidentally navigating away from the page. I'm so very sick of that bug in this software, and I simply don't have the ambition to type it all again. At least not for ther time being

Let me try and make it up to you by reposting this video by Justim about the 12 string, and hope that you'll give it the attention it deserves.

BTW, the Newest Epiphone DR-212's get great reviews. So maybe the issues I had, have been solved.

I've said this before, but the 12 string is very physical, and you actually do have to pick one up rather frequently, "to stay in shape".
Last edited by Captaincranky at Jan 30, 2017,
Quote by TobusRex
Well, here's the thing, the latest Epiphone DR-212's have gotten great reviews in many places. So, maybe they've gotten the issues they back in the day when my 12 string was built, solved as well. There are several other points I'd like to discuss on the matter, so I beg your indulgence.

First, (and only IIRC), I believe I heard you talking about the current 6 string standard neck width of 1 11/16" being a bit wide for your taste. The current standard 12 string neck is 1 7/8" at the nut, almost a 1/4" wider. There are some narrower necks twelves around. Unfortunately, these are fairly high end pieces One is the Rickenbacker, ("Ricketybacker", so called because of their "delicate" necks), and another brand is the famous, "call and have me built to your order brand", "Carvin'. Both of those are semi-acoustic to solid body guitar, "semi acoustic" being somewhat charitable. I believe Carvin advertises its 12 string necks at 1 11/16" the same as a standard six. You wouldn't get away for under a grand for any of the Carvin models..

Second, you probably don't have to get, "any better" to play a twelve string, but you more than likely have to "get stronger". The short scale 6 strings you seem so fond of, don't do much at all to prepare you for dealing with a long scale acoustic 12. Twelves are played with a shitload of open "cowboy" chords. In fact the open D major chord, practically made Roger McGuinn's career with the Byrds possible.

Third, with some of the musical fare you're interested in, I honestly don't think, "it's in a 12 string state of mind" (With apologies to the Broadway show tune's title I just paraphrased and butchered.

The Byrds got their idea for the 12 string stuff from the Beatles! Pete Seeger loved to drive his social protests home at the point of a 12 string. In fact, the early Who's tune "Substitute" (from "Happy Jack"), is done on a 12 string. (That's why nobody seems to be able to correctly tab the sucker. The notes they think are on the top strings are actually coming from the octave D-4 & G-3 strings).

In any event, 12 strings were very much "in style" when I was growing up. Jimi Hendrix, George Harrison, The Hollies, The Byrds, Led Zeppelin, The Eagles, and many many others used them. So did one of my favorite bands, which you may have not even heard of, "The Strawbs" whose front man played one often. With the exception of Hendrix, most of the acts I've mentioned take their inspiration folk, country, and ceremonial music.The Strawbs are at times very bombastic and grandiose. And "The Who", to whom people attached the tag "acid rock" to describe, were really no such thing. Pete Townshend cobbled together every piece of British ceremonial and military march he could lay his pick on, to come up with the landmark "Tommy" album..

I've published this video before, but you really should have a good look and a close listen to it. Justin essentially agrees with my conclusions about twelves I've reached over long years of dealing with them.

(I found this "lost post" in a different window I somehow accidentally opened. I hope you get something out of it).
Tony Done

I'd like that.....but, it would most likely go dormant rather quickly. I think a few of the longer term members here are interested in twelves, but I'm not real sure about, "these darned kids today".

"The best 12 string songs" thread might make a good sticky. But then, it rises from the dead via a Google search, and returns to its grave after maybe a dozen posts or so.
Tony Done

Verily I say unto thee, "aren't we all".

EDIT: And now I'm going to turn off my "Lava Lamp", and head on up to bed. Far out, and peace man...
First of all, thank you for your advice and suggestions it is much appreciated but i would like to make something clear both the yamaha FGX720sca and the fender CD140sce are solid tops and are in the same price range