Okay, so I'm about to lose my mind!...

I have 2 amps, fender hot rod deluxe and a Marshall AFD100, a selection of guitars such as les Paul's, PRS, telecasters and jag and on ALL of them when on the neck pickup playing distortion there is a notable and irritating rattling/buzz mainly on the G string open or fretted.

It can't be the amp, or a specific guitar, it can't be due to either single coil or hum buckers, have changed the guitar lead,. What is happening!?! Aaaaaaargh!
How bizarre. I would say the typical bullshit of it could be a improperly grounded plug or florescent lights / some signal flying through the air.
I'll try it tonight, see if the room changes the issue and/or plugs.

If it is the room, how could that effect certain frequencies like this? any suggestions to fix it in the room it's currently in 33db ?
N1ckvh
That's just my way of trouble shooting, if you don't believe it's the amps or guitar then change the entire setting.
It could be the plug or lights in that room as PRS Rock suggested, and believe or not I had something similar when playing through the computer, and it was a loose bit on a lamp that rattled at certain frequencies. (drove me nuts)
If you move to a new room and it goes away, you know for sure it's in the room not your gear.
If I could suggest something no matter what the issue is, it would be a good power strip with surge protection, and if you can afford it a power conditioner, I use one all all my computer gear.
are you sure something isn't rattling in the room? for examples, at my studio if i am playing the snares will rattle more notes than others. typically the neck pickup is a little more bassy than the bridge, so the g-string could rattle that.

but i agree to get a power conditioner. best investment. i have four in the studio and one at the house. it will kill a lot more noise than you think.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
I do have a furman power conditioner, which I am running most of my studio through so I can always run the amps through that, to see if it works or makes a difference. I'll do that tonight when testing in different rooms of the house.

33db & trashedlostfdup if there was something in the room effecting this, would it come through the amp? As the noise isn't noticeable around the room, so it has to be effecting the frequency in the amps...

I don't have anything like a snare that would jump out at me as something to cause a rattle. its going to be a really long winded trail and error of removing things piece by piece to see if there is any notable change...
so I have moved the amp to another room and also tried powering via the furman power conditioner and the problem is still there... This is driving me nuts!

Any other suggestions?

The ONLY thing I can think of is the strings... It's the only constant between guitars. I'm using Ernie ball super slinky 9-42. Could this be the issue with distortion and neck pickup on any guitar and amp? I'd be very surprised as this surely would be a bigger known issue... Wound G string maybe?...
N1ckvh
I looked at your picture in the other thread, that would drive me nuts too.
Try changing the strings, worse case you got a new set of strings.
could your pickup be too close to the strings?
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
trashedlostfdup

I don't think so, on one of the les Paul's I lowered the pickups so they're below the humbucker mount, I even moved the pole pieces and no change.
Quote by N1ckvh
trashedlostfdup

I don't think so, on one of the les Paul's I lowered the pickups so they're below the humbucker mount, I even moved the pole pieces and no change.

Well I'm out of ideas and I've no idea to explain it. LOL.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
trashedlostfdup haha it's an odd one ay?

I did just plug in quickly on my lunch and noticed something... I usually have my tone and volume pots turned to 10. If I put the tone to 2 or less the issue doesn't seem to be there? Or at least it isn't noticeable. I only had time to test on one guitar, but this is baffling! not had a chance to put new strings on yet...