Hey I've just bought a electric guitar kit and i'm just about to paint it. Do you guys know what i will need(for painting) and in what order i should apply it?
wietse_bakker99 Hi and welcome to Forum! You can check refinishing guide on edsguitarlounge.com
Paint stripper
This is to remove paint, you don’t need it when your body and/or neck are already blank. Since guitar finishes are very durable, you have to get the real aggressive stuff (so avoid the environmental friendly paint remover).

Sanding paper in the grids (approx): 100, 240, 600, 1000, 1500 and 2000.
This you can get for cheap at your car parts shop. Maybe for the higher grids, you need to buy from a guitar shop. The higher grids you don’t need that much. But you will need a lot of ~240 sanding paper.

Rubbing compounds/scratch remover
You can get the bulk cans from car parts shops, but I also buy from model building shops. I also use Novus polishing products and Dunlop finish cleaning products.

Cotton rubbing cloth.
I use old white t-shirts. You will need a lot so start collecting!

A sanding block.
A very important tool. You use it for sanding to wrap your sanding paper firmly around. This ensures you’re always sanding evenly. If you would solely sand by hand, you will sand ‘bumps’ into your body. Especially with grids 240 and 600.
I use a piece of a material called Trespa which is extremely durable. I use a piece of about 5x7x0,5 cm.

Masking tape.
Buy the best (read most expensive) you can get, e.g. 3M which is used for cars. A little investment pay off. Buy various widths.

A paint remover knife.
The most underestimated piece of tooling for a luthier. You can buy the at your DIY by the tens.

Sharp knife
Always handy to cut masking tape, remove excessive glue or paint etc. I love Xacto knives.

Cleaning spirit (Naphtha)
A bottle will do. This stuff is amazing, it cleans and shows you how the paint will look after you applied a clear coat. But don’t inhale it.

A good ventilated area (outside)
Best is to paint outside when it’s not raining or too hot. I like the painting frame you can use outside which you can see in the ML-Factory clips. Soon I’m going to build one myself.

A mouth protector
Not only to be used when spraying but also when sanding. Don’t inhale those nasty particles.

Wood filler
For solid color guitars, I use two component wood filler as you would use for repairing wood in your house.
When you want to stain a guitar you will need a filler that absorbs the stain just as the wood the guitar has been made of so you need to buy specific fillers from guitar parts shops.

Spray cans
OK, here it becomes difficult. You have a numerous amount of types of spray paint, e.g.:
  • Poly-urethane
  • Polyester
  • Nitro Cellulose
  • Acryl
  • Alkyd

All have pro’s and con’s. Polyester can only be used by pro’s, but Acryl, Alkyd and Nitro can be bought at your local DIY or car parts store. After using Alkyd, Acryl and Nitro I can only say that Acryl paint is my favorite. It’s easy to handle and it doesn’t matter that much if it gives ‘drips’ since you can easily sand the surface and respray it. And the clear coat keeps it color (doesn’t turn yellow).
For staining woods for bodies and necks you can use wood dye’s. You can either use the water or alcohol solvable versions. You can get them at guitar parts stores as solvable powders or in cans.

For necks you can also buy amber clear coat for that yellow vintage look. The more layers you spray the more yellow your neck becomes.

For giving fret boards that ‘ ebony’ look you can use black leather paint. Just black leather paint at you can buy at shoe repair shops. Don’t use shoe cream, go for the leather paint.
You should've asked this question before you bought the kit. If you knew what was involved then you might've dropped the idea like a hot potato.

Applying a finish is the most taxing and frustrating stage of building a guitar. You need to have the right tools and it takes quite a lot of practice to get it to not look like shit. If you make a mistake at any stage of the finishing process, you have to start over from scratch.

What you need entirely depends on the sort of finish you want. Are you just throwing linseed oil over the entire guitar? Are you doing a matt finish? Are you doing a gloss finish? Are you doing a soild colour or a trans finish? Are you doing finishes that require multiple colours such as a sunburst?
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
I've painted a good handful of guitars and they get a little better everytime. Just be patient and do something else at the same time (eg. do a coat of paint, then go and bake a tray of cookies, spray a coat of paint then alphabetise your video collection...)