Page 1 of 2
Do you support these protests that have had happened? The womens march, anti-trump protests, BLM, etc. I think they're a waste of time and won't do anything to help their cause. What do you think?
I think that regardless of how much you hate Trump (for example), standing outside the White House holding a sign saying "I hate Trump" isn't going to do jack shit.

All it's going to do is "raise awareness". Not entirely sure why you need to "raise awareness" that you don't like Trump when half of the people in the country already agree with you, and the other half don't care.

Not that I disagree with the concept of anti-Trumping, women's rights or racial equality, I just don't think holding a piece of cardboard above your head is actually going to do anything.
Last edited by Random3 at Feb 2, 2017,
I mean it's sort of hypocritical of me to say since I'm doing jack shit rn but the best thing I could think of coming out of it would be that it gets people in the same area together to talk about what they can do to actually try to make a tangible difference

It beats just giving up until the next election season
When is the last time a political protest actually resolved something and/or actually did something positive for the community? I agree, pointless waste of time and energy. All they do is spark up the social media and major news headlines, especially when some idiot get's hurt or hurt's somebody else in the process. Just a bunch of sheep following the herd.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
There shall be a stop to this madness. The battle is not over. My tasty licks aren't going anywhere.

Quote by The_Blode
^ I've just realised if you say Simple Plan's 2011 effort "Get Your Heart On!" really fast in a Southern American accent, it sounds gross. . .like sexual gross!

Quote by Necroheadbanger
Hello.
I'm looking for professional bongo-ists and triangle-ists to make a Progressive Technical Brutal Death Metal band
(will be called AxOxJxLxAxIxVxXxUxWxZxQxUxRxWxGxJxSxAxLxKxMxNxHxUxGxAxAxWxVxCxBxZxVx)
(Don't even ask what it means)

https://soundcloud.com/95dank

& what would "help the cause"? i've set up a polling booth in my garage and every morning i vote for hillary!

as "useless" as it is, i respect it a hell of a lot more than doing nothing or "working within the system". i'd rather people get out there and fight for their ideals, make themselves ungovernable etc than sit quietly and let injustice perpetuate. remember liberals that quote mlk a riot is the language of the unheard

personally im more involved & into organizations that feed the homeless, support battered women etc but im still proud of the people that go out there and make fascists afraid to be fascists & even -gasp- destroy property.
Peaceful protest is pointless and there's always someone who resorts to violence/trouble making. A lot of protests in america seem to involve inexplicably blocking off roads and getting in people's way which does a lot more harm than good.

If you really want to protest something, arm yourself to the teeth and destroy anyone in your path.
I have nothing important to say
I respect protesters far more than I do those who do nothing other than argue on the internet.

they are at least trying to put action behind their words and beliefs, even if the efficacy of protests is questionable in most countries.
O.K.

“There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want.”
~ Bill Watterson

O__o
I agree with them. Especially the ones where they punch Nazis.

Haven't been to any yet but I will be going to the scientists one in April.
cat
I respect people that believe in what they say and their right to say it.

I dont respect hive mindsets and trendsters.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
my favorite headline of it was something like "women descend on Washington to protest....something"
Check out my band Disturbed
"Raising awareness" is often the first step in getting things changed.

You may get 1 million people involved in a protest, and most will do nothing more.
But among those 1 million maybe 0.1% may have the drive and motivation to actually work and bust their asses to change things.
Not a bad start.
Broadly speaking I consider protests to be non-directional expressions of disapproval.

States can't be reasoned with. At least, not anymore. They have the power to do what they want, when they want and to suppress the public and spin the story. They can claim State of Exception any time they please, and can break their own laws for the sake of it. Their primary motivation is their own perpetuation. People who make attempts to disrupt social order in a significant way are told that they are doing so illegally, and must follow a due political process. This political process gets almost nothing done.

So if Trump is such a big threat to America, why not just kill him?
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
Last edited by Banjocal at Feb 2, 2017,
my company just provided everyone time off for an organized protest against the immigration ban but I just sat here talking about video specs

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
is it ok to punch trump if it's ok to punch nazis
WHAT A
HORRIBLE
NIGHT TO
HAVE A
CURSE.
I agree, murder all of america.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by Banjocal
So if Trump is such a big threat to America, why not just kill him?

If I am being totally blunt here I wouldn't be surprised if someone tries at some point. Whether they succeed I can't say.

The moronic thing is it would be incredibly short sighted. Who do they think becomes president if Trump is assassinated? A guy called Mike Pence. A guy who Trump CHOSE to be his VP. Not to mention that it would probably start some kind of civil war...
That's why you don't just kill the big guy, you dismantle the whole thing
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Quote by Xiaoxi
my company just provided everyone time off for an organized protest against the immigration ban but I just sat here talking about video specs

dork alert

Quote by Pastafarian96
I an evety characyer in this story
Quote by JackSaints
A lot of protests in america seem to involve inexplicably blocking off roads and getting in people's way which does a lot more harm than good.

Or protest in a fucking library. That's gotta be the dumbest fucking place I've ever heard of to stage a protest. This is library.
Quote by M00NAGEDAYDREAM
dork alert
It wasn't even specs on the videos themselves, but rather, the metadata of those videos.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Protests are designed to be disruptive in a way that bothers the state (or power that be) enough to consider their point and give to it, or raise awareness, or show the state, show the population, show other powers that the issue is important and the protesters have very strong opinions about it (paving the way for a possible change)

Protests work. I mean, how did the Arab Spring come about? How did the South Korean president's impeachment come about?

How the protest comes about can be debated, as to what exactly it is supposed to disrupt. Doing property damage only disrupts the owner of said property, which doesn't have much impact on the issue at hand but is unjust towards the owner, thus doing property damage is not desirable for protests. Some other things do disrupt other things that have more impact, are not that harmful, and are acceptable. Stuff like a business closing to protest creating some economic harm, or every person going on strike, which again stops the economy, is very disruptive and forces the government to do something.
The point is that there are indeed things you can do at a protest (or consequences of said protest) that are "ok" and others that aren't that "ok", depending on what they disrupt, how they come about, how moral the action is, etc.
I chuckle a little when people say "protests are pointless, they don't do anything!!!" when just in the past century, protests got us these things:

- The end of segregation
- The ability to vote
- India's independence from Britain

Quote by Arthur Curry
it's official, vintage x metal is the saving grace of this board and/or the antichrist

e-married to
theguitarist
minterman22
tateandlyle
& alaskan_ninja

Quote by vintage x metal
I chuckle a little when people say "protests are pointless, they don't do anything!!!" when just in the past century, protests got us these things:

- The end of segregation
- The ability to vote
- India's independence from Britain

I think the difference is that a lot of the protests of the past had a goal--a specific thing they wanted. Conversely, these protests happening now are vague and nebulous in their goals. Protesting for the end of the Vietnam war, for example, had a specific political goal of ending the war, but protesting for "women's rights" or "against 'islamophobia'" does not. Also, the things they were protesting were actually possible. Legislation and policies were put in place as a result. Protesting Trump is for what exactly? To remove him from office? Doesn't work like that. To show he's a turd? Yeah, he is. Protests won't change the situation.
Check out my band Disturbed
Quote by StewieSwan
I think the difference is that a lot of the protests of the past had a goal--a specific thing they wanted. Conversely, these protests happening now are vague and nebulous in their goals. Protesting for the end of the Vietnam war, for example, had a specific political goal of ending the war, but protesting for "women's rights" or "against 'islamophobia'" does not. Also, the things they were protesting were actually possible. Legislation and policies were put in place as a result. Protesting Trump is for what exactly? To remove him from office? Doesn't work like that. To show he's a turd? Yeah, he is. Protests won't change the situation.

and that's an actual assessment, which is totally fine

however, "omg protests don't do anything" is a little different
(though we can argue that it's just someone raising awareness by publicly protesting protests lol)
Quote by Arthur Curry
it's official, vintage x metal is the saving grace of this board and/or the antichrist

e-married to
theguitarist
minterman22
tateandlyle
& alaskan_ninja

There was recently a protest against Trump in my university city (in the UK)

A large group of people stood in the corner of the town square and held up their placards. For each other. It was against Trump. Outside of one or two reporters, there was no direction, no real "viewer". The public that weren't involved in the protest either avoided the street entirely, or laughed as they walked by. It was as though an atmosphere of collective moral outrage was enough to engender something. Their back patting over witty, repeatedly chanted slogans seemed to corroborate this.

Half way through, the Labour supporter that was speaking to the crowd was interrupted by some communists, who were selling newspapers and shouting about capitalism. Against said Labour person, who had a wearable mic and speaker. They started arguing. The communists didn't give up, but did shout obnoxiously from one corner of the crowd. And sold newspapers about destroying capitalism and stuff.

it made me feel sad
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Last edited by Banjocal at Feb 2, 2017,
There was also a protest at my humble tiny city uni lol.

I went to spectate and it was actually very civil. The way it should be. No anarchist fuckwits taking advantage of the situation to smash shit and assault people.

The most extreme thing that happened was someone made a Trump effigy (a good one too!) and they burned it, very similar to how we did with Maggie Thatcher. I heard that some people were upset by this because they interpreted as 'violence' and 'hate'. I think i've made myself clear where I stand but I am very OK with the burning of effigies when its ONLY the burning of effigies and then the mess is cleaned up. That to me does not equate to violence but a fun symbol of disapproval.

My main issue with protests is the struggle to identify a group ideology and what the protest is actually about. I can stand side by side with someone who disapproves of Trump, but I feel uncomfortable when I strongly disagree with what that other person is suggesting is the solution.
Dance in the moonlight my old friend twilight

Quote by metal4eva_22
What's this about ****ing corpses? My UG senses were tingling.
Protests, I have no problem with. You can't change peoples minds if they aren't aware it's an issue. It's part of a long-term plan to persuade someone, and will have a better root with each person convinced.

Riots, on the other hand, are violent, yet infantile acts. Using violence to make your beliefs happen mean you care about enacting your ideas, damn the other side---they need to do as I want. Do it or suffer may make for faster results, but others may be complying only to avoid being hurt. They aren't in your court, they want to survive.
Guitar/Bass:
Schecter: Damien 6/Stilletto Extreme 5, Squier: Bullet HSS*, Washburn RX10*/WG-587, Agile Septor 727
*mods

Amps/FX
Peavey: Vypyr 30/Max 112 (200W), ISP: Decimator

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Understood- I waste money on amps*, too.

justinguitar.com is the answer
I really really really don't see the point in the UK Trump protests

Is Trump going to sit there and think "10 people in the UK staged a protest against me, damn, I better change some of my policies!"
I have nothing important to say
Quote by █▐▌█▐▌
"Don't ban Muslims" is a definite message. "Don't take away our right to abortion" is a definite message. "Demilitarize the police" is a definite message. Etc. These are things that can be legislated. Even without a clear message, demonstrations are a space to communicate and organize in a grassroots way, to develop a clear message, and, if nothing else, to remind the ruling institutions that they can't get away with just anything.

Yeah, the whole point about having marches for "rights" isn't that the groups todays don't have rights and they wish to have (tho with trans people and the like there is still a fight to come), it's that Trump's presidency is likely to (or appears to) reduce the rights of those people. The marches are for supporting those rights and sending a message to Trump that they won't allow him reducing said rights
Quote by Thrashtastic15
im still proud of the people that go out there and even -gasp- destroy property.

I agree. Greater action is needed. Rise up my comrades. The time has come to seize the means of production.
Quote by Ozzy87_2
at least ur honest with ur lack of understanding of far left ideology ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Quote by StewieSwan

You don't think women's rights is a goal? You don't think legislation or policies can be put in place toward the goal of equality for women or certain religious groups?
"Social correctness has traditionally had nothing whatever to do with reason, logic, or physics. In fact, in England it is generally considered socially incorrect to know stuff or think about things."
-Douglas Adams
Quote by Prototype4342
You don't think women's rights is a goal? You don't think legislation or policies can be put in place toward the goal of equality for women or certain religious groups?

They aren't tangible goals is the point he's making. Women's rights in some ways can be tangible but not in all cases.
i went to one the other day because it seemed like a better use of my time than sitting on my butt feeling angry

it was a bit meaningless being in cardiff and all but pretty cathartic

and i do think there's genuine value in widespread protesting in that it makes widespread discontent visible; as horrific as so many politicians are, the concept of the people who vote them in opposing and supporting things is one that they certainly understand, and in america some of them even believe in it
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
The fact people are protesting Trump in other countries should tell you something is going awry. No, it's not the whole world going "libtard pussy losers". If people from the best countries in the world, ones who have the best standard of living, the least corruption, etc, complain about you, then the problem is very likely to be you. Such type of protests send a message that this is not something that's ok and is simply criticised but still tolerated
Maintaining your freedom to protest peacefully is never a waste of time. It doesnt matter what it is for.
Quote by TROUnation
Do you support these protests that have had happened? The womens march, anti-trump protests, BLM, etc. I think they're a waste of time and won't do anything to help their cause. What do you think?
You just gave them the attention they're demanding by mentioning them. Who are you kidding?

That's the thing about (non-destructive) protests. It's mostly done to get enough peoples' attention until there's enough of them that they can't ignore.
Quote by snipelfritz
You lost me at "Lubricate."

I'm raw, like nature. Nature boy. Big jungle leaves are my cum rags.

Sometimes I fuck a bamboo shoot.

There's nothing left here to be saved
Just barreling dogs and barking trains
Another year lost to the blue line
Page 1 of 2