Hey

I am totally new here and I hope that this question isn't asked frequently.

I inherited an E-guitar from my father. It's an really beautiful and older guitar and I would like to learn how to play it. First I thought of learning a few songs I like, but I don't know, if it's the right way. Because I not only want to play it, but also I want to understand it. I don't now how to describe that
So where should I start and does it make sense to learn playing notes on the guitar?
Guitar is not my first instrument. I also play Cello, so I don't need to learn how to read them. I know the best way is a teacher, but I don't have enough money.

So if somebody could help me, I would be very thankful

And sorry for my english, it's not my motherlanguage.
If you already read music, I'd say go ahead and keep doing it with guitar. There's really no "learning" how to read tabs, it's literally just the fret number.

Like any other instrument with unisons (all string instruments), the only challenge of reading from the staff is having to work out which position to play in. Seeing as you're probably accustomed to doing this already, it probably won't be a big deal for you.

The only real challenge you'll face is getting used to reading treble clef with tons of ledger lines. Treble clef was definitely not made for guitar.
I think it would be better for a classical musician to learn to read as it is general knowledge for classical. But to be honest, I believe tabs are easiest, since its just the fret no. and string.
Quote by stonevalley
I think it would be better for a classical musician to learn to read as it is general knowledge for classical. But to be honest, I believe tabs are easiest, since its just the fret no. and string.

It's always best to learn to read music; it tells you much more about the piece and how to play it, including timing, etc. You can learn the music without ever hearing the piece performed, and it's pretty universal.

Tab is essentially just fingering assistance for a single instrument.
Last edited by dspellman at Feb 2, 2017,