Hey guys, been thinking about a 7string purchase. I'm mainly playing buckethead/satriani style music. A lot of soloing and improv. My question is, do you think a 7 string guitar would fit me?

I've also recently been playing with a string quartet. Basically concertos for two violins (like in Am by Vivaldi, or Dual Violin concertos for Bach) but 2nd violin is played by me on a guitar. Not metal though, classical style, so basically I need a guitar that will be good for playing with a lot of articulation and my question is, do you think 7 string might hurt instead of being a benefit?

As for the actual guitar suggestion. I'm thinking of 500-800 dollars. I'd prefer not to go used, since i'm not residing in the US. I will be purchasing from the US during late Summer visit though.

So to recap:
25.5 scale
7 string
locking trem
up to $800
new

I've got this in mind: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/ibanez-rg-series-rg7420pb-7-string-electric-guitar

Or... should I just purchase a 6 string with a Floyd Rose for the same amount?
Could you get something shipped to your location while in the US? If so, Rondo might be a good idea to check out.
Guitar/Bass:
Schecter: Damien 6/Stilletto Extreme 5, Squier: Bullet HSS*, Washburn RX10*/WG-587, Agile Septor 727
*mods

Amps/FX
Peavey: Vypyr 30/Max 112 (200W), ISP: Decimator

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Understood- I waste money on amps*, too.

justinguitar.com is the answer
The Rondo Music dot com website has an extensive set of choices for extended range guitars. Note that they also have multi-scale guitars (fan fret) that are proving to be pretty popular -- some find them easier to play than straight-fret guitars!

You might also have a friend in the US keep an eye out for a good used Carvin or other premium brand guitar (used).

There's no point I can think of at which a 7-string would be a detriment to you in the kinds of music you're playing.
Last edited by dspellman at Feb 3, 2017,

More strings, when you get used to them, won't impair your articulation at all.

Get a fanned fret Agile. I'm gonna do the same thing later this month
Legato and fluidity in your playing is where it's at

DJENT!!
ಠ_ಠ
dspellman & bjgrifterThank you guys, Rondo Music shipping seems reasonable. I assume they would ship within the usual 5-10 business days right?

What guitar should I look for there, Agile? Not a fan of fanned frets/scale, It feels odd to me, although does look good on Animals As Leaders and Andy McKee vids.

Any info on Ibanez RG7420PB? I think I'm slowly falling in love with that guitar but I can't get any info on how the wiring/switching is done and when it was released. I'm assuming it's this year?
Last edited by Vendetta V at Feb 4, 2017,
The PB part on the RG7421 stands for Poplar Burl top. It's a premium on the look of the 7421, but adds no extra functionality to the standard 7421. I think the PB option is pretty new from what I've been able to pick up, but don't quote me. The 7x21 line is fairly well rated and the 7421 is the top of the list for the budget Ibanez 7-stringers.

Might also want to keep the Schecter Demon 7 in mind. It seems to be readily available in Guitar Center and has a 26.5" scale and runs 400-500 new.
Guitar/Bass:
Schecter: Damien 6/Stilletto Extreme 5, Squier: Bullet HSS*, Washburn RX10*/WG-587, Agile Septor 727
*mods

Amps/FX

Quote by dannyalcatraz

You do realize the RG7x21's don't have a locking trem, though (neither does the Demon 7)?
Guitar/Bass:
*mods

Amps/FX

Quote by dannyalcatraz

Ibanez has some prestige models like that. used may be in range.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by bjgrifter
You do realize the RG7x21's don't have a locking trem, though (neither does the Demon 7)?
This is exactly the reason I got my eye set on PB version. The blue top does add up too, but the locking trem is the key. I know Shechter got Damien Elite 7 FR but I don't quite like the gothic look on it too much. They're great guitars but at the same time wouldn't suit me or my music on the stage.

I'm also a little on the fense about their really lacqured necks. Does get sticky at times.

Also that ibanez knife headstock <3
Theres Tremolo and Floyd Version of RG7421 PB SBF. I have myself fixed bridge version, within this price it owns shcecters and ltds at this point
Personally I think the Agile Interceptor Pro is a better bang for the buck than the Ibanez, First off it's a neck thru, as opposed to a bolt on, The Agile uses a Floyd Rose FRT 2000s, Which is S Korean made and every bit as good as the Schaller German made FR, Have no idea what a Standard DL is, The kicker is The Agile is made in South Korea, S Korea actually makes very nice guitars, The Ibanez is made in Indonesia, Generally those in the know try and avoid Indonesian made guitars ,
Quote by Vendetta V
nastytrollto be honest, while neck thru feels good it's also a pretty big issue when you need to refret your guitar. And I do tend to keep my guitars long enough for them to need a refret

Huh? What's being a neck thru have to do with a refret ? Gee I wonder how they refret all those Gibson's with they're set necks? Break them in half and glue them back together after refreting them? Maybe I've been doing it wrong all these years
Quote by Vendetta V
nastytrollto be honest, while neck thru feels good it's also a pretty big issue when you need to refret your guitar. And I do tend to keep my guitars long enough for them to need a refret

Neck-through/set neck is not an issue when you need to refret your guitar. That's bad information or a bad tech or both.
In answer to your original question (7 string?) -- my noodling on other people's 7-strings suggests that a 7 is helpful for keeping your hand in one position (an 8 would presumably help even more) for classical-style things. Time spent on my own 7-string suggest to me that I want to move to a smaller/lighter/more compact guitar, so I'm looking at a Strandberg or Kiesel headless and fan-fret 7 (or 8) next. I've been watching Sarah Longfield maneuver around her Strandberg of late, and while I'm not going to be doing a lot of her music, the techniques used suggest that it will work for what i want to do. But the versions I've been looking at live mostly around $2K. 

Agile is well in the forefront of guitars offering quality, solid ERG choices and low money. They're breaking the ice for a LOT of manufacturers who trail along after them, eventually offering guitars that until recently were only available for big bucks from custom builders. Absolutely worth a look. 

I would NOT be surprised, by the way, to see Agile offering headless versions of their guitars in the near future; this is definitely on Kurt's radar. 
dspellman Ah good input thank you. So you would also suggest the Agile interpector pro over the ibanez 7421PB I mentioned?

The Agile does seem to have a better trem and pickups. However two things i'm not very fond of are the arch top and the reverse headstock. Also the laquer, is it a good slidy laquer or does it stick like a lot of those Schecter ones do? 

Is there any chance to actually play on any Agile guitars in the US (Mainly LA)? A retail store may be or something.
I'm not a fan of reverse headstocks either; but you get used to them. Ditto the archtop (if you've been playing flat plank guitars). 

I think the lacquer is UV-catalyzed polyester. My experience with glossy lacquers is that they "play in." In other words, they get less sticky with time as they develop micro scratches. Some folks take a bit of 0000 (four zeros) steel wool or (better) the green scratchy pads to the back of the neck of these guitars *just* enough to knock back the gloss a bit. That makes a big difference, particularly on a brand new guitar. I really don't have issues with sticky paint (I do wax my guitars with a good carnauba), but I know some folks do. Definitely keep your neck clean;  a sheen of old sweat will eventually result in your hand permanently fused to the back of the guitar. 

It's really unlikely that you'll find an Agile in a store, though they'll occasionally appear used in a Guitar Splinter. Part of the reason that they're such a good value is that they're not sold in retail stores, so you're not layering on that chunk of profit-taking as do Ibanez, Schecter, etc.   Are you in Los Angeles? Most of mine are LP-style with 24.75" scales, with just one of them a 27" 7-string (but still an LP-style guitar). 
dspellman Not in LA atm, currently based overseas but planning to go back for a few weeks in September I think. That's when I'll be doing the buying too. 

I get it about the laquer. I guess it eventually does get 'played in' as you like to put it. But the archtop and the headstock aren't gonna change. Sure might get used to it, but that's a little different.

So I guess my options are as follows:
1. Visit Guitar center, try out tons of 7 strings. Figure out if I like the whole 7 string idea for the main guitar.
2. Try out the Ibby one I mentioned. If I fall in love then I guess I can just go with it. If not then
3. Purchase the interceptor pro
4, if I don't like 7 strings at all for the main guitar then I'll probably get either a cheaper 7 string without FR and may be Dark terror or just a 6 string with FR.

Such a tough call

PS. thanks for all the info by the way. Where are you located in LA, btw?
Plus 1 for the Agile intercepter pound for pound more bang for the buck!
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge