So, I have a broken distortion pedal, and I wanna know If I can fix it. It's a DOD Grunge FX69B. I used it yesterday, but when I put it on the ground I got a bunch of feedback. It worked after that. When I got home later that day, the guitar input's nut and washer had come off and the input was almost all the way in the pedal. I fished it out and put the nut and washer back on, as this had happened before. But when I plugged into my amp, I heard nothing. I turned the volume on the pedal all the way up, and all I got was a quiet static. I can't get a new distortion pedal, for reasons being both lack of cash and a sentimental connection with that pedal. If anyone knows how to help, answers are much appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Guitar strings are $8.50 a pack and that's just too much for me.
It sounds like the guitar input jack on the pedal (that is what you mean, right?) has a loose/bad/non-connected connection. Easy fix, just solder the connections back on properly. And use some lock-tite on the washer, or even just some sort of adhesive.
Quote by ampoole126
So, I have a broken distortion pedal, and I wanna know If I can fix it. It's a DOD Grunge FX69B. I used it yesterday, but when I put it on the ground I got a bunch of feedback. It worked after that. When I got home later that day, the guitar input's nut and washer had come off and the input was almost all the way in the pedal. I fished it out and put the nut and washer back on, as this had happened before. But when I plugged into my amp, I heard nothing. I turned the volume on the pedal all the way up, and all I got was a quiet static. I can't get a new distortion pedal, for reasons being both lack of cash and a sentimental connection with that pedal. If anyone knows how to help, answers are much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

When you put the nut back on the input jack, you may have inadvertently twisted the jack and broken a few wires or solder joints which caused the jack to become disconnected from the rest of the circuit.
You will need to open it up and check for any broken wires, bad or broken solder joints.
If you aren't familiar with using a soldering iron, find a friend who is. A six pack of beer can sometimes go a long way.
Quote by CodeMonk
A six pack of beer can sometimes go a long way.
I'm only 16. Also, when I crack open the back plate, there's a circuit board blocking the way to the broken wires. How do I move that safely?
Quote by ampoole126
I'm only 16. Also, when I crack open the back plate, there's a circuit board blocking the way to the broken wires. How do I move that safely?

Being 16 is no excuse, well, makes it a little harder to buy beer I guess, just gotta find the right liquor store Hell, I found one when I was 13 (got me kicked out of the Boy Scouts actually. Being drunk at the meetings, which were held in a church was frowned upon).
If there are any screws securing it to the enclosure, remove those (make sure you keep track of them, they tend to disappear), then carefully and slowly lift the board out.
If you do have a friend or family member that is experienced with electronics, get their help.
Then look at the wires that go from the board to the jacks.

Good clear pictures would also help us here to guide you.
Last edited by CodeMonk at Feb 2, 2017,
Quote by CodeMonk
Being 16 is no excuse, well, makes it a little harder to buy beer I guess, just gotta find the right liquor store Hell, I found one when I was 13 (got me kicked out of the Boy Scouts actually. Being drunk at the meetings, which were held in a church was frowned upon).
If there are any screws securing it to the enclosure, remove those (make sure you keep track of them, they tend to disappear), then carefully and slowly lift the board out.
If you do have a friend or family member that is experienced with electronics, get their help.
Then look at the wires that go from the board to the jacks.

Good clear pictures would also help us here to guide you.

Rob when you were 13 the store owners were to busy fighting off dinosaurs to worry about proper proofing (laws were much laxer then and the drinking age was 18)

OP board is usually held in place by a couple of screws so taking it out should be that hard.
Quote by monwobobbo
Rob when you were 13 the store owners were to busy fighting off dinosaurs to worry about proper proofing (laws were much laxer then and the drinking age was 18)

OP board is usually held in place by a couple of screws so taking it out should be that hard.

Yeah, yeah, yeah.
Actually, we just had to pay double the price because we were underage.
But a 6 pack was like $3 back then.
Quote by CodeMonk
Yeah, yeah, yeah.
Actually, we just had to pay double the price because we were underage.
But a 6 pack was like $3 back then.

$3.00 overpriced. I remember buying this really cheap beer (Topper I believe) for $0.99 a six pack when I was underage and we wanted beer. it was terrible beer in hindsight but at 12 or 13 what did we know. neighbors older brother would get it for us.

ULTIMATE GUITAR DOES NOT ADVOCATE UNDERAGE DRINKING (Code and I were naughty )

ok back to broken Grunge pedals.
Quote by monwobobbo
$3.00 overpriced. I remember buying this really cheap beer (Topper I believe) for $0.99 a six pack when I was underage and we wanted beer. it was terrible beer in hindsight but at 12 or 13 what did we know. neighbors older brother would get it for us.
This thread got off subject really quick.
Anywhore, I'll try to get the circuit board out, but I don't have a cell phone or anything to really get pictured with. I'll try my best though.
And if I tried to bribe the dude at my local liquor store, I wouldn't have time to fix the pedal because my ass would be in jail before I could count to ten.
Quote by ampoole126
This thread got off subject really quick.
Anywhore, I'll try to get the circuit board out, but I don't have a cell phone or anything to really get pictured with. I'll try my best though.
And if I tried to bribe the dude at my local liquor store, I wouldn't have time to fix the pedal because my ass would be in jail before I could count to ten.

Code monk and I are both in our 50s so our youth was a totally different time when it comes to that. things were much laxer and not considered a big deal.

take your time and let us know how things go with the pedal.
Quote by ampoole126
Also, when I crack open the back plate, there's a circuit board blocking the way to the broken wires. How do I move that safely?

When you look at that circuit board, before you go deeper, wiggle the suspect input jack and look at the area where it is likely soldered to that board. Its the underside so not much to look at, but, see if when you wiggle the jack if you can see a broken solder joint. It will look like all the others but it will move slightly if it is broken. Those jacks are delicate and if the nut and washer came off it could have flexed and popped the jack off the board. If nothing seems to move then look at the other side of the board and be careful taking it out. The other jacks, nuts, washers, knobs are probably all attached to that board.
I dropped a pedal like that and the input jack cracked. I had to solder a new jack in to fix it which i mounted externally because the jacks they use are too delicate and hard to find. Also the buzzing when you touch the pedal to the concrete floor gives a clue.
Last edited by geo-rage at Feb 3, 2017,
Quote by geo-rage
Also the buzzing when you touch the pedal to the concrete floor gives a clue.
It was tile.
Quote by ampoole126
It was tile.
oops i shouldnt have said that anyway. I was thinking some current might be getting on the ground through the case. Its probably normal but who knows.

Coincidence, i just fixed a pedal that cut out and back in again randomly. I took the bottom off to check for a broken solder joint and didnt see one, but, there was actually 3 there. I wiggled the input jacks with the board still attached and couldnt see it at all. Once the board was out i was able to wiggle the jacks enough to see the cracks where the jacks were soldered in. That fixed it. Im suspecting your pedal has a similar problem with an easy fix like that. Hopefully. Any progress?
geo-rage Not yet. I have one friend with a soldering iron, and he's the one that gave me the pedal. If he finds out it's broken, he's gut me like a fish.