I just watched the "Jaco" Pastorius documentary, available on Netflix. Made by Rob Trujillo. Has anyone seen it? What do you think? Seemed like a 2 hour "behind the music" to me. Not much focus on style and technique, but it was aimed at exposing Jaco to the masses. Certainly a tragic story. Just like a million other musicians; genius and madness, hand in hand. Thoughts?
I am a big fan of music documentaries, but I don't think that it really had any sort of depth. It was like a Cliff notes version of his story. Compared to something like Standing in the Shadows of Motown, or the documentary done on Muscle Shoals, it was pretty anemic.
I am also a big fan of music docs... The Wrecking Crew was a good one. I also saw "Beware of Mr. Baker" a few days ago. Highly entertaining! Ive also read tons of musicians bios. Latest was by Alex Skolnick of Testament. You guys recommend any other docs or bios? Any instrument or genre.
The Wrecking Crew was great if for nothing else, it had the analysis of Joe Osborn's bass work for the 5th Dimensions Age of Aquarius / Let the Sunshine in.

The last music documentary I watched was PBS' series Soundbreaking: Stories from the Cutting Edge of Recorded Music. Great insight into the history of recorded music and studio recording in general. I really enjoyed it.
I will have to check those out. Watched "Lemmy" yesterday. Released in 2000, now on Netflix. Tons of fun. A true embodyment of Rock n roll. I truly thought he was going to live to 180 years. It wasnt in the doc, but In the last few years he even switched from Jack and coke to vodka and orange juice because of his diabetes. What a health nut....
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metal:_A_Headbanger's_Journey, Its over 10 years old but I really enjoyed this one, and I'm not a huge metal fan. The interview with Dio where he disses on Gene Simmons is funny as hell.
anarkee

He made second documentary called Global Metal (Not as good IMO) and IMDB is telling me he has a t.v. show called Metal Evolution. :/
Ive seen both docs (big metal fan....) but not Metal Evolution. Good stuff! Great interviews. Those black metal guys always crack me up.... they take themselves so damned seriously! Of course ive seen "Anvil; the story of Anvil". That was seriously entertaining.
I Am Thor on Netflix. About an 80s metal dude. Very similar to "Anvil: The Story of Anvil" in a tragicomedy way.