Does anyone know what instrument this is? It has a total of 6 strings... 2 sets of doubles on bottom and 2 singles on top.

Last edited by gahubbard at Jan 29, 2017,
Looks absolutely like a project guitar. I'm not aware of an instrument with string courses like this, and coupled with the Fender-style headstock and pickguard makes it seem like an amateur builder wanted to experiment.
My God, it's full of stars!
Dreadnought I think the balalaika comes with as few as 3 sets of paired strings. (I'm not doing the research on that though. I'd rather just simply be wrong, than to go out of my way to prove myself wrong).

Anyway, the tuners appear to be full size. I not picturing a legitimate manufacturer doing anything but a "back room concept instrument", or putting them on anything but of one of a kind failed experiment. (Although, I suppose the body could be really small, making small tuners look giant).

So yeah, I second your assessment of "homemade"
Last edited by Captaincranky at Jan 29, 2017,
Quote by TobusRex
Looks like a bastardized archtop guitar to me.

How does it sound>?

I made a short video but i'm not sure how to post it here. Other than that I'm not sure how to describe it. I guess similar to a mandolin but not exactly?
Like this?

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
I figured it out.... here's a short video. Please understand that I have no idea how this thing should be tuned or how to play it so this is just made up stuff and the action is very high and tough to play.

Danny Alcatraz: that same damn song seems to be playing every time I have a great enchilada at a restaurant
And well it should. And well it should.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Are we sure it's not a souvenir from the movie, "Deliverance"

I hope you won't be too terribly offended by what I'm about to say, but a little of that thing goes a long, long, way..
Quote by Captaincranky
Are we sure it's not a souvenir from the movie, "Deliverance"

I hope you won't be too terribly offended by what I'm about to say, but a little of that thing goes a long, long, way..

I couldn't agree more.

Still curious what it might be. The consensus so far seems to be it's just some bastardized Frankenstein basement project. And here I was hoping it was something exotic.
Last edited by gahubbard at Jan 30, 2017,
IMHO, it is both exotic and a bit of a Frankenstein.

The Bajo subfamily of guitars are predominantly used all over central and South America, and have many forms. The one you have looks typical of Mexican manufacture- the kind of instrument you'd see in a mariachi band.

But while Bajo Sextos and Bajo Cincos sometimes have 1, 2 or even sometimes ALL of their strings in double courses, Bajo Cuatros rarely do. So if it is aBajo Cuatro, it is an unusual example of one,

What song do you play as your put food inside this thing?

'Feed My Frankenstein.'
This is interesting.... a friend of mine that is more the worldly traveler than I thinks it might be a "Tamburitza". Apparently, a Croatian folk type instrument. At least maybe it USED to be one of those until someone possibly swapped out the neck? Still not sure about that though.
Looks like a homemade mandola/octave mandolin, don't know the term. From what I can tell from wiki they are both tuned CcGgDdAa. Some mandolin players take off one of the C strings, so yours could just be one that takes off both the top strings. But I would do some more research before you start tuning it.
Quote by gahubbard
This is interesting.... a friend of mine that is more the worldly traveler than I thinks it might be a "Tamburitza". Apparently, a Croatian folk type instrument. At least maybe it USED to be one of those until someone possibly swapped out the neck? Still not sure about that though.

Good guess, maybe it's the guitar like brač type of Tamburica.

Quote by Tony Done
Just had an idea. If it were mine I would think about converting it to three double courses like a tres, and play it like a CBG.

Yeah, I don't like the mixture of single strings and double courses, seems like it'd be bad at both.
My God, it's full of stars!
Quote by Dreadnought
Yeah, I don't like the mixture of single and double courses, seems like it'd be bad at both.

It is very awkward to play. That is for sure!
Its a Gheytar
They're widely used sparingly in the most extreme delicate live recording situations.
Quote by mobidguitar
Its a Gheytar
They're widely used sparingly in the most extreme delicate live recording situations.

that is an awfully good description and makes perfect nonsense... kinda like jumbo shrimp. :-)
Dreadnought It looks like someone wanted half a mandolin half a guitar.
Quote by Charles Ives
Stand up and take your dissonance like a man. I don't write music for sissy ears.

Quote by Béla Bartók
Competitions are for horses, not artists.
I believe your guitar to be a 1960s model Fender Newporter or a copy of one (see attached photo of a 1966 model)