Hello World,

After advice on the best technique to swap between finger picking and strumming and vice versa. I tend to play with a pick and have seen some players who tuck it into a folded back finger tip to hold it whilst finger picking so it is there in time to strum. I massively struggle with this due to my mini chorizo sausage fingers. It is also hard once bars have been strummed to tuck the pick back again.

Am I missing something? Should I just ditch the pick for these songs (BTW - my strumming without a pick also sucks). Is there another method I could be trying?

'I Could Have Lied' - RHCP is the song I'm trying to master at the moment.

As always I'm sure it is a case of practice, practice and ugh, lost patience

Thanks
Either keep practising your switches or learn to strum with your fingers. Personally I'd recommend to learn how to strum with your fingers. It's a lot easier than it may initially seem and it's a very valuable skill to have
Udjine

take it to the next level with fingerpicks
it is fashion apparel for guitarists
"ba doo doo ba doo doo ba doo daa"
- earth,wind, and fire
Last edited by hecks at Feb 2, 2017,
Thanks for the responses everyone. I have tried thumb picks before but didn't get on with them particularly well. Again, probably a lack of patience on my part.

I will pick up a couple and try again.

I have a little bit of a ((slap and)not much slapping actually) pop style with my finger picking which I do enjoy so learning to strum correctly with my fingers is probably the way forward.

hecks If I can get them in sparkling purple I'm right there......(It puts the lotion on the skin....)
Last edited by hydreliox at Feb 2, 2017,
I'm just revisiting thumbpicks after many years of not using them, to make string damping easier. If you are planning on trying them again, have a look at the National ones. They look pretty average, but they seem to have a different, smoother kind of playing texture than others I've tried, that I really like. You mention finger strumming. I have never been able to get on with a flatpick, so this is what I do, mostly to try and emulate bluegrass style flatpicking.. However, if you play a steel string, finger backstrokes are hard on the nails, and I've never found any fingerpicks that work well for it.
Strumming with fingers is not that hard. I used to only use a pick and when I started fingerstyle it felt odd to strum with just fingers/nails. But now it's second nature. I use the top of my index and middle finger nails when strumming down, and my thumb nail when strumming up.
Quote by hydreliox
Thanks for the responses everyone. I have tried thumb picks before but didn't get on with them particularly well. Again, probably a lack of patience on my part.

I will pick up a couple and try again.

There can be problems with the size of the pick, that makes its usage inconvenient. Maybe you need to adjust it.
I don't understand why everyone is recommending thumb picks etc when realistically it's just better to learn what I'd consider a fundamental and staple technique of just learning to strum with the fingers? Thumb picks are hardly necessary for such a simple issue.
Quote by vayne92
I don't understand why everyone is recommending thumb picks etc when realistically it's just better to learn what I'd consider a fundamental and staple technique of just learning to strum with the fingers? Thumb picks are hardly necessary for such a simple issue.

You are absolutely right, it's just a way of solving the problem, not the best one, I mentioned them because these picks were helpful for at least 2 of my friends with similar problems.
Strumming with fingers isn't really hard.
I don't much enjoy using a thumb pick. I grow out my right hand fingernails a little bit longer than usual and use nickel bronze d'addario strings. When I need to strum I just use my fingernails. Take biotin and get that fingernail strength up son.