I don't Know What Instrument I Should play And How I should Go About Learning

Page 1 of 2
I've been in my school's concert band playing baritone Euphonium since 6th grade. Also around since then I've been midi programing note by note. I was never traditionally taught piano or keyboard.

Now, I've realized that I want to make music for a living; specifically Neo-Classical Metal. I'm in highschoool and the only instrument I can play is Euphonium. I hate the instrument and I hate concert band.

So now I've been learning guitar and I've been having a manic crisis of whether I should learn guitar or keyboard.

On one hand, I'm really into the idea of playing guitar and it feels natural to me.
On the other, I've been hyper focused on sound design forever and am equally competent at playing with both hands.

The main problem is that I'm in high school and I only have like 6 years to learn the instruments. So I can only pick one.

Which one should I do?
You should get a Mac and start making dank beats.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
There shall be a stop to this madness. The battle is not over. My tasty licks aren't going anywhere.

Quote by The_Blode
^ I've just realised if you say Simple Plan's 2011 effort "Get Your Heart On!" really fast in a Southern American accent, it sounds gross. . .like sexual gross!

Quote by Necroheadbanger
Hello.
I'm looking for professional bongo-ists and triangle-ists to make a Progressive Technical Brutal Death Metal band
(will be called AxOxJxLxAxIxVxXxUxWxZxQxUxRxWxGxJxSxAxLxKxMxNxHxUxGxAxAxWxVxCxBxZxVx)
(Don't even ask what it means)

https://soundcloud.com/95dank

why not learn both??

I found that learning both at the same time made it easier to learn them but maybe that's justme.
They can't stop us Let 'em try For heavy metal We will die!
romandawesome

First of all...

You being able to make a living playing neoclassical metal is 30 years too old to work in 2017. JK im sure you can market yourself to the point where people would pay to learn from you in 10 years or maybe buy your t-shirt by the thousands once you gain public acclaim through targeted advertising.

Secondly, piano is stupidly fucking easy to learn. Yet, one of the most difficult instruments to master. It's incredibly easy to get a sound from it, you just press a key. And ABCDEFG is all white keys repeating. The black keys being the accidentals. But eventually you get into the realm of polyphonic structures that will require all of your muscle memory trained fingers to work in tandem.

Guitar has less instant gratification, is harder to keep in tune, less applicability to MacBook music than learning a keyboard and is kinda the staple of the genre you want to be a part of. Also intially learning to fret and pluck simultaneously is the learning curve. Then you'll get into the many ways of getting notes from the guitar. (Mad technique)

With both instruments you get diminishing returns, you learn 75% of what you want to know in 5 years. Yet, it will take the rest of your life to learn that 25%.

I would start with neoclassical metal euphonium shred. That would make you a niche entity in the genre.

Also, you have the motherfucking rest of your life to learn these instruments. You will never stop learning, music is finite but your frail human meatflesh will still be unable to grasp and master techniques by the time the arthritis starts taking bits of your ability away.

Learn everything, you're in highschool. Go to school for a STEM field or business or marketing (haha) if you actually want to make a living after school. Then take that money and reinvest it in the ability to make high quality audio and video recordings so that you can sell yourself

Music
Is
An
Industry

Follow your dreams though, if you want to starve as a homeless musician with great chops and no job you go right ahead.

That got dark

TLDR: no one fucking listens to neoclassical metal it's all about the "work at a law firm by day, djent by night"
Legato and fluidity in your playing is where it's at

DJENT!!
ಠ_ಠ
the skin flute's a pretty fun instrument to play
Personally, I started off with the piano then moved on to Guitar Hero then onto an actual guitar. In doing so, I think I learned that starting with the piano helps to get your fingers accustomed to playing different instruments, but is not essential.

I don't see why high school at all has to be correlated to your dream of making music. If you really mean it and are insterested in both, then do both. If you're limited to one instrument at school, then practice the other at home.
There's nothing left here to be saved
Just barreling dogs and barking trains
Another year lost to the blue line
You asked the off topic forum of a guitar website this....hmm.

Neoclassical metal is a dead art form that I'm pretty sure very few people actually like. The majority of people who do say they like it pretend to, much like people raving about loving classical.

Honestly, find a job you like to make money. Do music on the side, if you're good enough, then you can quit to play music full time, but not before.
Come back if you want to
And remember who you are
‘Cause there's nothing here for you my dear
And everything must pass
I've never even heard of it but it sounds like something I would not enjoy lmao.

There's truth to what talli says though. I remember my opinion on what I wanted to do changed pretty drastically by the time I was out of high school. Basically, I realized the difference between making music and playing it. The former is just as challenging as learning a new instrument all together. It's a talent in its own right. I was too young and eager to understand that at the time.

Everything takes practice though so yea you best get some mons while you work on your own thing on the side until you get it down.
There's nothing left here to be saved
Just barreling dogs and barking trains
Another year lost to the blue line
Yngwie Malmsteen is probably the most prominent figure in neoclassical metal. The theory is basically taking and in many cases, mimicking, classical music, but put in a metal context. For example
Come back if you want to
And remember who you are
‘Cause there's nothing here for you my dear
And everything must pass
Neoclassical metal is a dead genre, and the highschool boys who do still listen to it will just listen to the old "classics" rather than anything new.

It's almost upsetting that people taint perfectly good classical music with shitty metal instruments in the first place.
fiddle
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
and then play on the roof
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Find out what teachers are available for each. Take a lesson from each. Then consider how well you think you would be able to learn from that teacher. There's other factors like what they charge, how far you have to travel, and when they're available. Pick the most suitable teacher, and learn from them. You should learn both instruments before you decide to try to acquire virtuosity in either. So start with the one where the best teacher/mentor is available to you.
Ukulele. It's the only real neo-classical metal instrument anyway.
Quote by JD Close
Piano dick had some good parts, but should have said "As the business man slowly gets boned", would have accented the whole dick feeling of the album
Quote by Dregen
the skin flute's a pretty fun instrument to play

And easy just use a steady up and down motion increasing speed until crescendo

+1 on missing the boat for neoclassical metal

Yngwie is a badass but is not and has not ever been a major draw canvasing the globe on worldwide tours even back in the 80's
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

FrogstarWorldA

Ahh, so I get to be the one in the train without a dick in my ass. Thanks man
Legato and fluidity in your playing is where it's at

DJENT!!
ಠ_ಠ
so 8 years ago i bought a guitar for my birthday and i didn't play it much, i did a couple online lessons but yeah. then i asked my dad if i could return it for a keyboard.

dawsons would not accept the return and i was stuck with the fuckin guitar.

8 years later i play guitar every day, sometimes upto 5 hours a day, but always more than 1 hour. i love the guitar it's a big passion of mine. it doesn't matter what you play man, just stick to something. maybe it'll be what aligns with your music taste the most, but honestly i feel like the guitar is the most versatile (the electric guitar) in terms of the different genres you can play, and keyboards are always just gonna be keys on a board yknow? just my take on it. nothing quite like the guitar.
Click here to hear my BOB DYLAN (Blowing in the Wind) out right now May 2k17
Quote by laid-to-waste
so 8 years ago i bought a guitar for my birthday and i didn't play it much, i did a couple online lessons but yeah. then i asked my dad if i could return it for a keyboard.

dawsons would not accept the return and i was stuck with the fuckin guitar.

8 years later i play guitar every day, sometimes upto 5 hours a day, but always more than 1 hour. i love the guitar it's a big passion of mine. it doesn't matter what you play man, just stick to something. maybe it'll be what aligns with your music taste the most, but honestly i feel like the guitar is the most versatile (the electric guitar) in terms of the different genres you can play, and keyboards are always just gonna be keys on a board yknow? just my take on it. nothing quite like the guitar.

Play more than six notes
Quote by romandawesome

Now, I've realized that I want to make music for a living; specifically Neo-Classical Metal.

lel
Quote by i_lovemetallica
Honestly, find a job you like to make money. Do music on the side, if you're good enough, then you can quit to play music full time, but not before.

Yup. Not to be negative, just realistic.
I think that if you've already got experience programming midi instruments, you should go with guitar. It's much more feasible to replicate piano in midi than it is guitar as far as I've heard (as in I don't think I've ever heard midi guitar in modern music). The best option would be to do both, however.

Realistically, you have more than six years to learn these instruments. You've got your whole life. Maybe you won't become famous for playing neoclassical metal (and lets face it, unless you get really lucky, you probably won't get famous playing any kind of metal), but you should play for you, not for the money. And who knows, maybe when you're in your 40s and you can sweep pick like Yngwie and bang keys like Beethoven you'll get recognized for your efforts. Or maybe it'll happen when you're twenty. Or maybe, despite your best efforts, it won't happen at all. Maybe you'll decide when you're 25 that you hate music and don't ever want anything to do with it again (please don't decide this, music is fucking awesome).

Some other folks have said it already, but focus on setting up a life for yourself where you can make money independently of your music. Go to college for something that interests you (music production maybe?) and can set you up with a career. Or look for a fulltime job with a company that promotes internally.

I don't mean to discourage you from your dreams, and I really hope that I haven't. But I do think that you should think about what would happen if these dreams don't come true and set yourself up for success either way.

TLDR - Learn both, and in the meanwhile get a job you can make a living with instead of focusing only on musical success, but don't let that stop you from writing and releasing music in your spare time.

Good luck and godspeed.
Not everyone has a piano or keyboard lying around. I found that when I have no guitar, I can practice with a plank of wood as my neck and draw strings and frets with marker.
Quote by abewestereng
I think that if you've already got experience programming midi instruments, you should go with guitar. It's much more feasible to replicate piano in midi than it is guitar as far as I've heard (as in I don't think I've ever heard midi guitar in modern music). The best option would be to do both, however.

People who use midi instruments, especially piano and guitar, in actual recordings as a true replacement for ssid instrument are scum.

Realistically, you have more than six years to learn these instruments. You've got your whole life. Maybe you won't become famous for playing neoclassical metal (and lets face it, unless you get really lucky, you probably won't get famous playing any kind of metal), but you should play for you, not for the money. And who knows, maybe when you're in your 40s and you can sweep pick like Yngwie and bang keys like Beethoven you'll get recognized for your efforts. Or maybe it'll happen when you're twenty. Or maybe, despite your best efforts, it won't happen at all. Maybe you'll decide when you're 25 that you hate music and don't ever want anything to do with it again (please don't decide this, music is fucking awesome).

Beethoven sucked and if we're talking great pianists you'd best mention, Chopin, Lizst and Horowitz instead.

Some other folks have said it already, but focus on setting up a life for yourself where you can make money independently of your music. Go to college for something that interests you (music production maybe?) and can set you up with a career. Or look for a fulltime job with a company that promotes internally.

Just gonna say this, try outside the music industry if you are at all inclined, it's one of the most cutthroat and unfair in many respects. I definitely don't want to deter but everyone I know that's done sound engineering (for example) in the hope of finding a job has found the market saturated and occasionally hostile.

I don't mean to discourage you from your dreams, and I really hope that I haven't. But I do think that you should think about what would happen if these dreams don't come true and set yourself up for success either way.

TLDR - Learn both, and in the meanwhile get a job you can make a living with instead of focusing only on musical success, but don't let that stop you from writing and releasing music in your spare time.

Good luck and godspeed.

In the end 100% this stuff. If learning both is too expensive or not viable for whatever reason, then go with which one you feel most comfortable with.
However I will add that keys are a lot easier to learn basic theory and musical literacy on than frets are.

Quote by stonevalley
Not everyone has a piano or keyboard lying around. I found that when I have no guitar, I can practice with a plank of wood as my neck and draw strings and frets with marker.

This is either pure genius or total lunacy
Quote by Pastafarian96
Play more than six notes

Bruh we both know that dont matter, can u bend notes or use harmonics, picking variations n shit on a piano without sounding like a fag?
Quote by laid-to-waste
but honestly i feel like the guitar is the most versatile (the electric guitar) in terms of the different genres you can play, and keyboards are always just gonna be keys on a board yknow? just my take on it. nothing quite like the guitar.

My keyboard has a range that extends beyond both the upper and lower limits of human hearing. I've got about a million note polyphony. I got vibrato as wide as the Brooklyn Bridge and notes that sustain longer than the Nile. I have more saws than a lumberjack, more squares than an accountant convention, and more filters than Brita. I can play the deepest bass lines, the iciest pads, and the thickest leads. I can create the sounds of organs, violins, glocks, clavs, and trumpets. I can create lasers, wind, sirens, alarms, machine guns, robots, computers, and bombs.

All that and I never really need a new amp.
Quote by laid-to-waste
Bruh we both know that dont matter, can u bend notes or use harmonics, picking variations n shit on a piano without sounding like a fag?

I can do all except the first with all the effort of floating a feather
A bend is possible, but very, very difficult admittedly

But yeah theogonia777 nailed it right there
Speaking of which, what is your keyboard Theo?
Quote by theogonia777
My keyboard has a range that extends beyond both the upper and lower limits of human hearing. I've got about a million note polyphony. I got vibrato as wide as the Brooklyn Bridge and notes that sustain longer than the Nile. I have more saws than a lumberjack, more squares than an accountant convention, and more filters than Brita. I can play the deepest bass lines, the iciest pads, and the thickest leads. I can create the sounds of organs, violins, glocks, clavs, and trumpets. I can create lasers, wind, sirens, alarms, machine guns, robots, computers, and bombs.

All that and I never really need a new amp.

Keyboards are cool dont get me wrong you can achiwve a lot from them but to be honeet I favour the grand piano or a very cool roland type keyboard which both cost a lot. In either case i feel like many of the things accomplished from the electric guitar are a more authentic simulation of vibrato and sliding and volume because its six strings and you manipulate them. The besy pianists of all time do not use vibrato because they plwy tue grand piano, the besy guitar8st of all time use everything - think jimi hendrix and his unparalleller sense of compassion
I can bend notes (up and down and much more fartherer than possible on guitar) and I've got legitimate portamento. Unless you are playing with an actual slide, I can "slide" way better than you can.
Last edited by theogonia777 at Feb 2, 2017,
Quote by theogonia777
I can bend notes (up and down and much more fartherer than possible on guitar) and I've got legitimate portamento. Unless you are playing with an actual slide, I can "slide" way better than you can.

sometimes when i have discussions i forgot how it started then i find myself on a side i don't even agree with myself. let me rephrase my points because i didn't say them right.

i prefer the guitar to the keyboard because for the same amount of money i can get a more satisfactory instrument. moreover it is something i can carry around and play whilst stood up. also i'm not actually very good at piano so i don't understand its full capabilities. what i love about the guitar is that i am connected to all the different shapes on it, and find sliding on more than one string really easy and i know all the different frameworks. also i really believe the dynamics on the guitar in terms of pitch-modulation are more natural due to the fact that the strings are actually changing frequency as a direct result of tightening the strings with your fingers, which makes for a more expressive sound. also the music i've always liked from the age of 13 til now has always been due to an outstanding guitarist (john mayer , jimi hendrix, stevie ray vaughan) who have moved me more than any pianist ever has, this is a strictly personal preference. i really really like the dynamics that can be achieved with a guitar.

also i should add i think pianos and keyboards are ofcourse an essential instrument too.
p.s. i do own a slide x
Last edited by laid-to-waste at Feb 2, 2017,
Pastafarian96 I'll be totally honest, I picked Beethoven because it was the first name that came to mind. I don't really know a whole lot of classical artists. And you're absolutely right, it definitely is better to play the instruments for real, I just meant that if you have to choose between faking guitar and faking piano, at least fake piano sounds more like the real thing than fake guitar does.

Quote by Pastafarian96

This is either pure genius or total lunacy

Why not both? haha!
Quote by abewestereng
Pastafarian96 I'll be totally honest, I picked Beethoven because it was the first name that came to mind. I don't really know a whole lot of classical artists. And you're absolutely right, it definitely is better to play the instruments for real, I just meant that if you have to choose between faking guitar and faking piano, at least fake piano sounds more like the real thing than fake guitar does.

Why not both? haha!

I'm a professional piano tuner and technician, those midi piano voices sound like not a single piano, upright, grand, square, player, barrel or indeed any kind of acoustic piano, of any value whatsoever, maybe some really bad Chinese shitheap, but then, value and Chinese just barely register as a concept in the world of instruments a lot of the time
Page 1 of 2