Fairly new with guitar and still learning/training my ears to learn/pickup music by listening to it. So I'm trying to learn this native song and I got most of it but could use some help. Here's the song:

I tuned my guitar one step higher (F A# D# G# C F) and playing the chords D Bm G A mostly throughout the song.
Trying to play 1:49-2:13. I got most of it until 2:07 and I'm pretty sure he plays a scale of D from 2:08-2:13 and ends on a D note where singing starts again
I slowed it down to understand what notes he's playing but maybe due to recording I can't really distinguish the notes..

Also, 2:27-2:35 he plays some riff which I'm not so sure of.
Lastly, from 2:57-3:12 there's another lead.. I got part of it but entering the lead is another challenge..

I know some of you can just play it right after hearing it once.. I'm FAR from that but trying.. any help would be apprecaited.

Rock on...
Last edited by eclipseG at Feb 7, 2017,
eclipseG
Try tuning a half step down (Eb Ab Db Gb Bb Eb) and playing the chords E C#m A B. (You're tuned a half step higher btw, not one step).
e.g. like this, or whatever chord voicings you want to use.

That's how they're tuned, you can see the first three notes of the solo are at 12th, 11th fret e string, 12th fret B string for example.

At 2:08 you can try panning your speakers left and right to separate the harmony parts. Then we get an E major scale positionwise in this tuning. For some reason the low part with the triplets, then the high part with the 16ths comes out clearest to me. But this is what the first bar should be ... second bar ?? but try and find something with the same pattern which will lead up to the final note - which is G# (actual pitch G), higher harmony B (actual pitch Bb).

For 2:27 I was just going to do the first bar and say try to continue the pattern from there, but the first 3 bars came out pretty easy so ... don't know about 4th bar though.

Thank you sooooooo much for for your help. I actually meant half step but typed full step by mistake.. So when I tuned up half step and played the chords that I found here https://tabs.ultimate-guitar.com/m/musicians_alliance/chol_chol_chol_crd.htm it matched with the song, also matched our vocal. Even some of the riffs or part of the lead that I saw him playing on the video matched with my positioning. Having said that, I bet I can play with the positioning you also figured out. so if I stay with my current tuning, I can play the chords I listed, which transposes the same chords you mentioned, correct? in terms or the riffs, do I bring it up 2 frets higher?

Again, I really really appreciate your help with this. Wish I could buy you a six pack.
Also,
what you showed for 2:08, is it the E scale on both positions? I see you have 2 tracks, does that mean they get played simultaneously? What I hear is, from 2:08, he plays 12 notes after that another 12/13 notes that ends in a note of that scale.
Probably that tab should be capo 1st fret, it's not too normal to tune your guitar up instead!
But yeah, the chords in your tuning are the same as the chords I put for ½ step down. They both equate to starting from Eb in actual pitch (so Eb, Cm, Ab, Bb are the actual chords played). It's not always too easy to see what positioning is played on videos but you can see at the beginning that they're playing the chords higher up the neck of the guitar and certainly most of the lead I saw fit in with ½ step down tuning, there was only one 'suspicious' part!

So if you stay with ½ step up, then because you're tuned a full step above me you need to move what I've put down two frets. You will be playing it as if it was in D, so
5 7 9 , etc.

Yes, at 2:08, that is two guitars played simultaneously. So it's the E major scale (or Eb or D ), the lower guitar part starts from the root or 1st note of the scale, whereas the higher (harmony) part starts from the 3rd note of the scale. But they both stick totally within the scale and go up it totally linearly.

ok, this is what it should be if it fits the pattern (not saying this is exactly what was played on the recording).
Notice that the 2nd bar for Gtr I is exactly the same as the 1st bar for Gtr II. (I changed the positioning for Gtr II to fit better).

btw 2:34 pull-off lick which you probably need an open Eb string for.
Cheers!
sweet. I'll get started with this.. One more thing, if I'm using a capo or tuned half step up, this riff is changing as well, correct? then I would be playing the scale of D two times in two positions. Can you just show me the starting and ending notes? When I tried to play along with the song, I found string 2 fret 15 matched with the ending note. It'll be just a single guitar playing this whole thing.

Also, where do you think the arpeggio was played? I can't play that fast so I just did 15/1 12/1 13/2 x4 then 17/1 12/1 15/2 x4. sounds ok but I could be wrong.

Thanks.
Last edited by eclipseG at Feb 3, 2017,
This is the part that was confusing me. Seems like he ends on 2nd string 17th fret!

Quote by eclipseG
sweet. I'll get started with this.. One more thing, if I'm using a capo or tuned half step up, this riff is changing as well, correct? then I would be playing the scale of D two times in two positions. Can you just show me the starting and ending notes? When I tried to play along with the song, I found string 2 fret 15 matched with the ending note. It'll be just a single guitar playing this whole thing.

Yes, you need to move everything down 2 frets. So guitar 1, first bar start from fret 5, second bar start from fret 9, end on the F# at 14 on the e string.
Guitar 2, first bar start from fret 9, second bar start from fret 12, end on the A at 17 on the e string.
Now if you want to end on the D at the 15th fret, you would have to play, guess what? The very first run that we started with! I'm going to switch to your tuning so it's easier for you. These notes are exactly the same as if you start the pattern from the D at the 5th fret, just all moved down a string.

Maybe there are three guitar parts, harmonies all stacked on top of one another! But to be honest, I only hear the F# (left channel) and A (right).

Also, where do you think the arpeggio was played? I can't play that fast so I just did 15/1 12/1 13/2 x4 then 17/1 12/1 15/2 x4. sounds ok but I could be wrong.

He's actually playing 17, 12 > 14 string below, then 19, 14 > 16 string below in Eb tuning, so in your tuning that's
15/1 10/1 12/2 then 17/1 12/1 14/2
So you're just playing triplets, three notes per beat?
Try this other simplified version of the lick, all 16ths.
|15p10----10-15p10----10--etc-|17p12----12-17p12----12--etc-|
|------12----------12---------|------14----------14---------|
|-----------------------------|-----------------------------|

Re the picture, yes I noticed that part in the video too! I think he's actually playing 16th fret 1st string, but it looks like the 2nd string because he's using large vibrato, and could he be using his 2nd finger to fret at 16, not 3rd finger at 17? not sure about that part!
Awesome. so I tuned half step down as you suggested and playing the tabs.. seems like it's a bit fast for me.. trying to play along but not able to start on time or keep up with the tempo! Maybe just need more practice.

On a second note, I'm trying to play the lead at 2:55. Were you able to get that?

Thanks.
Good, that should help. Don't worry if you can't play it up to speed straight away, especially if you haven't been playing for long. Start off playing it slower or much slower if you need to, and gradually speed up.

I didn't look at 2:55 yet but it should be ok (apart from last phrase!). Do something for that later.
But I have got now the part at 2:34. I don't recommend trying to play it like this to begin with but for a simpler version and in case I made it too complicated anyway, try

12p0-11p0-9p0-11p0-12p0-11p0- etc

and then for the last bar
5h7p5p0-7h9p7p0- x2

The scale practice is getting better.. I think I'm close to the speed I should be playing. Now just the primary lead part (2:55) left to be figured out.
eclipseG
ok, here is the solo. The main part plus the harmony, and something maybe not exact but close enough for the last bar.

Note that there is a key change to G major (= relative major of E minor) from E major for the solo, and the 16th note line leading into it uses that scale to anticipate the change. Also the final bar of the solo has an E major arpeggio anticipating the change back to E major.

Thank you SO VERY much for your effort. I've been practicing the two scales at 2;08 and was able to play at 80% speed but even at 80% speed, the notes don't sound good (sounds choppy and not very smooth). Any tips on improving the quality and speed?
Very frustrated with this.. Been practicing hard but not able to achieve the perfection. I can get the speed but accuracy goes down the drain.. notes are not clear or very low/not sounding at all. I'm referring to the 2:08 part. The arpeggio starts right before 2:08 and the scales start at 2:08. Entering this part makes me nervous and I mess up when playing with the track. I even tried at 80% speed, which gives me a bit better result. Any recommendation on making this part a bit simpler and reduce the number of notes per beat?
Maybe the triplets are okay, but the 16ths get just a bit too fast? Then you can remove the last two notes of each bar and make it all triplets, like this :
|-----------------------------|------------------------------------|-----------------|
|---------------------9-10-12-|---------------------------12-14-16-|17---------------|
|--------------8-9-11---------|------------------11-13-14----------|-----------------|
|-------7-9-11----------------|---------11-13-14-------------------|-----------------|
|7-9-11-----------------------|11-12-14----------------------------|-----------------|
|-----------------------------|------------------------------------|-----------------|
 \  3  /\  3  /\  3  /\  3   / \   3   /\   3   /\   3   /\   3   /
And you can end on the E (at 17 or move it to 1st string, 12 if you want). Taking any more notes out will result in it not really resembling the original lick.
Otherwise, try not to get burned out on trying to play it, play something easier for a bit and then come back to it later.
I've been trying to play exactly what you put in your last post. the triplets and that's very fast for me @ 128bpm.