Hello, I'm new to the forums and new to playing in general. I started trying to teach myself how to play a for a couple months now progress is veerrrrry slow, not as fun as I thought it would be but I'm going to commit(I already bought the guitar and there's no taking it back at this point). My problem right now is I'm a big fan of early-mid '80s new wave/stadium rock and glam metal, so I went to guitar center looking for pedals and the reps there at the time were millennials and had no idea what I was talking about or I didn't explain properly to them that I wanted pedals to make my guitar sound like this. Guitar comes on @48s

When all was said and done, I was talked into and walked out the door with a ds-1 which is was not matching up with what I wanted. Before I go back could someone help me out and tell me what to look for before I go back there. I'll go with the boss pedal again they also had mooer too wouldn't mind suggestion for those pedals because I don't much space in my room and like how small they were.
Last edited by kmarsh.igpx at Jan 31, 2017,
What amp and guitar are you using?
www.facebook.com/yourbadinfluence
You could try the MXR prime distortion. Its cheap. A little picky with some amps, but is advertised for that stadium rock sound. Guitar center should have it. That's where I got mine. Not a bad little pedal.
Ronnie Montrose used to dial his sound in like that- check out his Speed of Sound album- so I looked him up. Unfortunately, my usual sources were spotty at best. I know he used a pretty simple rig in some ways, but some of the pedals themselves were quite complex, like the Fox Electronics (Fox Rox) Captain Coconuts (Octave/Fuzz/Vibe). Besides that, an array of delays and a phase shifter.

Other players recipes might have had Compressors, Chorus, and a good OD & Distortion,
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Have you considered a multi effects pedal?

Something like the Zoom G3 would be a great investment. It'll do all the sounds you want, plus many more. As well as being a good effects pedal, it's also a great practice tool with it's built in looper & drum sequencer and gives you the ability to practice through headphones.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
+1 on the g3. It will also show you the fx you really like if you want to go individual pedals later with a better amp.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
metalzone or (if you can still find one) digitech tl2 metal distortion.

i'm honestly not joking.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by dannyalcatraz
Ronnie Montrose used to dial his sound in like that- check out his Speed of Sound album- so I looked him up. Unfortunately, my usual sources were spotty at best. I know he used a pretty simple rig in some ways, but some of the pedals themselves were quite complex, like the Fox Electronics (Fox Rox) Captain Coconuts (Octave/Fuzz/Vibe). Besides that, an array of delays and a phase shifter.

love Ronnie and you reminded me I need to get that album had it back in the day but not now. Ronnie used an EH Big Muff back then a fair bit and that might work for the OP as well. in the song he posted it sounded like some delay and reverb (although it could have been a wide chorus as well). was being used as well.

Other players recipes might have had Compressors, Chorus, and a good OD & Distortion,
Quote by Dave_Mc
metalzone or (if you can still find one) digitech tl2 metal distortion.

i'm honestly not joking.

The video wouldn't load for me when I first responded. Now that it will, yes a metal zone can do just that. Its just tricky to learn the controls at first because they are very sensitive.
someone quick check the temperature in hell 2 people have seriously recommended a metalzone.
Quote by monwobobbo
someone quick check the temperature in hell 2 people have seriously recommended a metalzone.
some people like them! Just like some dislike the 6505
Quote by Liaztraht
some people like them! Just like some dislike the 6505

some people like having others shit on them to but I can't see myself recommending it

I know and for certain sounds (Cannibal Corpse) they work.
monwobobbo Well it works fine for those 80's metal leads when set right. Sometimes they are the right tool for the job. At least the jobs that require a specific tool that can only be used for that specific job.
Quote by Liaztraht
monwobobbo Well it works fine for those 80's metal leads when set right. Sometimes they are the right tool for the job. At least the jobs that require a specific tool that can only be used for that specific job.

can't argue that. the MZ is one of the most maligned pedals out there though. it's easy to use it poorly and get tones that make you want to go Van Goh on yourself (he cut off one of his ears for those who don't know). rarely has any one on this site recommended using one in any serious capacity. 2 in one day just figured the end was near.
monwobobbo Well I loved mine. But it was modded... A lot. Used as a preamp (straight to an art mic pre then into a power amp) it was killer. I disabled some tone gyrators and expanded the frequency band of the mids.

And stock was better as a preamp.
You might want to try an OD instead, like a Tube screamer. In any case, something that'll boost the treble is probably what you want. Maybe some fuzz as well? For that the most popular would be the Big Muff.

Or consider a Pisdiyauwot. It's one of the most versatile distortion pedals out there, so I guess it could do glam metal?
monwobobbo

YES! Forgot about the Big Muff!

No question about the delays, either. I wasn't kidding when I said he had multiples. Some of the rigs I saw had as many as 5...not counting his rack mounted stuff.

Soooo...the recipe is sorta:

1) OD: Tube Screamer or Rat variant. (I personally prefer TS variants)
2) Distortion and/or Fuzz. On Distortion, you don't need anything particularly high gain. A Big Muff type fuzz pedal would be a solid choice. Depending on the particular pedal, your Distortion can get Fuzzy, or your Fuzz can add Distortion.
3) Delay and/or Reverb. You don't need a super high end one, because you want to dial in just enough to give your tone a sense of space.
4) Chorus and/or Phaser and/or Flanger. Again, you don't need a whole bunch of bells & whistles, just a nice sounding workhorse. You'll be using just enough of these to flavor, not define or overwhelm your core tone.
5) Compressor. Helps get the sustain and tightness. Not strictly necessary, because some ODs and Fuzzes can compress your tone if dialed in to do so.

There are a host of options in each category. You don't need to spend a bunch of money- some inexpensive (sometimes discontinued) pedals are perfect. And some expensive ones are overkill...or entirely not the tool for the job.

But some of the boutique pedals are jam-packed with functionality, or sound soooooo good.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Fun pedals to help keep your interest in playing, i would suggest a wah pedal and a delay. Ive never found a distortion pedal that i like except the ibanez classic metal, so cant help there but the wah and delay are just fun to play around with.
kmarsh.igpx you can also check out Tonebridge app by UG. It's 100% free and all you need to use it is a guitar adapter for your iPhone/iPad. Adapters' prices vary from $20 to $100, but with the app you will get thousands of effects. A pedal costs $50-$100 and usually has only one effect, so Tonebridge with an adaptor is really worth the deal.

If you have an iPhone or iPad, you can give it a try without the adapter - you can preview any sound in the app and hear how the effect sounds like. Cheers!
Quote by monwobobbo

i'm honestly not joking. for that really saturated type of lead tone, considering he doesn't have a tube amp (so a lot of the usual tricks won't work so well), i reckon either of those two pedals will work well, and won't require him to spend a fortune (which would be better spent on an amp).

i mean for the really crazy stuff I do like my tl2 (ages since i've tried a metalzone but i remember it being similarish).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
i'm honestly not joking. for that really saturated type of lead tone, considering he doesn't have a tube amp (so a lot of the usual tricks won't work so well), i reckon either of those two pedals will work well, and won't require him to spend a fortune (which would be better spent on an amp).

i mean for the really crazy stuff I do like my tl2 (ages since i've tried a metalzone but i remember it being similarish).

hey Dave just bustin your stones. I don't hate the MTZ but obviously many do. when was the last time that pedal was actually recommended here with a straight face . I might be more inclined to go with a big muff but if someone can find a good use for a MZ then more power to them.
oh yeah i know you were only messing with me, no worries. i don't often recommend one (i do sometimes recommend the tl2, though), but sometimesit's the right tool for the job,.

i'd be scared a muff might not be tight enough for that (and maybe not saturated enough either), but maybe that's just the ones i've tried. EDIT: actually listening to it again a muff might well work just fine. at least one of the more saturated types (my biyang muff clone would probably do that).
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Feb 1, 2017,
Quote by Dave_Mc
oh yeah i know you were only messing with me, no worries. i don't often recommend one (i do sometimes recommend the tl2, though), but sometimesit's the right tool for the job,.

i'd be scared a muff might not be tight enough for that (and maybe not saturated enough either), but maybe that's just the ones i've tried. EDIT: actually listening to it again a muff might well work just fine. at least one of the more saturated types (my biyang muff clone would probably do that).

the tone in the vid has a ton of delay and reverb on it which fattens the sound. just listened again and it doesn't seem like it's an overly distorted tone but it is kinda buried under all the fx.
monwobobbo Dave_Mc
There is a mod for the mz anyone can do to help smooth the harshness and even out the sound. No soldering involved. Just clipping a couple parts. Capacitors c25 and c35.
Quote by Liaztraht
monwobobbo Dave_Mc
There is a mod for the mz anyone can do to help smooth the harshness and even out the sound. No soldering involved. Just clipping a couple parts. Capacitors c25 and c35.

heard that before. as a rule I don't recommend gear that has to be modded unless other options aren't available (or that is the perfect answer). the OP is a really new player so I figure it's best to keep things simple. for guys that have a bunch of experience then I might go for stuff like that but not for a noobie.
Quote by monwobobbo
heard that before. as a rule I don't recommend gear that has to be modded unless other options aren't available (or that is the perfect answer). the OP is a really new player so I figure it's best to keep things simple. for guys that have a bunch of experience then I might go for stuff like that but not for a noobie.
true. Mostly shared the info for you and Dave_mc, my bad there

I also still stand by by original suggestion of an mxr prime. Not as saturated as the mz. But can do that stadium rock and older metal really well for the price. Easy to use too.
Quote by Liaztraht
true. Mostly shared the info for you and Dave_mc, my bad there

I also still stand by by original suggestion of an mxr prime. Not as saturated as the mz. But can do that stadium rock and older metal really well for the price. Easy to use too.

no that's fine and how I took it. just explaining a bit of my philosophy on gear recommendations. agree that the MXR prime would likely work fine. lots of options. the tougher part of the tone he wants is getting the delay and reverb dialed in
Yeah. Perhaps best bet is a decent multi effects unit. It will have everything needed built in. I'm not familiar with them as I have never had or needed one but It looks like the g3 was suggested. That or one of the boss units could work
Quote by monwobobbo
the tone in the vid has a ton of delay and reverb on it which fattens the sound. just listened again and it doesn't seem like it's an overly distorted tone but it is kinda buried under all the fx.

yeah. i was just working on the basis it seemed pretty middy and saturated.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?