Hey guys, I have a budget of around $600 and I'm looking to put together a decent rig, just guitar and amp. I'm thinking of dedicating about $250 to the amp and the rest to the guitar. I play from jazz and blues to moderate hard rock, not really any metal. Influences are Zeppelin, Hendrix, Clapton, GnR, John Mayer, various jazz musicians etc. Combo or head and cab doesn't matter really as long as it's within budget, which is unfortunately my most limiting and important factor. If anyone can suggest something that's over budget but really worth it, i really don't mind. Currently I've been looking at Tech 21's, Jet city, Blackstar, Boss(Katana) etc. Any help or opinions at all are appreciated, thanks guys
What guitars appeal to you? Buying something that looks cool to you will inspire you to pick it up!
'16 Gibson LP Standard T, '95 Fender MIM Strat
Helix Rack, Jetcity JCA50H w/ JCA24s+
you may want to rethink the budget distribution. amp is the key to your tone. if you buy used (and for that budget you'll have to) I'd look at a Peavey Valveking as it has a really good clean sound and a decent drive channel for most of what you play. as for guitar well a strat style would most likely work for you. perhaps a used HSS MIM strat that would get you in the ball park for most of the bands you mentioned.
Quote by Udjine
Check Squier Standard Telecaster (UG score 8.7) or Yamaha Pacifica 112V (UG score 9) and Yamaha THR10X (UG score 9.1) as they are versatile enough for your music genres.

I put little to no weight in reviews. ESPECIALLY entry products, as they haven't had much else to compare to, or don't know enough to accurately comprehend strengths and weaknesses.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
For the amps check out used Peavey Classic 30, Peavey ValveKing, Carvin Nomad/Belair (Carvin has a bunch of amps that do these styles well for $400 and under).

If you want silent headphone options or recording options and can deal with less wattage (less clean headroom and earlier break up more so than volume) the Peavey Mini Heads may be a good option too - ValveKing MH and Classic MH.

For the guitar you may like something with a Humbucker in the bridge and a single coil in the middle and neck. Used Fender HSS Made In Mexico Stratocaster is a safe choice here.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
DirtFarmerHonestly, before this, I was thinking of putting my whole budget into a guitar and was probably going to go with an Agile, Epiphone, Prs Se 245, etc. Basically, LP type guitars appeal to me, but it seems that an HSS strat is obviously more versatile. Yet, I cant seem to draw myself away from the LP man!
Guys, how are the JCA2212 or 2112 combos? And the Bugera V22? I'm hearing good things about them.
The problem I see with the LP Standard look in inexpensive guitars is that a fair proportion of the production cost must be going into non-functional bling that might just look tacky, rather than things that make the guitar work well. In the Gibson look, I would by looking at the aesthetically simpler LP Jr and LP Special designs, but an HSS strat of some kind would be a strong contender.

How loud do you need? If you really want a tube amp, I'm another who thinks that less guitar and more amp would be the way to go.
well if you want a LP then go for it. it won't really do Hendrix or Meyer though (vintage Clapton yes post 70 not so much). in the end it's all about what works for you. I have very limited experience with Jet City but they get good rews around here from trusted sources so it's an option.
I'll second metalmingee's recommendation of the Carvin Nomad or Belair. I'll also add the Peavey Delta Blues 115- I know several are on Reverb right now for $400+.

As for the desire to have an LP style guitar, check out Godin.

https://reverb.com/brand/godin?price_max=300&product_type=electric-guitars&sort=price%7Casc&page=

http://www.ebay.com/sch/Electric-Guitars/33034/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=Godin&_dcat=33034&rt=nc&_mPrRngCbx=1&_udlo&_udhi=300

Notes:

1) the SD series guitars are LP/Strat hybrids. They come as HSS or HSH; 22 fret or 24 fret. Tremolo. As I recall, they're all 24.75" scale.

2) the Triumph and Radiator guitars have relatively hot singlecoils, somewhere short of true P90s

3) just beyond the $300 price limit I set in my searches, you start to see their other LP style guitars worth considering, like the LGs, Empires and Cores, that have P90s and HBs. You also find SDs in near pristine condition.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
I didn't play LP's for years. Then I decided to buy one to test it out, plus I love the look so at the very least it would be an art piece on my wall. I got the EPI LP Standard Plus Top pro. I fell in love with it. Ended up changing out the pickups but the feel and look of the guitar was amazing. Dunno why I waited so long to get one.

But I'd lean more towards a Strat with H/S/S because it's so versatile if I was just starting out and knew what I know now. But like my first post here, if something calls to you get it. You'll see it when you get home and feel an urge to pick it up. And that's what really matter IMO.
'16 Gibson LP Standard T, '95 Fender MIM Strat
Helix Rack, Jetcity JCA50H w/ JCA24s+
Ok this is going off on a completely different tangent from the previous choices; but I've heard good things about, and almost settled on...the Peavey Bandit 112. Good, bad, or otherwise??
Quote by eragon1452
Ok this is going off on a completely different tangent from the previous choices; but I've heard good things about, and almost settled on...the Peavey Bandit 112. Good, bad, or otherwise??

somewhere In between. some love it as it takes pedals well and can be a workhorse. some don't love it as it lacks the warmth of a tube amp.
Quote by monwobobbo
somewhere In between. some love it as it takes pedals well and can be a workhorse. some don't love it as it lacks the warmth of a tube amp.

This basically verbatim. Have a Bandit silverstripe w/ a 112 ext cab I used for years and is now collecting dust. Workhorse, takes pedals extremely well, but doesn't sound anything like a good tube amp.
I have a Bandit, I use it as my practice amp now, but I've gigged with it plenty of times when I was in school. As monwobobbo and xander said, it doesn't sound like a tube amp, and you may or may not be satisfied with how it does with the music you play. That said, the clean channel does great for jazz, as it's sterile and stays clean. If you're still at $250 for the amp it's a good choice.
Ibanez UV777 - Carvin TL60 & 727 - Jackson KE3
Splawn QuickRod - Mesa Stiletto & RoadKing - Peavey Ultra+ - Peavey Bandit
Some pedlulz & cabz

7 String Legion