Poll: Should we have (some) gender segregated areas?
Poll Options
View poll results: Should we have (some) gender segregated areas?
Yes
12 31%
No
18 46%
It depends
9 23%
Voters: 39.
Page 1 of 2
Currently reading a thread on plebbit about a Danish swimming pool closing its women's only sessions at a swimming pool because Muslim women were using it and it wasn't good enough.

There were a lot of people in the comment saying that all segregation is bad especially when it's keeping genders apart and there should be no exceptions - if women don't feel comfortable swimming with men they should get over it! Same for gyms.

What is your opinion on this? Should there be some gender segregation in some areas of life in order to make some people feel more comfortable or should it be 100% none at all in order to have a progressive liberal society?

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
I don't think gender segregation would decrease rates of sexual assault. I think it could well be the opposite. Look at countries where similar language about "protecting women" is used, like Saudi Arabia and India. Making the female sex into this brittle alien is 'an aspect of the conundrum'. Addressing sexual assault, I think, requires a lot more digging into the psychology of cultural bartering in sexual predatory within gender narratives.

Yes I'm going to great lengths to avoid the buzzword accusation
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
I don't think gender segregation would decrease rates of sexual assault. I think it could well be the opposite. Look at countries where similar language about "protecting women" is used, like Saudi Arabia and India. Making the female sex into this brittle alien is 'an aspect of the conundrum'. Addressing sexual assault, I think, requires a lot more digging into the psychology of cultural bartering in sexual predatory within gender narratives.

Yes I'm going to great lengths to avoid the buzzword accusation

I was more thinking women's/kids hours we have in swimming pools or such in the UK. They're not stopping people going swimming with the rest of the population, just providing an option for people if they want. It's a small thing which could help a lot of people.

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
I suppose I don't mind it so long as it's private organizations, though I should state as a sidebar that on the whole I'm not really for enabling any culture's shame of sexuality. The discussion I think should revolve around sexual violence in its pretext, prior to taking any positions as to its effectiveness.
Sounds like the best solution is to ban muslims from swimming pools. No segregation required.
I have nothing important to say
I'm not really into hanging around with people just based on what genitals they have

that sounds like hell
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
I suppose I don't mind it so long as it's private organizations, though I should state as a sidebar that on the whole I'm not really for enabling any culture's shame of sexuality. The discussion I think should revolve around sexual violence in its pretext, prior to taking any positions as to its effectiveness.

What about parent and child only swimming sessions?

Quote by EndTheRapture51
What about parent and child only swimming sessions?

I'm not sure what that is. Is that like father daughter dances?
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
I'm not sure what that is. Is that like father daughter dances?

Taking your child to swim with you but no other people are allowed there like if you don't have a child

Oh, I dunno if that's a bad thing. I mean technically adults aren't allowed on school property if they have no justifiable reason to be there, so there's sort of precedent.
As long as all the secret lesbian orgy spots are left alone then desegregate whatever.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Lol no. Why change something that has been working perfectly fine for years? I just think its dumb to change something just because a couple of people don't feel safe, while the majority don't even care.
Quote by TROUnation
Lol no. Why change something that has been working perfectly fine for years? I just think its dumb to change something just because a couple of people don't feel safe, while the majority don't even care.

9 out of 10 people enjoy gang rape

lets make it legal

Quote by TROUnation

Yeah protests are dumb, status quo is great, etc
does it even matter when "genderfluid" people exist?
Quote by CaptainCanti
it wouldn't surprise me if UG goes down within the next couple months, along with other privately owned sites

December 14, 2017
Maybe I'm being too logical about this but if a large % of the people who go the swimming pool are Muslim women who refuse to go unless they have their own session then it makes total sense to do a segregated swim session. If it's like 2 or 3 people then it would be stupid. It's like if McDonalds don't do a vegan meal. Yes they lose business, but unless there are a large number of vegans who are unable/unwilling to eat McDonalds due to this they aren't going to care.
Quote by Random3
Maybe I'm being too logical about this but if a large % of the people who go the swimming pool are Muslim women who refuse to go unless they have their own session then it makes total sense to do a segregated swim session. If it's like 2 or 3 people then it would be stupid. It's like if McDonalds don't do a vegan meal. Yes they lose business, but unless there are a large number of vegans who are unable/unwilling to eat McDonalds due to this they aren't going to care.
How is it logical though? They're in a public place with mixed cultures. Just because they're Muslim, it doesn't give them the right to have their own session. They should just get used to being around different types of people.
Quote by TROUnation
How is it logical though? They're in a public place with mixed cultures. Just because they're Muslim, it doesn't give them the right to have their own session. They should just get used to being around different types of people.

We should also integrate Bible groups with readings of the Quran etc. and merge all religious places of worship together. Also get rid of gendered bathrooms entirely.

Quote by EndTheRapture51
We should also integrate Bible groups with readings of the Quran etc. and merge all religious places of worship together. Also get rid of gendered bathrooms entirely.
But religion is a whole different thing. Of course a catholic is not going to go to a mosque. The thing is these Muslims are trying to get their own session in a public pool. If they made a pool specifically for muslims, then I'd be fine with it.
I like gendered bathrooms only cos I don't have to queue for like 20 minutes to go for a piss

Muslims need their own swimming pools now? What's wrong with the public ones exactly?
Last edited by Bladez22 at Feb 3, 2017,
Quote by TROUnation

It doesn't give them the right, no. What I meant was that from a business perspective, the swimming pool has two choices.

Either they can say no and turn away those potential customers.

Or they can say yes, and give those customers their own session.

Whether this makes logical or financial sense is dependent on how much business they would be potentially losing. If every week they have, say, 200 Muslim women come for a swim and end up leaving as a result of there not being a dedicated session that fits their needs, then it would make sense for them to dedicate a 2-3 hour bracket every weekend for Muslim women, for example.

That's what I meant with my vegan analogy. If thousands of vegans choose to go elsewhere for their fast food every day because McDonalds doesn't cater for vegans, it would be a smart business decision for McDonalds to introduce a vegan option. Of course, if there are only like 2 vegans they turn away each day then that isn't really any lost business so it would be a waste of time.
Quote by Bladez22
I like gendered bathrooms only cos I don't have to queue for like 20 minutes to go for a piss

Muslims need their own swimming pools now? What's wrong with the public ones exactly?

It's more about getting a gendered session in a swimming pol so that the Muslim women can feel comfortable eg. not have Muslim or non-Muslim men look at them in bathing costumes

Quote by EndTheRapture51
It's more about getting a gendered session in a swimming pol so that the Muslim women can feel comfortable eg. not have Muslim or non-Muslim men look at them in bathing costumes

They already have women only swim sessions at my swimming pool, and none for men, sexist pricks
Quote by Bladez22
They already have women only swim sessions at my swimming pool, and none for men, sexist pricks

Maybe you should ask for one

Random3
Ahh, I saw your comment in a complete different way. As a business standpoint it makes perfect and logical sense. I just dislike how the muslims are demanding for their own session, just because of their religion. But to each their own, its the owners job to decide, not us.
Quote by TROUnation
I just dislike how the muslims are demanding for their own session, just because of their religion.

Kinda have to ask here, why does that actually matter? I mean if they were Nazis or something objectionable then I would get it, but what exactly is wrong with Muslims wanting to go swimming?
Quote by Random3
Kinda have to ask here, why does that actually matter? I mean if they were Nazis or something objectionable then I would get it, but what exactly is wrong with Muslims wanting to go swimming?
Its not the muslims but people as a whole who want a thing their way. It just bothers me that they cant accustom themselves to be around different cultures.
Quote by TROUnation
Its not the muslims but people as a whole who want a thing their way. It just bothers me that they cant accustom themselves to be around different cultures.

It's their belief that's why they have traditional Muslim dress because they place emphasis on modesty (supposedly)

Quote by TROUnation

I partly agree with this. I used to work as a lifeguard and for some reason they seemed to think it was acceptable to wear full-body robes (I forget the name) in a swimming pool. Like they didn't get the safety and hygiene problems with that. That is an instance where I agree with you.

Having their own swim sessions isn't really the same. As long as it doesn't hurt anyone, I don't see why it matters.
Yes, and here is why. There is a significant enough chunk of the population that would be embarrassed or distressed to share the restroom with strangers of the opposite sex. That in itself is enough reason, I think, in a civilized society. I don't hold some of the "enlightened" views of some folks of the left. For example...I think if you have a cock, you go to the men's room. Society doesn't have to pretend along with Caitlin Jenner. For the record, I think "gender-displaced" people are mentally ill. They aren't necessarily bad people, but they aren't normal. No, that shouldn't be a crime, but again, stick to the restroom that aligns with your biological sex.

I agree with the GOP on this one. Not because I think trannies are a threat (they aren't), but because of common sense.
Should doesn't come into it.

It would seem preferential to have some, for some.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
Quote by TobusRex
Yes, and here is why. There is a significant enough chunk of the population that would be embarrassed or distressed to share the restroom with strangers of the opposite sex. That in itself is enough reason, I think, in a civilized society. I don't hold some of the "enlightened" views of some folks of the left. For example...I think if you have a cock, you go to the men's room. Society doesn't have to pretend along with Caitlin Jenner. For the record, I think "gender-displaced" people are mentally ill. They aren't necessarily bad people, but they aren't normal. No, that shouldn't be a crime, but again, stick to the restroom that aligns with your biological sex.

I agree with the GOP on this one. Not because I think trannies are a threat (they aren't), but because of common sense.

haven't you heard, though? biological sex is a social construct

Quote by CaptainCanti
it wouldn't surprise me if UG goes down within the next couple months, along with other privately owned sites

December 14, 2017
Quote by StewieSwan
haven't you heard, though? biological sex is a social construct

Uh huh. I've been imagining that gigantic horsecock between my legs for 52 years, I guess.....
Quote by TobusRex
I've been imagining that gigantic horsecock between my legs for 52 years

Why you gotta bring your fantasies into this discussion damn
Just because sex is not as much of the explicitly definable binary as we might typically think, does not mean that, when someone who is male but identifies as a woman says "I am not male", that they are not engaging is reality denial

In some of the social circles I tiptoe around, that is an extremely controversial belief. I am baffled, but I digress
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
Quote by TobusRex

???

do you check the genitals of everyone who uses the bathroom?
Hey y'all let's disseminate direct transphobia and then use a youtube video to engage that transphobia.

I signed up for a women only gym because going into a weights room with men around is really intimidating and the weights are more likely to be available to use.

If having a women only session once a week is going to encourage more women to attend, then I don't think it's really a problem. It's not like men will suffer because they can't go at that one time in the week. Should there be men only sessions? Sure, if the gender imbalance goes the other way like running men only pole fitness or ballet classes.

Closing a swimming pool's women only session because only Muslim women were using it doesn't sound quite. Sounds like misinformation. If they closed it because it wasn't well attended then that's fair enough, but if they closed it because the majority were Muslim, then that's religious discrimination, not sexism.
Quote by Renka
OddOneOut is an Essex S&M mistress and not a pirate or a computer program.

segregation is stupid
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
There shall be a stop to this madness. The battle is not over. My tasty licks aren't going anywhere.

Quote by The_Blode
^ I've just realised if you say Simple Plan's 2011 effort "Get Your Heart On!" really fast in a Southern American accent, it sounds gross. . .like sexual gross!

Quote by Necroheadbanger
Hello.
I'm looking for professional bongo-ists and triangle-ists to make a Progressive Technical Brutal Death Metal band
(will be called AxOxJxLxAxIxVxXxUxWxZxQxUxRxWxGxJxSxAxLxKxMxNxHxUxGxAxAxWxVxCxBxZxVx)
(Don't even ask what it means)

https://soundcloud.com/95dank

Page 1 of 2