Can someone help me set up reaper to play my guitar through my PC speakers, trying to get this project done in one day... or week and get this over with :/
Last edited by ballajoe010 at Feb 1, 2017,
Let's start simple.... what are you working with? It doesn't matter what kind of guitar, but....

1. Are you using a mic on your amp, or are you recording direct and using amp modelling?
2. What interface are you using?
3. Do you have existing backing tracks (ie. drums, bass, etc), or are you *just* recording guitar?

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
axemanchris

1 I'm not sure what an amp model is, is that an impulse program like lepou?
2 So far I have Reaper and FL studio. I preferably want to use Reaper, I like the interface more.
3 just recording the guitar

Thank you
An amp model is what you use when you plug your guitar directly into the computer. Instead of coming from an amp, the sound is generated inside the computer. LePou is a good example. Also, Amplitube, etc.

Are you doing that, or are you miking an amp?

By interface, I mean a device in which you plug your connections into the computer. Something like this:

http://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/steinberg-ur22

CT

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

axemanchris I only have Reaper atm, this morning I was comparing the different VSTs someone suggested; lepou, 456 and nick crow 8505. But I think I need an amp loader first

I don't have a device QQ, I plugged it straight into the pc using an adapter
I do have an amp though and an extra cable if that can be used as a sound device to do something to the cable frequencies so the pc can recognize it, but I always thought it was okay to plug into the PC and use a virtual one like ASIO4all line-in feature
You'd have to tinker with ASIO4ALL drivers which AFAIK is the only way that you can get disparate input/output to work (inputs and outputs thru different interfaces).

If you buy a recording interface usually Reaper wants to lock into the inputs and outputs of that, so you will have to use studio monitors or connect some other kind of external speakers to the output of the interface.
Your soundcard must have a line in and a mic in jack, right? Probably a 1/8" headphone mini jack like you would have on an iphone. You *could* just run your guitar into that and record. It won't sound very good, but it will work.

Keep in mind that most sound cards are designed to have good sounding outputs, but the inputs are designed primarily for voice chat applications, and not really recording.

What is your budget for this? And what are your timelines for how quickly it needs to be done? And what quality do you *need* vs what quality do you *want?*

I ran a songwriting contest to offer free recording time at my studio a while back, for instance. Obviously, if they were able to submit a professional recording, they wouldn't need free recording time. Haha. People recorded stuff using voice-record apps on their phones, or grabbed a quickie video of them playing with their iPad and sent me a YouTube link. Some people used one of those hand-held recorders like a Zoom H2 to do it. You can get very usable quality with stuff you either already have or can probably borrow fairly easily.

If you want a more professional recording, maybe consider booking an hour or two at a local project studio. It'll cost you maybe $25-40/hr around there, but you'll have someone with decent gear who knows how to use it.

I generally only advise learning to record yourself if you really want to learn how to record. Otherwise you find yourself going down a rabbit hole and you have no idea where it goes or how deep, or at what cost.

CT

If you want to use amp sims you will need an interface for two reason 1) a hi-z input and 2) drivers

- the latency on built-in soundcards is atrocious and it will be unuseable basically. The sound quality of plugging your guitar into a non hi-z input will be equally atrocious.

Honestly, you'll get better quality simply recording your amp with your phone's microphone than using your pc 's soundcard.
If you raise your budget to something like a PC link cable (1/4 inch to USB generic interface cable) you might be able to squeeze something ok for about $15 if you know how to tweak asio4all. For a few $ more, about $40 you can get decent audio interface that might do a lot better.
diabolical The budget is $0.

I might check this stuff out another time but that seem like after a long long time.
Last edited by ballajoe010 at Feb 3, 2017,