Looking for opinions. Legitimate learning tool or just a toy?
Be excellent to each other ☺
Paully
I haven't played it for myself but from what I've seen and read... I would recommend it strictly to an absolute beginner. It's definitely a good learning tool but it's very limited in what it offers. I would say most people after playing 6 months or so wouldn't get any benefit from it.
Can it help you? Probably, at least if you're just starting out. Are there ways of learning guitar out there that I would dare to call objectively better? Absolutely. I think it's price would be better spent towards guitar lessons.
Quote by Jet Penguin
Theory: Not rules, just tools.

Quote by Hail
*note that by fan i mean that guy who wants his friends to know he knows this totally obscure hip band that only he knows about with 236 views on youtube. lookin' at Kev here
Oh definitely, I've been learning rhythm guitar for over a year and the transition to lead is going smoothly with the game.
Quote by Kevätuhri
Can it help you? Probably, at least if you're just starting out. Are there ways of learning guitar out there that I would dare to call objectively better? Absolutely. I think it's price would be better spent towards guitar lessons.
TBH, you'd be lucky to get 2 lessons for the price. What it is is a reasonable practice accessory.
I tried the original version then the 2014 version, i could never get on with it both times,

I feel like you have to train yourself to associate the colors on the game with strings so they become muscle memory.
I was struggling to play simple songs on there because i would get confused with the strings or it suddenly changed in difficulty and hit me with a chord from nowhere expecting me react to play it at song speed. I know you can push a button to repeat sections in slow motion but it felt like a hassle to me.

If i was an absolute beginner just starting it would be excellent as it covers all the basics and you would need in lessons and you could learn the colors.

As someone who is used to reading from tabs - i hated it.

As a sidenote - if you haven't tried computer amp modelling before the cable it comes with is a good starter way to connect your guitar to a pc. or to a console using the games own effects.
i was looking at the trailers for a while and the only reason I'm not buying it is bc i already know how to play guitar. But if I was a beginner I think it gives a good overview on what you're suppose to do.
"ba doo doo ba doo doo ba doo daa"
- earth,wind, and fire
Rocksmith is a fun game and a good way to keep yourself engaged and interested in the guitar, and it also can introduce you to a lot of new music. However, it's not very good at teaching you to play the guitar.

The way it presents songs a little bit at a time is completely counter-intuitive to how you actually learn songs on the guitar, and there's an over-reliance on you responding to visual stimuli rather than aural. You end up playing stuff in response to what you see on screen rather than what you can hear - you're learning to watch rather than listen and listening is one of the most important skills when it comes to playing the guitar, whilst watching is largely irrelevant.

If you want something to fun that will complement actual lessons it's obviously more productive than any other video game, but it's not going to teach you how to play.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
I went ahead and ordered it. I'll see.
Be excellent to each other ☺
Paully
I have it. I'm fairly noob when it comes to guitar, I'd call myself the guy that just finished the tutorial and has started playing the real game. There are a few things it has helped me with relatively well.

1. It takes your attention away from your hands and prevents you from focusing in too hard on your hand placement on the fretboard and picking/strumming. This is absolutely only beneficial if you have solid mechanics and fundamentals in place already otherwise it would lead to bad habits. I tend to obsess over mechanics and have a hard time relaxing and just jamming and having to switch back and forth from watching the screen and my hands has helped me immensely in gathering a better feel for the instrument and trust in myself and just noodling along with a bit more confidence.

2. It gives you something to do. The best and brightest of practicing any discipline always refer the practicing deliberately and intensely with purpose. The reality is we can't always do that, if we could we'd be proficient and not looking for help. With the game you can do a myriad of things, practice a certain line in a song, play the mini games to build on your skills. Use the repeat feature as a pseudo piano instructor to grill something into your head. Etc.

3. It really helps with rhythm for a beginner. I worked my way up to the full song rather quickly with some of the easier chordsy songs and it helps build on your internal timers and pacing becuase it forces you to keep moving. It was hard when I started, I'd make a mistake and then stop playing or pause and dwell on it momentarily. Rocksmith doesn't allow you too.

4. It makes you move around the fretboard. As beginners we often tend to stick up above the 7th or even 5th fret because the 11-20 chords we know are all basic. Rocksmith gets you plucking around and using the entire fretboard in a way that isn't just practicing scales and noodling around and it forces you to get more comfortable with the entire guitar.

Will it make you a guitar God? No. Can you pick up a guitar for the first time and just get good playing rocksmith? No. But if you're a "just finished Justin guitar beginner course" level player it does and can help you get better and work on your fundamentals while giving you another avenue to learn some songs.

That's just my .02
Last edited by PT_crytzer at Feb 2, 2017,
I think it's good on all levels. It has the lessons and beginner skills for those starting out. There are a variety of songs and packs available for the intermediate players. Also exposing you to other bands artists and songs you wouldn't of learned organically. There are other tools to help learn scales and modes and that can be useful for lead writing and advanced players as well. I use it to jam modes and scales and find stuff to use in songs I'm working on. It does take time to get used to the presentation if your used to traditional tabs and such though but it's useful and you get used to it as you use it more. I go back and forth on it in spurts.
Live Rig:
Peavey VK (power amp)
R&R Amps SL/LD (preamp)
EB Volume
Zoom G3
Morpheus Dive bomber
Dunlop 95Q
Guitar-any in my stable
5150 Cab (V30/Sheffield X-pat)
Seems decent for beginners, though when I tried it I already had 10 years of guitar behind me. For advanced players it's more of a rhythm game than a guitar learning tool, where you can have fun trying to get combos and high scores.

You do need a guitar with good pickups though, or the game will have trouble interpreting notes and effects. Also, the tabs they use aren't always accurate, for example the Symphony of Destruction chorus riff is different from how Mustaine plays it in a lesson I saw on Youtube.
The more you say 'epic' the less it means.
Quote by chrisazgo1

I feel like you have to train yourself to associate the colors on the game with strings so they become muscle memory.
I was struggling to play simple songs on there because i would get confused with the strings or it suddenly changed in difficulty and hit me with a chord from nowhere expecting me react to play it at song speed. I know you can push a button to repeat sections in slow motion but it felt like a hassle to me.

If i was an absolute beginner just starting it would be excellent as it covers all the basics and you would need in lessons and you could learn the colors.

As someone who is used to reading from tabs - i hated it.

As a sidenote - if you haven't tried computer amp modelling before the cable it comes with is a good starter way to connect your guitar to a pc. or to a console using the games own effects.

I found a set of Dr Neon coloured strings on amazon  which match the Rocksmith colours - They helped immensely early on but I don't think I'll need them once I change strings now that my hand/eye/muscle memory has developed. I also made the decision early on-ish to invert the string order in settings - Doing this ensures the string order is consistent with Tablature and also Yousician. It's not so immediately intuitive visually but our brains soon adapt to however we set it. There is no right way but for me I felt making the change has been worthwhile

Oddly I found that whilst inverted was initially harder to anticipate the chords as they fly towards me, It was actually easier to place my fingers when concentrating on the notes as they appeared on the Rocksmith fretboard; inverting Rocksmiths string display made it  harder (initially) and easier both at the same time! - My eye/brain/muscles adapted soon enough though and I do think making the change was worthwhile.

With my Electric guitar I use it pretty much with Rocksmith exclusively. I use my Acoustic guitar for everything else: Yousician, Youtube, and Ultimate Guitar etc. I feel like Rocksmith really motivates me to practice repetitions consistently; session mode is particularly good for driving boring old scales. Usually I'll play some Rocksmith tunes, then practice some favourite with my acoustic using youtube.

Sometimes I'll buy the Rocksmith version of a tune I'm already working on acoustically in order to  nail it,  or vice versa go from Rocksmith to Youtube. Kansas's Dust in the Wind is a good example of how  Rocksmith can utterly fail at teaching.  I had to teach myself the principles of Travis fingerpicking on Youtube because the RS mechanics of gradually introducing notes is SO wrong for fingerstyle  technique. I imagine the mechanics must be inappropriate for many other techniques too.  The only way really to learn/play fingerstyle  on Rocksmith is to turn the difficulty to 100% and set speed to its slowest setting, then try to keep up!!

SO - when I learn a Rocksmith tune I'll often look for lessons elsewhere too, just to see if there's something I'm missing that RS isn't telling me.

Despite its numerous quirks, I still think the software is amazing and of immense value as a practice aid.
"He's NOT the messiah. He's a very naughty boy!
Last edited by MyLittleEye at May 26, 2017,