HI
for the past 5 years i"ve owned an american deluxe strat (Ash model) and although it's a fantastic instrument i"m considering to upgrade it. The guitar has right now 3 single coils N3 noisless which sound great but because i"m more into jazz and progressive rock/metal these days, they don't suite my needs. i am thinking of having a hsh configuration with seymore duncan or suhr pickup. Do you think i should switch the pickups? and if you think i should which pickups do you recomend?
feel free to suggest other cool ideas
Thanks!
1) what amp do you have?
1a) what's your budget?

2) I'd probably opt for Suhr or another boutique/custom winder over Seymour Duncan.

3) you might want to have a separate guitar for jazz vs program/metal. See Alex Skolnick.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
i say to look into lace. i absolutely love them in my 1997 USA tele plus (s2).

we do need to know your budget though.

and as Tony said, we need to know if you are talking full sized buckers or SC buckers.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by tom1842
HI
for the past 5 years i"ve owned an american deluxe strat (Ash model) and although it's a fantastic instrument i"m considering to upgrade it. The guitar has right now 3 single coils N3 noisless which sound great but because i"m more into jazz and progressive rock/metal these days, they don't suite my needs. i am thinking of having a hsh configuration with seymore duncan or suhr pickup. Do you think i should switch the pickups? and if you think i should which pickups do you recomend?
feel free to suggest other cool ideas
Thanks!

The American Deluxe Ash Strat is already routed for HSH so full-sized humbuckers in the bridge and neck are fine.

Check out the various offerings from Seymour Duncan and DiMarzio or if you need something a tad more exotic, the English Bare Knuckle PUs will be very nice and affordable, given the favorable exchange rates.
With that budget, the world is pretty much your oyster.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by Tony Done
I suggest keeping the current loaded pickguard intact in case you ever want to sell the guitar.

+1 great words of wisdom
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Quote by Tony Done
I suggest keeping the current loaded pickguard intact in case you ever want to sell the guitar.

That said, some manufacturers sell pre-wired pick guards making the swap a 15 minute ordeal. I recently went this route on my American standard and put an EMG pre-wired pick guard in. Barely more than 15 minutes from taking the old strings off before I put the new ones on. Price is within your budget too.
Quote by Jeffh40
That said, some manufacturers sell pre-wired pick guards making the swap a 15 minute ordeal. I recently went this route on my American standard and put an EMG pre-wired pick guard in. Barely more than 15 minutes from taking the old strings off before I put the new ones on. Price is within your budget too.

while handy, yes, but the options are much more limited, and more expensive.

but i do agree that it would be best way to go with a new pickguard, and to load it with the rest of the components
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
trashedlostfdup

I do believe Lace makes loaded pickguards not sure about HSH config.
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

tom1842
Can you please be more specific about pickup models? i heard great things about bare knuckles, suhr, seymoure duncan, lace etc... but i dont know which models would sound good on a strat. I need the neck position to be able to play heavy stuff and the neck position for the jazzy stuff. The middle pickup would be for funk/ single coil sound.
Thanks again!
If you love the guitar over all, just switch out the pickups. If you don't want to lose the sounds you have, look at buying another guitar. Switching out the pickups in your Fender is as easy as buying a new pickguard and wiring it up.
Dave @ Seymour Duncan