Hi everyone, a few years back I got a squire strat, and I wanted to upgrade it a bit. Its a decent guitar, but definitely needs some improvement, and I was thinking the pickups would be the first thing to do. I want some that are good for a wide range of music. I play mostly 90's alternative stuff, but I dabble in most other genres too (metal, rock, blues). I've heard good things about the fender fat '50s and the 69s, do you guys have any recommendations? Also, I don't want active pickups and I already have a guitar with humbuckers, so I'm not looking for stacked pickups either. Thanks!

Jay Turser: JT-134DC
Epiphone: G-400
Gibson: SG Special Faded Cherry

Line 6: Spider III 15-watt
Marshall Haze 40

DOD FX65 Chorus
Danelectro Fish & Chips EQ
EH4800 Small Stone Phase Shifter
Dunlop CryBaby Wah
Deltalab Tube Overdrive TO1
^ yeah side-by-side (usually rails) type pickups sound closer to humbuckers (but still not exact). stacked ones are usually designed to sound like "real" single coils but without the hum (with varying degrees of success).

regarding the upgrades it really depends on your budget and whether the guitar has sentimental value- if you're never going to sell it because it's e.g. your first guitar it can be worth upgrading, but if it has no sentimental value it's probably not worth spending too much on upgrades because just buying a better guitar is likely a better idea.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
^ yeah side-by-side (usually rails) type pickups sound closer to humbuckers (but still not exact). stacked ones are usually designed to sound like "real" single coils but without the hum (with varying degrees of success).

regarding the upgrades it really depends on your budget and whether the guitar has sentimental value- if you're never going to sell it because it's e.g. your first guitar it can be worth upgrading, but if it has no sentimental value it's probably not worth spending too much on upgrades because just buying a better guitar is likely a better idea.

agree. check out guitarfetish.com for some affordable options that would upgrade your guitar without spending a lot.
^ Yeah I meant to say except I was too lazy, there are some decent reasonably-priced upgrade options as well, which might be worth doing even if it doesn't have too much sentimental value (as long as you actually like the guitar). I haven't tried them but I've heard good things about tonerider, irongear, and entwistle pickups.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?