Can anyone tell me what the hell is going on with the timings in this song?

It's 'Lord Have Mercy On Me' by Outrageous Cherry.

It seems to change multiple times, unless it's all just accented notes on odd beats. But the A and B chords seem to come in on upbeats and last for bars of different lengths.

I don't know. I'm lost in a different way everytime I listen to this. Maybe it's my feeble guitarist's brain.
I can play songs in a few odd time signatures but this is really throwing me.

Any help would be grreeeeeeeeat...

Thanks!
Last edited by ljpfahey at Jan 31, 2017,
ljpfahey
It's actually all straight 4/4. But yeah, it does have a bit of a weird feel to it when you first listen to it. There's a drum accent on the 'and' of 4 in some bars for example.
Maybe try counting from 0:36, that chord is right on beat 1, and go from there.
That's nothing. Bulgarian music is typically written in 9/16, 11/16, 13/16, 15/16, 17/16, 19/16, 21/16, etc.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Shoot, King Crimson has a song that is written in (something like) 4/4 for the percussionists, 3/4 for the bass & stick, and 6/4 for the guitarists. The effect is that the song positively throbs when two or all 3 subdivisions of the band synch up.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
ljpfahey, it's mostly 4/4 with syncopation. However, 0:48 -
4/4          2/4   4/4
 B  |   | A |    | Em

Slightly different than what dannyalcatraz mentioned, which is polymeter. The only non-hemiola example that comes to mind right now is "Stockholm" going into "Blood" (OSI, off their Blood album). The polymeter starts at 40:34 of the following - for reference, "Stockholm" starts at 35:30 and "Blood" at 42:13

Rhythm can be a fun game if you don't overuse it
Quote by NeoMvsEu
ljpfahey, it's mostly 4/4 with syncopation. However, 0:48 -
4/4          2/4   4/4
B | | A | | Em

oops, yeah, missed that. And the same thing at 1:48.
Thanks, all!
Yeah I thought it might be just the syncopation that is throwing me off. Need to look at it from a different angle.
Infamous example of 4/4 that is impossible to get right the first time would be the Pyramid Song by radiohead due to it's 3+3+4+3+3 subdivision.
/\ Yeah, definitely 3+3+4+3+3 in terms of 16th notes. I read it's called Pyramid Song because if you have the shapes with those numbers of sides you can make a pyramid.
But counting in quarter notes is really hard, it's much easier to do it in eighths for me, therefore I quite like the idea of thinking of it as being in 8/8.
If you put the rhythmic groupings in terms of eighths then it can be [3+2+3] x2 = Neo's 5+8+3 which for some strange reason she doesn't want to split any further

Quote by NeoMvsEu
The only non-hemiola example that comes to mind right now is "Stockholm" going into "Blood" (OSI, off their Blood album). The polymeter starts at 40:34 of the following - for reference, "Stockholm" starts at 35:30 and "Blood" at 42:13

So in that one you have a 5/4 (or 5/8 x2) pattern over a 4/4 drum beat, but when you get to Blood it's all in 5/4.
One example I thought of was the vocal part in this from 4:59

The high and low voice are straightforward but what is the faster vocal line doing? I was thinking of this all as being in 6/8 with the middle line repeating a certain number of times to get back into alignment, but given your example and Danny's above, I guess it should be thought of as being in a different time signature?
And just coincidentally, it happens to have the same vocalist as in your example!
you'll hear this kinda beat a lot in stoner music. it's designed to feel dragged out more than it is. this stuff is like if led zeppelin didn't shower and had to borrow their mom's mini-van to go to gigs

but yeah it's 4/4 most of the time
Quote by Kevätuhri
Hail isn't too edgy for posts, posts are not edgy enough for Hail.

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
Man, do I feel silly now that I can play it and it's so simple haha
For some reason I had it in my head that the low E note landed on the first beat of the bar.

cheers
NeoMvsEu 5+8+3? What are you listening for then? I'm looking at the rythmic chart you linked to but I don't see that making much sense.
5: first two chords. The next chord has a drum accent via bass drum and syncopated (and swung) snare. Since the main rhythm is the swung dotted quarter notes, I prefer adding the odd two-beat chord to the previous grouping for more stability than if the oddball were to stand alone (technically divisible into 3+2, but less stable divided)

8: the only other subdivision I'd possibly make is 3+5. Reasoning: starting a new chord on an off-beat that's not specifically accented. I prefer tacking that to the previous phrase.
However, there's no strong drum cue that signals strong separation between all the A chords. This is why I grouped it into 8 instead of 3+3+2 or 3+5.

3: to coincide with the drum fill and its own chord, as well as the end of the phrase
Since we're on the topic of crazy timed songs that are in 4/4, Meshuggah and the Djent movement are usually pretty crazy (especially in that regard). The polymeters are insane and often at least the snare doing 4/4.

Good luck finding the pulse of this (let alone the rhythm).

Can't believe this is in 4/4 (the kick is in odd time though)
"I don't know what you're trying to suggest. There's no shame in taking what you need to hold your position!"

Super Buu (DBZ) on assimilation (it could also apply to blues guitar and guitar soloing in general).