Hey guys, I'm kind of a dumb ass here and need some help. I was screwing around with my Ibanez RG with strap locks and my strap button tore right out of my damn guitar. It didn't strip out the screw went straight up and out the top of the tip of the guitar. I have absolutely no idea what the hell to do. The hole is about a quarter inch thick and its I would say maybe 1 - 1.5 inches deep. I can fit a piece of wood in there but every time I try to cut it to fit the guitar the whole just breaks off into little pieces so I have no idea what the hell to do. Anything can help, thanks guys.
Last edited by ImAnEwok at Feb 1, 2017,
Pics or it didn't happen so we can see what you've got to work with.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
You can use wood filler and then put the screw back in, just make sure to follow the instructions so it sets properly.
'16 Gibson LP Standard T, '95 Fender MIM Strat
Helix Rack, Jetcity JCA50H w/ JCA24s+
Well you could have one of us come over to warm ur mum up!!! And I bet someone here, not me, would warm your dad up too! Then asking should be a non issue.

Seriously though, filler isn't expensive. any hardware store or amazon will have it cheap.
'16 Gibson LP Standard T, '95 Fender MIM Strat
Helix Rack, Jetcity JCA50H w/ JCA24s+
The way that is broken, it it will be difficult to get a strong support for the screw, I certainly wouldn't trust wood filler. I would fill it then relocate the screw to a stronger position. If I was keen to leave the screw where it was, I would inset some kind a plate over the broken part.
Second the relocating the screw hole idea. You already tried the filling the hole with bits of wood trick and thats a tried and true method. The way you describe the hole it must be huge! Wood filler might work but depending on what kind its iffy if it will work or not. If you try wood filler you will probably want to fill the hole and let it set up for a day then re-drill the screw hole with a bit that is just slightly smaller than the width of the screw threads. Idealy the hole you drill will be the size of the screw shaft but not as wide as the threads. One alternative to wood filler is to mix fine sawdust with elmers wood glue until it is a thick paste(more saw dust than glue). That is an oldschool form of wood filler. Avoid "plastic wood" brand woodfiller btw. It is tool difficult to tool.
Quote by Tony Done
The way that is broken, it it will be difficult to get a strong support for the screw, I certainly wouldn't trust wood filler. I would fill it then relocate the screw to a stronger position. If I was keen to leave the screw where it was, I would inset some kind a plate over the broken part.

+1 i wouldn't trust wood filler either.

could you screw it into the back of the top cutaway? i am not sure how comfortable it would be, but its worth a shot.

___

oh, and by the way, what the hell did you do to it? i have never seen that before.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by ImAnEwok

That's really nasty. It's going to be difficult to repair that and for the repair to be strong enough to take a strap button.

Wood filler is not designed to repair a damaged area that is structural. So that's a non-starter.

I think the only method that'll be strong enough to take a screw is filling all the damage with epoxy resin. But epoxy is rather unforgiving to work with though. I think making the guitar look like the damage never occurred is going to be very difficult.

A metal plate to cover over the damage is viable structurally, but it may not look pretty.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Move the button around to the backside of the guitar to get a good bite in the wood and use filler to get rid of that nasty hole.

I had a terribly stripped hole on an old guitar I just filled it in and moved the button 90 degees to the backside of the horn then put it through the hole in the strap opposite from what you were doing (from the front) to keep it from twisting.
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

It Still Remains unknown, how the hell did you do that?
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Wow!

Schallers come with a longer screw too, so maybe you could put one of them in when it's fixed.
trashedlostfdup Honestly I have no idea, I think the wood in the guitar is just soft, I was holding my guitar on my knee on the monitor and it slipped off (I had my strap on) and it just tore straight through like butter
Quote by ImAnEwok
trashedlostfdup Honestly I have no idea, I think the wood in the guitar is just soft, I was holding my guitar on my knee on the monitor and it slipped off (I had my strap on) and it just tore straight through like butter

Be honest you were trying to pull one of these maneuvers 3:10

"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge

Quote by ImAnEwok

Come on, we weren't born yesterday. Tell us what actually happened.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge

Don't feel bad it can happen to the best of us even EVH suffered from this a time or two

But seriously this is what I meant when I said put on the backside of the upper bout!

- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge

Last edited by Evilnine at Feb 2, 2017,
taking a second look at it, I agree that it appears to be MDF.

ImAnEwok

what guitar is it?

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Come on, we weren't born yesterday. Tell us what actually happened.

+1 come on
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
two things i have done first add washer both sides and reconnect or a added jack/strap (plug-in )and washers
After seeing that picture, that is a nasty hole! I wouldnt put the new srew anywhere near that hole. A big piece of that horn could flake off. The new screw should be at least an inch or two away from any part of that damage.
Quote by Vendetta V
That hole doesn't look like it's made out of wood. It more looks like some plasticy foamy thing. Does MDF stand for some substance like that?

If that ever happened to a wood, it'd be far more chippy than the carved out crystally hole.

MDF = Medium Density Fiberboard. Essentially, sawdust held together with a resin glue and wax. Some folks make all or part of speaker cabinets out of MDF, and it's adequate for that assuming that the cabinet won't need to absorb impacts, maintain its integrity around moisture, etc.

It's generally not considered appropriate for guitar bodies.
So this is my solution that a weeks worth of planning has come up with. I found maple 1/4 inch thick strips of wood at my local hardware store, they fit pretty smoothly into the hole and hold really well, I just need to cut them to the size of the hole and wedge them in there with a glue and clamp it over night. Then I'm going to sand down the excess glue and wood and I found a stainer is similar if not perfect to the finish on my guitar, lucky its a satin finish so don't have to worry about that. I'm going to let all of this set for about 1 day maybe 2 and then try re drilling the hole into a more secure location, and reinstalling my strap button.

Do you guys think this will work?
Quote by ImAnEwok

Do you guys think this will work?

Wood that soft might just pull out the repair AND more next time. That's symptomatic of dry rot or spalted wood. Where did that body come from?
Quote by dspellman
Wood that soft might just pull out the repair AND more next time. That's symptomatic of dry rot or spalted wood. Where did that body come from?
Im not sure I understand what you are saying.
Quote by ImAnEwok
Im not sure I understand what you are saying.

Maple is not normally that soft unless it has experienced some kind of rot process. I'd return that body/guitar to Ibanez; that's obviously a manufacturing defect.
Quote by dspellman
Maple is not normally that soft unless it has experienced some kind of rot process. I'd return that body/guitar to Ibanez; that's obviously a manufacturing defect.
This is one of the most poorly mad guitar I have ever bought, I think it'll just be a practice guitar I'll take out the invaders and put them in a new guitar thanks guys for the help.
Quote by ImAnEwok
This is one of the most poorly mad guitar I have ever bought, I think it'll just be a practice guitar I'll take out the invaders and put them in a new guitar thanks guys for the help.

Take it back to where you bought it from. If what you say is true, then the defect is in the guitar, and the store should report it to Ibanez.
I'm not aware of any Ibanez RG with a maple body, could you tell us the exact model number please?
My Gear:
Ibanez Jet King 2
Ibanez RGDIX7 MPB
Ibanez GRG 7221
OLP John Petrucci
Epiphone Les Paul Custom Pro
Squier Stratocaster (modified)
Harley Benton CLD-41S (Acoustic)

Peavey Vypyr 30.

Boss CH-1 Super Chorus
Boss DD-3 Digital Delay
Boss FRV-1 '63 Fender Reverb