Page 1 of 2
so im writing an album and i'm looking for a microphone to record from my guitar amp for a decent price, and i also kinda want a mic/setup which allows me to record singing... what's the most ideal mic that can do both?

singing isn't as important as guitar.

i was thinking of buying this

https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Microphones/Stagg-SDM70-Professional-Multipurpose-Microphone/B0133E9NEI/ref=sr_1_2?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1485625949&sr=1-2&keywords=sm57

good or bad idea? also what else do i need to buy to plug it into my computer? do i have to buy a fuckin stand aswel

p.s. i know this should be on the recording part of the forum but it's very inactive and i need a fast answer so ye. i will delete this thread and welcome a lock later
Click here to hear my BOB DYLAN (Blowing in the Wind) out right now May 2k17
just get a shure

never buy a stagg anything
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

which 1 tho cos the dynamic shures are like £100 just for the mic
a REAL Shure SM57

And get a stand so you can point it properly at the speaker, don't dangle it.

and yes it costs £100 e.g. from Dawson - but its a professional mic and will last long and give a proper sound and every studio uses it so just get one
Last edited by PSimonR at Jan 28, 2017,
I have an Audix i5 which I prefer to an SM57. £84 and does everything pretty well. Also probably best to get a USB interface. I've not tried plugging straight into the mic jack before but I can't imagine it sounds pretty. Focusrite Scarlett Solo is the cheapest one that I know is good, there's probably something cheaper though.
Last edited by korinaflyingv at Jan 28, 2017,
get a shure sm57 and a lexicon alpha audio interface.. If you have the cash at some point get a condenser mic so you can record with both at the same time for it too sound really nice.

I only have the sm57 and I find that it sounds better if you're playing chords to double up on the tracks and put one of the recordings through left and the other through right. Pretty easy to do in reaper.
it probably won't take as much of a beating as the shure but honestly it will probably do a good enough job

definitely get a condenser if you are going to be singing as well
if you want a decent condenser mic that really easy to use, affordable, plug and play usb... i'd recommend the samson c01u, been using for a few years now, it get's the job done.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
There shall be a stop to this madness. The battle is not over. My tasty licks aren't going anywhere.

Quote by The_Blode
^ I've just realised if you say Simple Plan's 2011 effort "Get Your Heart On!" really fast in a Southern American accent, it sounds gross. . .like sexual gross!

Quote by Necroheadbanger
Hello.
I'm looking for professional bongo-ists and triangle-ists to make a Progressive Technical Brutal Death Metal band
(will be called AxOxJxLxAxIxVxXxUxWxZxQxUxRxWxGxJxSxAxLxKxMxNxHxUxGxAxAxWxVxCxBxZxVx)
(Don't even ask what it means)

https://soundcloud.com/95dank

Quote by laid-to-waste
so im writing an album and i'm looking for a microphone to record from my guitar amp for a decent price, and i also kinda want a mic/setup which allows me to record singing... what's the most ideal mic that can do both?

singing isn't as important as guitar.

i was thinking of buying this

https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Microphones/Stagg-SDM70-Professional-Multipurpose-Microphone/B0133E9NEI/ref=sr_1_2?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1485625949&sr=1-2&keywords=sm57

good or bad idea? also what else do i need to buy to plug it into my computer? do i have to buy a fuckin stand aswel

p.s. i know this should be on the recording part of the forum but it's very inactive and i need a fast answer so ye. i will delete this thread and welcome a lock later

https://www.thomann.de/se/the_tbone_sc_450_popkiller.htm
https://www.thomann.de/se/millenium_ms2003.htm
https://www.thomann.de/se/focusrite_scarlett_2i2_2nd_gen.htm?ref=search_rslt_+Focusrite+Scarlett+2i2_389082_0

I bought these a year or two ago and am super happy with them
Quote by Trowzaa
Gotta agree. I think Stagg is cheap in price because the quality of their products are... well... cheap.

Just my opinion though.
Quote by snipelfritz
You lost me at "Lubricate."

I'm raw, like nature. Nature boy. Big jungle leaves are my cum rags.

Sometimes I fuck a bamboo shoot.

There's nothing left here to be saved
Just barreling dogs and barking trains
Another year lost to the blue line
Stagg is the No1 trusted brand of every public school's music department since 1995

Aka, they ain't great.
Come back if you want to
And remember who you are
‘Cause there's nothing here for you my dear
And everything must pass
Quote by i_lovemetallica
Stagg is the No1 trusted brand of every public school's music department since 1995

Aka, they ain't great.

Except mine
My music teacher refused to buy low quality gear but you were only allowed to use it if you were trusted or had experience.
This was a woman who entered students in competitions with a $500 budget for the production and beat those with 10x that money
A poem.
Quote by yoman297
no girl, movember isnt for you. shave your stache pls

I can out-bore you any day
My high school had a bunch of shitty recording mics, and my teacher had an SM-58 and an SM-57 locked away in his office for the special occasions.
Come back if you want to
And remember who you are
And everything must pass
We got the same with instruments
A bunch of crappy old beat up squiers and then there was a high end Epi LP, MIJ strat, two $1500 acoustics, a $2000 classical and a $1000 Yamaha bass
I was allowed to pick and choose from them
A poem.
Quote by yoman297
no girl, movember isnt for you. shave your stache pls

I can out-bore you any day
My school had a Line 6 Spider III, so there
Come back if you want to
And remember who you are
And everything must pass
My music teacher bought himself an american Strat and brought it into music class to show off one time. He was passing it around to us guitarists trying to get us to play it and we were all too scared to touch it. Mostly because he was a scary man at the best of times. One minute he'd be leaning back in his chair, belly chuckling behind his desk, next minute, he's up and shouting at someone for forgetting their drumsticks.
Quote by Mr E Meat
this is your brain

this is your brain on RT

Quote by Standard_A440
Given that you reside in the shade of the natural light of reason, I will defer doing your homework to you.
Quote by Gatecrasher53
My music teacher bought himself an american Strat and brought it into music class to show off one time. He was passing it around to us guitarists trying to get us to play it and we were all too scared to touch it. Mostly because he was a scary man at the best of times. One minute he'd be leaning back in his chair, belly chuckling behind his desk, next minute, he's up and shouting at someone for forgetting their drumsticks.

Should have played this to him
Come back if you want to
And remember who you are
And everything must pass
Quote by i_lovemetallica
Should have played this to him

He probably would have appreciated a musical rebellion.
Quote by Mr E Meat
this is your brain

this is your brain on RT

Quote by Standard_A440
Given that you reside in the shade of the natural light of reason, I will defer doing your homework to you.
What should i buy for a budget usb interface
"Social correctness has traditionally had nothing whatever to do with reason, logic, or physics. In fact, in England it is generally considered socially incorrect to know stuff or think about things."
-Douglas Adams
+1 for the Sm57. The Audix i5 has also been mentioned, so I'm going to go all out and say get the i5 and the Sm57 and dual mic everything. You have to spend if you want even a semi-decent sound.
I have nothing important to say
You really can't go wrong the Sm57, it's the industry standard, and it might be a bit more than you expected to pay, but they're virtually indestructible, and you get great sound quality out of them.
Come back if you want to
And remember who you are
And everything must pass
you have all been beautiful helpful people

FOLLOW UP QUESTION

im looking for an SM57 on eBay and some are going for like £50-60, since they are indestructible, is it a good idea to buy them used?
yeah, nowt wrong with used as long as it's a decent seller
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

Holy shit, TS, get a job. Used is fine with the SM, they're tanks.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Quote by Trowzaa
just get a shure

Stagg Chili is pretty decent.

Naw, not really. Even Stagg Chili sucks
Quote by JustRooster
Holy shit, TS, get a job. Used is fine with the SM, they're tanks.

cuz im doing a masters how am i supposed to get a job when i have to spend what little spare time i have writing music, getting high and looking up pictures of spiders?
He says to a guy who worked his way through college.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Quote by laid-to-waste
cuz im doing a masters how am i supposed to get a job when i have to spend what little spare time i have writing music, getting high and looking up pictures of spiders?

I know, right?

It's enough to make one question the existence of Life, the Universe, and Everything.
Quote by prowla
Is there any mic other than the SM57?

yeah plenty
Quote by PSimonR
But they are for PA vocals.

For recording vocals a large diaphram condensor is needed better in most cases.
ftfy
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
i am tempted to just buy the Samson CO1U, since it's a usb mic and i don't have to bother with interfaces and buying cables and stands and stuff
Quote by TobusRex
Stagg Chili is pretty decent.

Naw, not really. Even Stagg Chili sucks

That sounds like a very disgusting fusion dish
Come back if you want to
And remember who you are
And everything must pass
Page 1 of 2