So after a long time of using active EMGs on my LTD 1001 Deluxe i bought used Jackson DK2S MIJ with Seymour Duncan passives. so far the difference in sound is noticeable, they sound a little thinner, not as ballsy and hot as EMGs. should i use more gain on the amp with passives? i am noticing lots of reduce of the output on the amp..
The pick of destiny...
I switch back and forth between EMG 81 and Seymour Duncan too (JB in one and a Distortion in the other)- just talking bridge pickups here.

Make sure you set the height of the pickup to where you like/want it.

The EMGs are hotter - that preamp and battery is sending a stronger signal. The difference between the 81 and JB is more noticeable to me than the 81 to Distortion.

You can put in a clean boost or just up the gain a little bit somewhere along the line and see if that does it for you.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
I believe those came with a JB in the bridge IIRC. The JB is a great pup, and one of my faves, but its not as aggressive in the low end as an EMG 81. Very tight highs and mids though. To get a sound similar to that in a DUNCAN your looking at getting something along the lines of a Distortion. They've got the output and aggressiveness of am 81 but warmer and more bottom end, less in the highs.

I use the Distortion and 81 for straight up metal like Thrash, and the JB for hair metal stuff and classic rock.
Last edited by Xander_X at Jan 31, 2017,
Quote by Xander_X
I believe those came with a JB in the bridge IIRC. The JB is a great pup, and one of my faces, but its not as aggressive in the low end as an EMG 81. Very tight highs and mids though. To get a sound similar to that in a DUNCAN your looking at getting something along the lines of a Distortion. They've got the output and aggressiveness of am 81 but warmer and more bottom end, less in the highs.

I use the Distortion and 81 for straight up metal like Thrash, and the JB for hair metal stuff and classic rock.

Me too! JB for hairbands is great! I don't care for the JB for thrash stuff though it was a staple at one time. Much prefer the Distortion over the JB for heavy stuff.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
metalmingee Ha! That's great we basically posted the same thing at the same time!

Yeah they used to use the JB for thrash metal, Megadeth for instance. But it really needs more effects behind it to do that stuff than the Distortion, 81, or a plethora of other pups made today.
Quote by Sabbath_84
So after a long time of using active EMGs on my LTD 1001 Deluxe i bought used Jackson DK2S MIJ with Seymour Duncan passives. so far the difference in sound is noticeable, they sound a little thinner, not as ballsy and hot as EMGs. should i use more gain on the amp with passives? i am noticing lots of reduce of the output on the amp..

yes.

or a boost or overdrive pedal as metalmingee said.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I've never had any problems getting a killer thrash tone with a JB. And I much prefer using them over something like an 81 any day of the week.

Different stokes I guess.

I like the JB because it has a lot of output while still being good for other styles. It even has decent cleans. You don't get that with an 81 or a Distortion. And I say this as someone who really likes the Distortion.

Something I would suggest OP trying is upgrading the trem block for a big brass one. I didn't believe it would make any difference to my guitar's tone, but it really does. It restores a noticeable amount of low end, which sounds like exactly what you're after.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
I never had probs thrashing it up with JB although I pretty much always use my TS9 for a boost with passives IMO the JB is very versitile.

The Duncan Distrotion is great as well, I have one lying around and eBay find that I have not loaded into anything yet it is a custom shop hand wound made by Maricela Juarez (google her) I have not tried it yeat but I have a JB wound by Juarez loaded into my Dean Split Tail and while it sounds like a JB it sounds like a JB on steroids it is quite a bit hotter and screams like a mothertrucker with pinch harmonics there is a noticeable different between it and my production line JBs.

I do have EMG loaded guitars as well 18V mod is a must and pair that with the EMG +10db boost and your guitar will breath fire!

I have to add a shout out to the Wilde L500XL it is hot but very transparent with litle alteration to the sound of your strings which allows your amp and effects to do their job as intended designed by the legend Bill Lawrence and still being made by his family.
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Last edited by Evilnine at Feb 1, 2017,
T00DEEPBLUE & Evilnine It also depends on amp/speakers and pots. A lot of people run a 250k pot with a JB, and yes you'll get better sound for thrash with that. I have two JB loaded guitars running a 1M volume pot, and one running a 500k. I definitely notice quite a bit of difference between the two with the 1M's having more treble.

I also mainly use amps that are voiced with a lot of high-mids (6505+ in example), and v30's (which obviously also have a lot of high-mids).

And EMGs have pretty decent cleans in my book. Not the 81 so much, but the 85 and especially the 60.
Xander_X I use 500k pots on all my Jackson DK2M and FGN LPC. both of which have JB's and I've never felt the need to change the pots to 250K's. I use a heavily modded 6505+, a Green Rhino MkIV and a 10 band EQ for my tone.

I own an Epi Prophecy Futura with 81/85's and even when 18v modded, they just don't sound that great clean in my opinion. Even after massively improving the clean channel on my 6505+ by extensively modding the tone stack for much more headroom and warmth. The 85's just get too muddy too quickly compared to the Jazz and 59's that I use in my other guitars, both for cleans and leads. The EMG 60's cleans are solid though. I might dump the 81 altogether, buy a 60, put the 85 in the bridge and the 60 where the 85 was.

Or even better than that, get the 57/66 set.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
The cleans out of the 57/66 are noticeably better than the 81/60. Whenever I have used EMGs I tend to prefer the sound of the 85 in the bridge and 60 in the neck.
I generally thought that 250k pots were ideal for single coils, never heard of using them with humbuckers. That's interesting. What are the perks/points of doing this? Or is it just a preference thing?
Gibson LP traditional and DC standard, PRS S2 Custom 24, MIA Standard Strat, Charvel So Cal Pro Mod, Schecter Banshee 7
EVH 5153, Mesa DR Tremoverb combo 2-2x12's
Line 6 M13
T00DEEPBLUE I've known people who have gone the 85b/60n before and enjoyed the results. I agree that that passives have better cleans though, I just believe you can get some decent ones out of actives too (ala Kirk Hammett / EMG 60). I also rarely play clean, so I don't have much of a leg to stand on.

I'm sure you get a tone you're happy playing thrash with the JB, like I said, Dave Mustaine used it for years. However, I don't feel, at least with the way I have my tone set, that it quite does the job for me. I've also had this conversation many times and had many agree with you, and many with me. I believe it's a mixture of the end result of the individuals gear, and the individuals ears. After all, we don't all hear in the same frequencies.
bobafettacheese I do not know anyone personally that has done this, but I've seen it come up many times in different forum conversations. I guess putting a 250k volume pot in with a JB takes a lot of the treble out. Makes sense, as like I stated above, I definitely notice less treble with my 500k JB, vs the 1M JBs I have.
Quote by Xander_X
T00DEEPBLUE & Evilnine It also depends on amp/speakers and pots. A lot of people run a 250k pot with a JB, and yes you'll get better sound for thrash with that. I have two JB loaded guitars running a 1M volume pot, and one running a 500k. I definitely notice quite a bit of difference between the two with the 1M's having more treble.

I also mainly use amps that are voiced with a lot of high-mids (6505+ in example), and v30's (which obviously also have a lot of high-mids).

And EMGs have pretty decent cleans in my book. Not the 81 so much, but the 85 and especially the 60.

My JB loaded guitars have 500k pots. I'm playing them through a 120W 6505+ w/4X12 Eminence Swamp Thang/Texas Heat 2 of each as well as a Mesa Roadster Dual Rec 100W combo with 2X12 V30's

I love both of my amps the 6505+ is a beast but the cleans pale in comparison to the Roadster the Mesa has crystal clear Fenderish cleans and is overall more versitile then the Peavey. The 6505+ is a beast for sure when I run my DKMGT with EMG 81/81 18Vmod with +10db boost it will melt your face but the same can be said for the Mesa, I didn't choose to load it with dual 81s I bought it that way used but it sounds good so I just left it that way.

Running the Mesa through the 4X12 Eminence loaded cab is on the verge of being dangerous.

I highly recommend the 18V mod paired with the 10db boost although if I use much more than 5db of the boost it starts becoming difficult to control.

Cleans on the EMG's are not the worst I do notice a difference between my 9V and 18V EMG guitars with the 18V having less than stellar cleans, I still get better cleans from my passives but I can make do with the EMG's for songs that call for a clean break or to amongst the gain portions.
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Passives are more touch sensitive than actives...you can always get a preamp to switch between passive and active. Any passive will sound sort of dull compared to an active pickup.
Dave @ Seymour Duncan
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
I've never had any problems getting a killer thrash tone with a JB. And I much prefer using them over something like an 81 any day of the week.

Different stokes I guess.

I like the JB because it has a lot of output while still being good for other styles. It even has decent cleans. You don't get that with an 81 or a Distortion. And I say this as someone who really likes the Distortion.

Yeah. I probably prefer the distortion for 80s rock/metal rhythm playing, but it's not as useful for everything else. I do think one of the flaws with the JB is that it's kind of a jack of all trades, master of none- for almost any given tone I can think of a pickup I'd prefer to use, given the free choice- but it does do a fairly reasonable job of most styles of music, which is pretty useful as well.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Dave_Mc I'll tell you what, with a 1M pot and super low action, I get KILLER hair-metal tone from it. Sure, I got a bit better when I had a guitar with an RTM in it, but you're talking about a $150+ SD Custom Shop pup vs a JB you can buy used for around $50 or less sometimes.

I agree, however, that in general it is an excellent jack of all trades, master of none pup.
I am still getting used to it, it's a different sound, the pickups are JB in the bridge and than STK-1 singlecoils in middle and neck. as far as pickups go i remember i really liked SH-5 Custom and than EMG-81, 85. Also i only played mahogany bodys guitars before, so maybe alder body could be a factor of different sound. This will be my study guitar, i will learn to play mostly leads on this guitar. i didn't even have a chance to try it through the tube amp, because my tube amp died a awhile ago and it needs service. So i only played this guitar through Roland Cube 40 XL. Through Cube, for now, i am noticing more hi end trebles and less output compared to my EMG equipped guitar. This Jackson also have a Sustainiac built in.
The pick of destiny...
Sabbath_84
Its probably not the alder body that's causing what you're experiencing. I think it's a combination of the pickups and the Floyd Rose bridge. I'm serious, replacing the block of the Floyd with a large brass one makes a significant difference and its cheap to do. While you're at it, replace the Licensed Floyd with an Original German-made one. The Licensed ones you find the mid-00's MIJ Jackson Pros aren't bad (for a Licensed unit), but it doesn't touch the Original German one for tuning stability, feel and build quality in general.

The JB is still considered a pretty dang hot pickup. I think it's just that the EMG's (which have an extreme amount of output) is all you've ever known. So anything other than extreme is going to feel strange.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I don't have any issues with tuning stability after using it with that jackson for now.. compared to korean floyd rose 1000 that i have on my LTD Deluxe it's pretty similar, maybe the 1000 is a little better in terms of a feel, but no tuning issues with jackson for now. it stays in tune pretty well. yes, it looks like i was getting used to emgs through years of playing, and now this passives feels a bit different.
The pick of destiny...
Last edited by Sabbath_84 at Feb 2, 2017,
Quote by Xander_X
Dave_Mc I'll tell you what, with a 1M pot and super low action, I get KILLER hair-metal tone from it. Sure, I got a bit better when I had a guitar with an RTM in it, but you're talking about a $150+ SD Custom Shop pup vs a JB you can buy used for around $50 or less sometimes.

I agree, however, that in general it is an excellent jack of all trades, master of none pup.

yeah. that being said, if i had to pick a style which the jb actually was pretty good at, hair metal would likely be one of them.
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE

The JB is still considered a pretty dang hot pickup. I think it's just that the EMG's (which have an extreme amount of output) is all you've ever known. So anything other than extreme is going to feel strange.

yeah
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Ok, i think i am ok with JB now.. after about a week of playing my ears adjusted to it. i just raise the gain for about 10 to 15 % and i am ok.
The pick of destiny...
So, now that you're using passive pups you will have to pay more attention to your right hand. how hard you pick, the type of pick, the angle of attack, that is what passive pickups being more dynamic means. active pickups in my experience kinda brickwall everything. the good news is it will make you a better player.
never really understood that thing about passive pickups being more dynamic. when i play through my EMG 707 with low gain, you can definitely tell how crappy a guitar player i am.
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!