I just visited my local guitar store, wanting to buy a cheap pedal to experiment with.
Note that I have only been playing guitar for one year now and I've been using the effects on my Fender Champ 100 amp, but I never really played with a pedal or anything like that. It feels like the amp comes short on the sounds that I want (although it does have a british 60s)

Anyway, that being said, the guy in the store told me that most pedals cost a decent amount of money. He only sold Boss pedals in his store which were around 80-200 euros, if not more.

He also mentioned the Boss GT-1 multi effect pedal, which came with a price of 200 euros and an extra 30 euros for the adapter.
We went on the Boss website together and listened to some settings that you could download to have a sound of a band you'd like.

So he told me to think about it and let him know if I wanted one. I don't really know anything about pedals, stand alone this multi effect thing.

While browsing the web, I noticed that the Boss GT-1 received some bad feedback, people commenting things like "It sounds like shit" etc. Also I heard that for example the Zoom G3x was better.

Musicstore (a big store in Germany which ship worldwide I think) is currently offering the Boss ME-25 for a discounted price, although this product is almost 10 years old orso?

So I'm not sure and curious if someone has experience with these multipedals or provide me with more know-how? Is it worth it? I don't have a big budget to buy seperate pedals, and I'm a 'beginner guitarist'.

Thank you in advance!
Last edited by Kletser at Feb 1, 2017,
MFX pedals can be set to sound quite nice. The lower-end ones can be hard to dial in, and as with anything you get what you pay for. I have had many different MFX units, and I currently use one now, even after having had many high-end amps and a pedalboard made of discrete pedals.

If you are strictly looking for effects (meaning you are happy with the sound from your amp), then the Boss GT series or ME series isn't a bad buy, though frankly I would rather get something from Line 6.

If you want amp tones as well, I would definitely go with either a software option if you have a good computer or a tablet, or a different MFX unit.

With that being said, what is it you are looking for specifically, and what is your budget specifically?
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Thanks for the feedback!

I kind of want to be able to produce some different sounds, talking Keith Richards, Mick Ronson, even Jimi Hendrix, or even Gary Rossington... (and many others, but that kind of genre really)
If that is an answer to what you asked :p, although the MFX pedal will probably suit me since my taste of music varies all from the 50s-70s mainly.

My budget is really around 150-300 euros ^^
Sounds like you are more looking for an amp sim than effects. I have a Zoom G3X and I think it is great for what it is. I use it at home as an amp sim running into a mixing board then through a PA speaker. I also use it on my pedal board for its effects when I am out with the band. You can change effects out on the fly without buying pedals. Great for when you are experimenting with different sounds.
Quote by Jeffh40
Sounds like you are more looking for an amp sim than effects. I have a Zoom G3X and I think it is great for what it is. I use it at home as an amp sim running into a mixing board then through a PA speaker. I also use it on my pedal board for its effects when I am out with the band. You can change effects out on the fly without buying pedals. Great for when you are experimenting with different sounds.

Do you think the Zoom G3X is better than the Boss GT-1?
What exactly is an amp sim ?
An amp sim means that the MFX unit simulates the sound of an amplifier.

MFX units usually do two things:

Model amplifiers/speakers, and model effects (both stomp boxes and some more complex effects).

In regards to my earlier question, I was asking what you want, the different amp sounds, or just effects to put on top of your existing amp.

If you are looking for recommendations for the best sound possible on a low budget IN GENERAL, then it may be better to get a MFX and use the amp modelling and effects from that, as the Champions aren't particularly inspiring.

I ask again: do you have a tablet or a PC? That offers the option of using a software MFX, which in this price range may have the best sound quality.

I want to make sure you understand all this stuff and the terminology before I make more recommendations.
Thanks a lot man, I appreciate you explaining the terminology. Yea I suppose I want an Amp Simulation then, the way you just explained it to me. And to be honest I never heard a different amp besides the champion 100.

I do have an iPad and a PC as well, yes.

If there's any other information you need, I'll be more than happy to respond !
So, if you have an iPad, and are looking for some quality tones, I would recommend looking into two apps: BIAS Amp, and BIAS FX. these apps are about $10 a piece.

You will need an interface as well, such as an iRig HD or similar, and a method for hearing the outcoming iPad signal, such as a.) a good pair of headphones or b.) a amplifier and speaker.

If you want to play out loud, you will need an amp and a speaker, and preferably a neutral one that doesn't color the iPad signal (so a guitar amp might not be ideal).

If this sounds like something you might bw interested in, I can make some recommendations. A MFX pedal can be used similarly to how you would use your apps, but I and many others think that the best bang for you buck on a low budget (if you have a tablet or PC already) are modelling apps.
This sounds like a lot of work/spending money

Isn't some software included with buying these MFX pedals? Although i'm willing to pay for the BIAS app.
The iRig HD is just a cable you need to connect your ipad right?

+ I imagine buying a speaker and a non-guitar amp will be very expensive.

Are these things all required to play with these MFX Pedals?
you basically have two solid options. into the iPad and out of the iPad or headphones OR mfx through the amp. the iPad would be good quiet. the mfx through the amp for loud.

I have owned several mfx units, mostly line 6 pods. I have sold them all off in favor of discrete pedals. if i were to guess i have about 30-40 pedals and none were cheap. the only boss pedal i own is a hm-2,most of what I have are in the 'boutique' breed.

mfx is nice to find your soind, but IMO discrete pedals trump the quality of the tone of the mfx.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by Kletser
This sounds like a lot of work/spending money

Isn't some software included with buying these MFX pedals? Although i'm willing to pay for the BIAS app.
The iRig HD is just a cable you need to connect your ipad right?

+ I imagine buying a speaker and a non-guitar amp will be very expensive.

Well the difference with MFX is that they have their own hardware running the software, and some have editing software available for the computer. BIAS uses the iPad to run the sound modelling and the editing software.

It can be confusing to setup initially, but the iPad option isn't necessarily expensive. I got my setup for under $300, including the apps, iRig, and a powered monitor (a speaker and amp combined, designed for neutral response).

Don't confuse the BIAS apps with something you use for MFX pedals. They are an alternative, not an addition.

As far as what you HAVE to buy to use a MFX pedal, you don't need anything other than an amp or headphones to hear it. You can use your Champion, but it may not sound the best. Your Champion is actually a simplified modeling AMP already, so you'd be stacking modeling on more modeling.

It can definitely be confusing if you aren't familiar with all the options available to you. I know when I started messing with gear at first I was dazzled by all the possibilities. Now I have a good idea of what works for what situations, and what just doesn't sound good.
Quote by Kletser
Do you think the Zoom G3X is better than the Boss GT-1?

I've never tried the Boss so I can't give a fair comparison.

Quote by Kletser

All you really need to play a MFX pedal is a speaker or headphones.

Quote by trashedlostfdup

mfx is nice to find your soind, but IMO discrete pedals trump the quality of the tone of the mfx.

Agreed for the most part, but I love having the Zoom on my pedal board. In my gigging setup all I use it in the effects loop and just run the flanger, a lead boost and the pedal for a volume pedal. But if I need anything else for the music of the night, I can just dial it up.
So would this MFX pedal be a good purchase? Should I go for the Zoom G3x or for the Boss GT-1?
Quote by trashedlostfdup

Yeah but then you need a big pedal board and you spend thousands of dollars and you also have a ton of cables and power supply considerations which makes troubleshooting potentially annoying. With a multi-fx unit, you need one power supply and two cables, and then you can throw it in your regular bag with other stuff which is nice when you don't have an extra hand to worry about a bulky pedal board.

I mean if you have the money, time, patience, and hands for it individuals pedals will probably sound better, but not everyone does, especially younger people that don't have money or people that gig a lot and travel and can't be bothered with a complex pedal board setup. Like I can fit my multi-fx easy if I have to go on a plane or something.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by theogonia777

I mean if you have the money, time, patience, and hands for it individuals pedals will probably sound better, but not everyone does, especially younger people that don't have money or people that gig a lot and travel and can't be bothered with a complex pedal board setup. Like I can fit my multi-fx easy if I have to go on a plane or something.

Which MFX Pedal do you have?
Quote by Kletser
So would this MFX pedal be a good purchase? Should I go for the Zoom G3x or for the Boss GT-1?

If it is strictly down to those two and no other, then the Zoom. I'd consider looking at a Line 6 POD though, as another option.
I have an ME-80. The distortion sounds are not amazing but are decent enough if I don't want to carry around anything more than a 10 watt combo. It doesn't have a proper cabinet simulator so I can't plug directly into a board of powered speakers though unless I'm just practicing. But it's honestly fine through direct if I'm running anything other than an electric guitar through it (acoustic instrument with a pickup, pedal steel, keyboard, mic, turntables, etc).

It's like what other people were saying about a multi-fx for use for modeling amps or for simulating pedals when you are happy with your amp sound. It's definitely in the latter but the amp sims/distortion are adequate for playing small shows, practice, rehearsal, etc as long as you play it through a guitar amp rather than direct in or into a full range system. And that still really applies to electric guitars. Like I said, it's fine for every else as long as you have the right cables since it only has a mono 1/4" in, stereo 1/4" outs, and a mini out for headphones but nothing for XLR or RCA and no stereo input.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Another thing that I will add is that I really only prefer the ME pedals to other multi-fx because it can run the same way as individual stomp boxes (where you can turn them on and off individually) as opposed to things like the GT-1 where it is all patched based (the ME-80 does have a patch mode but I never use it). Also the individual effect sections have their own controls and no menus which is nice.
Quote by theogonia777
Another thing that I will add is that I really only prefer the ME pedals to other multi-fx because it can run the same way as individual stomp boxes (where you can turn them on and off individually) as opposed to things like the GT-1 where it is all patched based (the ME-80 does have a patch mode but I never use it). Also the individual effect sections have their own controls and no menus which is nice.

Yea I also prefer the ME over the GT just for the simplicity, Just setting up patches let alone trying to remember what they are and where I put them tends to be problematic in my case, I also use a Roland GR-55, So yea I've been down that road, In any case there was mention of an interface here, Kid says he has an ipad and everyone jumps on the i rig, i this and i that wagon and totally overlook the other dogs in this fight, Of which there's at least a dozen or more, and just about all of those come with some type of included recording software, amp sims, and a host of other plugins, And companies like Avid which also goes by the name M Box, Pro Tools and a few others have been in this fight a hell of a lot longer than Apple has, And to be honest they're so simple even an old anti techie such as myself can figure it out, and are by no means expensive, I think I paid about $200 USD for mine, Although I did play around with the included plugins for a minute, which were cool I just really have no need for amp sims, as I actually have the types of amps they're trying to simulate, Basically its just used for recording and running my PC audio out to my PA system, Yea YouTube can get loud around here, And as it seems were not looking for stereo or have a need for XLR which most decent interfaces have anyway, but at the moment by simply plugging the guitar into the interface, interface to amp and PC to interface we have an almost unlimited tone engine at our finger tips, if you don't like the included plugins just go online and find one you do like, Its not like there's not a million of them, Some free some not so free, Set the amp to clean, and granted a PA or powered monitor would be a bit better but not necessary, and let the sims do they're thing, Down side is they're not gig friendly by any means and an expression peddle is a non option, or at least that I know of, Which is why we use peddles in this case. But for home use I say that's the best bang for your buck if your at that experimentation stage of this journey, It the heart is set on a MFX peddle then I'd say just step up to the ME-80 and be done with it,
I have owned a few different brands of MFX pedals and the only one I still have and use almost daily for playing at home or jamming with friends is the Zoom G3X. Great tone. There built like a tank. Very easy to program. Set up to program like a stomp box. Can be used like a stomp box for cutting individual effects on and off and then just for fun gives you a looper to play with. Plus with the software you can go online and down load settings straight to it other people have come with for virtually any tone you can pretty much think of Even comes with recording software so you can connect it directly to computer and record with it. Like other people have stated though you wont start getting perfect tone till you start spending money on pedals. In which case for good pedals will take tons of money and years to collect. I've been playing for longer then I'd like to say but still spending money on pedals