I'm looking at getting either a Les Paul Tribute T 2017, or an Epiphone Standard Plustop Pro. The difference is about $250.00.
Last edited by trical at Feb 1, 2017,
stonevalleyHi, I'm sort of new. Definitely new to nice guitars. I have an old shitty Squire guitar and I figured while I have the money to get an upgrade I may as well. I'm open to all suggestions of course. The two guitars I listed were just the ones that caught my attention. I was also looking the Epiphone tribute plus.
Thanks.
Last edited by trical at Feb 1, 2017,
I'd say the epiphone for price value, but I cant be sure as I haven't tried them much. I don't know anything about les pauls, but I think they are great from what I hear. Go to a shop and try out what you like the most, that will help you decide the best one.
Does it have to say Gibson or an Epiphone on the headstock?

If you're able to afford a Gibson Tribute T, why not look at what Japanese-made LP's you can get used from other brands at that sort of price? Look at FGN, Tokai, Greco, Edwards, Orville, Burny etc. In my experience those brands make LP's that blow similarly priced Gibsons out of the water.

Are you willing to buy used?
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
T00DEEPBLUE I don't really care what it says on the guitar, I just know those were pretty good brands. I will definitely check out the ones you mentioned! Thank you. As far as used, I probably would as long as it's not to beat up.
Last edited by trical at Feb 2, 2017,
Quote by trical
T00DEEPBLUE I don't really care what it says on the guitar, I just know those were pretty good brands. I will definitely check out the ones you mentioned! Thank you. As far as used, I probably would as long as it's not to beat up.

In the <$1000 range, Gibsons are very meh in my opinion. You get some good bang for the buck with the top of the range Epiphones though.

You can get some really kickass guitars for $1000 used. Again, go Japanese. You cannot go wrong with any of the aforementioned MIJ brands with that budget.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
T00DEEPBLUE I just looked into some of the ones you mentioned. I see quite a few on Reverb. I will keep looking into some used ones.
Thanks again.
Last edited by trical at Feb 2, 2017,
Well, I ended up getting a Tokai today. I don't take good advice lightly! I am sure I will get a lot of good playing out of it.
I will post up some pictures once I get it for sure.
Thanks again.
Glad to help.

Raise an NGD thread when it arrives and bring lots of pics. Be part of the MIJ LP master race.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
It means New Guitar Day.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
If you are in the US and want a traditional type Les Paul I'd look at Agile from Rondomusic.com. If you want more of a shredder/metal style look at the ESP LTD EC-1000 range.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
Thanks for mentioning those. That ESP looks interesting. What makes it better for metal than say a Gibson, or something else?
The pair of active emg pickups and 24 frets
Stuff like that
Also have a more aggressive look
Last edited by andresferreira_2008 at Feb 4, 2017,
trical

The ESP/LTDs give you Flatter fretboard radius, bigger frets, access to the higher frets, tummy cut, pickups, Floyds, etc. completely different feel.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
Oh, I see. This is really helpful, thank you guys for sharing your knowledge. I'm just starting to play the guitar again from when I was little, and it's like I know nothing now.