Hi everyone, was thinking of getting a cheap gio ibanez GRGR121 and swap the pick up with some dimarzio d activators or something close to it to play metal, is that a good idea or i should just buy mid range guitar? sound something like kill switch engage, or goes well with laney iron heart amp
It's going to be more cost-effective to just get a better guitar in the first place.

If you want dimarzio pickups, it isn't like you're never going to get the opportunity ever again after you buy the better guitar.

Not to mention that the amp makes a far greater difference to tone than the pickups do.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
throwing $200 in pickups on a $150 guitar is like putting lipstick on a pig.

go for a midrange guitar. the ibanez gio models are just short of junk.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by trashedlostfdup
throwing $200 in pickups on a $150 guitar is like putting lipstick on a pig.

go for a midrange guitar. the ibanez gio models are just short of junk.

Can we please keep the comments about my love life out of this sub-forum?

I would go for the mid range guitar.
But I also have to wonder why it seems so many people emphasize the sound or tone of a guitar when choosing one.
When I go to check out guitars, I hardly ever plug them in.
For me its all about feel (and quality craftsmanship) way more than how it sounds.

Several years ago, I was looking for a Strat.
I tried Strats that ran a gamut, but mostly high end Strats (Custom Shop Specials, various sig Strats, etc.) most around the $1000 or more price.
I ended up getting a 1996 MIM Strat for $350, case included, put Fender Custom Shop Texas Specials in them and its a great guitar.
It depends more on how it feels quality wise and how it plays. Some people buy high end and still swap pickups.

If you can play it in person do it. Ignoring sound and focusing on playability will score you the best guitar for the money. Pickups can always be swapped, or you may like the pickups in it.
I agree with the above. Neck Profile and fret work are much more important and expensive/impossible to change. Pickups are a quick job.

Also if you are looking to sell don't expect to get your money back for the pickups - it's better to save the stock ones and reinstall them before selling.

You can get a used mid-range guitar for slightly more than a new GIO and you may like the pickups in them. Look for a used Jackson DKMG. You can find them for $300 or so and depending on the year come with active EMG 81/85.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
metalmingee Used Jackson's are awesome.
I actually got lucky with a new js22-7. It was the only sub 500 guitar in store at the time that felt nice. After getting it (and I wasn't looking for a 7 ) the one they replaced it with on the wall felt terrible. Which is why it's best to try before you buy, you may get lucky and find a great bargain.
Quote by CodeMonk
Can we please keep the comments about my love life out of this sub-forum?

I would go for the mid range guitar.
But I also have to wonder why it seems so many people emphasize the sound or tone of a guitar when choosing one.
When I go to check out guitars, I hardly ever plug them in.
For me its all about feel (and quality craftsmanship) way more than how it sounds.

Several years ago, I was looking for a Strat.
I tried Strats that ran a gamut, but mostly high end Strats (Custom Shop Specials, various sig Strats, etc.) most around the $1000 or more price.
I ended up getting a 1996 MIM Strat for $350, case included, put Fender Custom Shop Texas Specials in them and its a great guitar.

agree. funny thing I bought a 95 MIM that had been modded with an LSR Roller nut, sperzel locking tuners and Graphtec saddles (not sure what pickups are in it but not stock) as a back up for my 89 Strat Plus Deluxe. after a month the MIM ended up as my #1 strat. it just feels better and plays great (the 89 is a really nice guitar)

not always about more money but you often can only go so cheap before it's not worth it in the long run. a mid range guitar with a little tlc can often work just as well as a high end guitar. cheapies on the other hand can still be made to be rather playable but may let you down in the long run.
Count me as another who values feel and quality of manufacture over initial tone. If the guitar feels nice and the bones are good, I can always upgrade pickups & wiring. Which brings me back to the original post...

If it were a question of upgrading a guitar you own/tried out and loved the ergonomics and found to be otherwise well-made, upgrading might be a rational option. Otherwise, consider some of the more expensive guitars an investment in saving you hassles, headaches, and even actual money. Just remember to be as critical of it- or moreso- as you were the cheapie.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
right so end of the day, a mid range high end a better buck for money, thanks guys, cause i always wonder if i buy a cheap guitar replace the pick up better options then just going mid range.