I went from using 112 combos, to heads with 412s with no step in between. Recently I picked up a 212 cab. I noticed when I first plugged it in (switch on Mono), I thought it sounded crappy. Thin, no low end, mids were "meh". After fooling around with all kinds of things on the amp, I lastly switched the cab over to stereo. It sounded really good, speaker(s) were very full, nice lows, more mids, more power too. I thought something was wrong with the wiring, but I wasn't too worried about at that moment.

I noticed today that I was only getting sound out of the one speaker that I was plugged into. Makes sense as the switch is on Stereo. Switched it back to mono, and power gets cut in almost half, poor bass response, and loss of mids again. But both speakers are on. I'm just really confused as to why these speakers sound so much better when only one is being powered vs both? I believe my 412 is wired in series parallel, switching from 16 ohm series in mono, to 8 ohm parallel in stereo. The 212 is wired up in parallel only, 8 ohm running both on mono, 16 ohm running one speaker in stereo. I'm curious if I were to wire them up in series and run the amp at 16 ohms if that would fix my issue?

Info:

Amp: 6505+
Cab #1: Peavey XXX 412
Speakers: Sheffield XXX 16ohm 70 watt

Cab #2: Randall RD212-V30
Speakers: Celestion V30 16ohm 60 watt

I do not notice a difference in sound really switching the amp between 8 and 16 ohms. I also tried running a separate cable for left and right in stereo. That just made it sound exactly like the cab does in mono.
Last edited by Xander_X at Jan 29, 2017,
Roc8995 WOW! I checked the wires .... I never even thought of that. Idk if it's because I'm brain dead, or because my brain didn't even think that they would have come to me out of phase. Thanks! What a pain in the ass ....
Xander_X
You have convinced me to never buy a new Randall cabinet. Your story is very disappointing but I'm glad you got it sorted out!
Guitars:
Ibanez RG1570 Prestige
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
metalmingee
FWIW i have a randall cab from a decade ago that is great. i love the 212+115's (all in one), and wouldn't hesitate to buy another.

randall makes good products and the ones i have had haven't really had issues with mine, and rarely do i even see one thing about that is negative.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Yeah. I think I got one that was made on Friday at 4:30pm by a guy who was quiting. Its all good now. No issues that I couldn't fix.
trashedlostfdup Xander_X
I guess it's just disappointing to see and no company is perfect. I had an old RG100SC combo that was built like a tank so no doubts about their old stuff.

There are just so many options out there for a cab these days.
Guitars:
Ibanez RG1570 Prestige
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
Quote by metalmingee
trashedlostfdup Xander_X
I guess it's just disappointing to see and no company is perfect. I had an old RG100SC combo that was built like a tank so no doubts about their old stuff.

There are just so many options out there for a cab these days.

i get you. i have owned two rg100es' and a century 100, and they (being over twenty years old) were bulletproof. one did have issues after a while, but it was badly beaten by the owner, and bought it forr $40 so it wasn't a big deal.

but yeah anything manufactured today is subject to a few screw-ups here and there.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Sheffield speakers aside, all kinds of feelings on those, I love Peavey's cabs. They're still made in the USA (last I checked), still using pine, high grade tolex, and other components. Just built really well, and the 80s ones are just straight up tanks!

Honestly will probably sell this and buy the Peavey Invective 212 cab. when that comes out.
Quote by Xander_X
Sheffield speakers aside, all kinds of feelings on those, I love Peavey's cabs. They're still made in the USA (last I checked), still using pine, high grade tolex, and other components. Just built really well, and the 80s ones are just straight up tanks!

Honestly will probably sell this and buy the Peavey Invective 212 cab. when that comes out.

I have a pair of older peavey cabs with k85's that I love. never liked shiffield speakers.

also i am pretty sure that they are birch, and not pine, but i don't intend to split hairs.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
trashedlostfdup You may very well be correct. I know their new 6505 cab and Invective is pine. Their old ones may be birch. I just know I love their build quality.

As far as the sheffields go, I really like the XXX. They're often compared to a V30, though I think they sound like a cross between a v30 and a G12H-75 ... So basically a Creamback H with more mids.