I am currently looking for a Multi-fx unit. I have used many stomp boxes in the past and I am just looking for something to handle it all in one spot and allow me to declutter my board and get rid of some pedals. I do not gig and probably never will. I am pretty set on amps so amp sims are not a necessity but if they are that amazing then that could be an added bonus. I know Line 6 makes some great pieces of gear (pedal and processor-wise).

I generally like delays, mods and time based effects in the loop- is this possible with the multi-fx units? I don't want time based effects muddying my sound.

I am not looking to go big and buy a Helix or anything of the sort. Perhaps I will venture that way in the future, just not now.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Side note: I will probably keep a couple pedals just for fun, but cleaning up space is key!
Gibson LP traditional and DC standard, PRS S2 Custom 24, MIA Standard Strat, Schecter Banshee 7
EVH 5153, Orange TV50H 2-2x12's
Line 6 M13
I just picked up a POD HD bean used for Xmas. Tone quality is excellent and I'd certainly recommend the 500x. Been using Line 6 gear for 10 years and their build quality is very good.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
IMO at that price level*, POD HD's are the way to go.

*not getting into snaxfx, kemper, helix, etc.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
What makes the POD HD better (subjective) than the M13?
They seem very similar in functions, other than the POD having amp models, which I may or may not use at all. Not sure how I feel about an amp sim running through an actual tube amp head?
Gibson LP traditional and DC standard, PRS S2 Custom 24, MIA Standard Strat, Schecter Banshee 7
Line 6 M13
Not sure if the m13 has cab models. I doubt it. But for me i prefer running through my valve Jr. Over my PA or powered speakers or headphone for that matter. To me it's a warmer,fuller tone. But to each his own. If you have a good clean channel you'll be surprised at how good some of the amp sims can be. The HD series was a serious upgrade over the XTLive i was using.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Line 6 Pod HD
Quote by bobafettacheese
What makes the POD HD better (subjective) than the M13?
They seem very similar in functions, other than the POD having amp models, which I may or may not use at all. Not sure how I feel about an amp sim running through an actual tube amp head?

switching capabilities. the m13 is more setup like stomp boxes, the pod is more patch oriented to a degree.

also you can turn the amp modeling off ob the HD
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Not sure on the M series, but the HD series have effects loops which let you run 4 cable method, so you can run effects through the front and the loop of your amp.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
^ that is great info to have. That tends to make me want the HD500X more than the M13. The biggest alluring factor to the M13 was the fact that I am currently content with my amps and the amp sims seem like a waste.
I know I won't get kemper, helix or fractal like quality out of it.
I generally just want to downsize my stomp boxes save a few of them that are unique.
Line 6 M13
Looking at the M13, it also has a loop, so you could use it 4CM as well. In my experience, I have found HDs cheaper than I ever find the M13s, so that's a big selling point for me, given the effects quality is similar and you have a built-in expression pedal.
Just curious as far as the 4 cable method is concerned, I would run my guitar into the unit and unit to the amp then used the FX send/return much like a typical pedal board set-up. Would the unit run time based FX through the loop and dist./OD/fuzz out front or would it all just be run through the loop??
I really don't like the sound of time based FX out front so hopefully this can be achieved. If not then I am fine keeping my stomp boxes. Just trying to have a more streamlined, space conscious board.
Line 6 M13
Also, If there are alternatives or better options out there I am open to suggestions.
Line 6 M13
If you like the clean and OD tone from your amp, maybe just use the DSP in your effects loop for reverb, delay, flange, chorus, univbe etc. I think this is what they do best anyways. Pod, Tonelab, Zoom, and others do this really well.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
I started looking for a multi FX a few months ago. I bought a Firehawk FX but ended up returning a few weeks later and upgrading to the HD 500x. I love it. I have it hooked to my peavey classic 30 via 4 cable method. I love the versatility. I can use the natural sound of my amp but also switch a modeled tone too if I want. I keep it hooked to my amp but if I want to record something real quick. I can use the XLR outs to my DAW and just add a Poweramp sim and cab sim and it sounds good. I can also get the DI signal from the spdif out at the same time. I also leave my reamp plugged into the aux input so if I want to reamp something that I've recorded I only have to change the input setting to aux and it mutes my guitar and plays the DI back through the POD.

I really like the sounds on the HD500x but it takes a while to learn how to dial them in. The preset sounds kinda suck TBH. I like the fact that you can run duel amps to make a really thick tone.

IMO if you don't mind tinkering with settings the pod is a great piece of equipment for the money. The Firehawk sounded better out of the box but it had its own issues (Bluetooth connectivity, noise if turning the tuner on when the guitar is still ringing a note out, on board editor was awful to use, not being able to change all of the effects blocks, one eq, etc) and it doesn't seem that line 6 is gonna do anything more to improve it now that the helix is out.
Quote by bobafettacheese
Just curious as far as the 4 cable method is concerned, I would run my guitar into the unit and unit to the amp then used the FX send/return much like a typical pedal board set-up. Would the unit run time based FX through the loop and dist./OD/fuzz out front or would it all just be run through the loop??
I really don't like the sound of time based FX out front so hopefully this can be achieved. If not then I am fine keeping my stomp boxes. Just trying to have a more streamlined, space conscious board.

https://www.google.com/search?q=4cm&client=ms-android-verizon&prmd=ismvn&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjxgqDElfLRAhXDQSYKHTElAcIQ_AUIBygB&biw=360&bih=560#tbm=isch&q=4+cable+method&imgrc=43mRBdPzWgL6jM:

There is a diagram. You can run your effects in whatever spot you want them with the POD for sure, as you can choose where in the chain to put the PODs loop.
Thanks for all the info thus far. Would it be better to go after a different POD HD (500, 400, 300)? Being as that I like the sounds of my amp and don't really play on using amp sims for anything distortion wise. They might sound amazing, but I have not had the experience to know.

I like the ability to run the 4 cable method on the 500x and IIRC you are able to run more effects together on the 500x than on the 500. Just trying to cover my bases as this will end up replacing a lot of stomp boxes. Hopefully reducing my pedal GAS.
Line 6 M13
The 300 has no loop, don't think the 400 does either.

Really the small difference in price makes the 500X the clear choice
Seriously go with the 500x. It will do everything you want and then some. As far as GAS this thing will keep you busy for a long time.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Line 6 Pod HD
In a live environment and only for stomp box usage, m13 everytime. Super simple to use, tough as anything (mine has been thoroughly battered). 4 cable method works, and each "Batch" having dedicated knobs for editing make on the fly changes very, very simple.

Home/Studio? HD500x.
Quote by ZanasCross
I'm now so drunk that even if my mom had given me a blow job at aeg 2, i'd be like I'm a pmp, butches.!

If this even madkes sense... if yhou sig this, Iw ll kill you.
This will be solely for home use. I do not gig and probably never will.

Just worried if the HD500X is overkill. I don't plan on using the amp sims, unless they are phenomenal (skeptical on that). I do like the use of the expression/wah pedal built into the HD500x.

Right now the M13 seems like it does what I want it to do, but if the HD500X is truly that much better then I don't mind taking the jump.
Line 6 M13
Honestly I'm biased towards amp modelling. When I got the XTLive it made my valve Jr sound so much better. The soldano model was pretty much my go to setting. Some of the others were OK some weren't. I wasn't iimpressed with the ac30 for example, but now with the HD the ac30 is outstanding. I've got a valve Jr that sounds like an ac30. I'm really happy about that. Also being able to blend 2 amps at the same time opens up a lot of possibilities. Unless I can some how swing the Helix I'm going with the 500x
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Line 6 Pod HD
I ended up going with the HD500x, if it doesn't pan out then I will look into the GT series, it was honestly between those two, I have never been a fan of Boss effects though which I think is why I leaned toward the Line 6.
Line 6 M13
Let us know how it turns out for you!
For around the house and jamming with friends I use a Zoom G3X. Can be used as stomp box to cut on and off individual effects. Super easy to program on unit or with software. Has a looper and isn't stupid expensive with great tone especially for the price. Hell has metal casing which is great because mine has taken all kinds of abuse and still going strong.
If all you want are stomp boxes m13 is gonna have the distortions line 6 is known for.... But the tc g system has it beat in virtually every other stomp, same with the pod HD but it's fun to play with the editor live and hear the patch differences, amp models, dual amps, cab Sims and all of that. It's also an interface... Then you have the helix and axe fx which do that as well but better. My advice... Do what I did... Watch YouTube, figure out what you want, what you need, what you can afford and what might be worth saving for.

I own the HD 500x, the helix wasn't out yet. I love it and the amount of amps / cabs / effects that I could trade it for wouldn't be worth the swap. However it's not perfect. I play for hobby and I've had mine for 2 years. I'm pretty tech savvy but it's easy to use and tons of patches.