I recently bought a Randall 1003h. Previously my rig was an old Marshall valvestate 8100. I play both through a Marshall 1960 cab. The new head just doesn't seem as loud as it should be. The other guitarist in my band plays an old Peavey Supreme 160 and even with my amp on 10 and his on 2 or 3, I have a hard time cutting through. I've only had it about a month so I'm not sure what it'll be like playing shows but i assume if it's mic'd it'll be fine. I've tried using 2 cabs and that seems to help a lot but it still seems considerably quieter than the peavey but I can be heard at least. Does this seem accurate as far as the volume or should it be louder than that. It just seems like I shouldn't have to be on 10 to be heard in a band situation but I'm not sure.
It should be loud enough at 100 watts. But there are a few contributing factors that can affect the actual volume and and the perceived volume.

But first:
Are you scooping your mids? That can effectively make any amp disappear in a live setting. And some amps have a more mid scooped eq from the factory than others making scooped mids worse for you. Try turning them up and lowering the bass a bit.

That amp has a bass boost and mid contour switch. If those are on turn them off. That ties in with the mids being scooped too much. They effectively act like a mute switch in a band setting. It can sound good when playing alone, but negatively effects tone and volume in a band.

What speakers are in your cab? Inefficient speakers can cut some potential volume.

What is your gain set at? Too much gain can thin out the tone and/or make it muddy therefore burying it further into a live mix.

What is the impedance of the cab? The amp requires a minimum of 4 ohms, but plugging into a higher impedance can affect the total output power enough to quiet things up. At least for ss amps

Those are the user controlable issues.

Other issues are poorly designed/broken amps, but I found those Randalls to be decent. And this one is still relatively new.
Last edited by Liaztraht at Feb 3, 2017,
I also have an RG1003h. I'll be honest, I only picked it up as a practice amp / have a little fun with amp, so it's never left my personal studio and have never tried it out in a band setting.

That being said, it seems I can have the volume up higher on this than any other amp I've ever owned. This might be on 4 or 5 where, say, id be my 6505 at 2. But your talking tube vs SS. This may also be a reason Randall also has a 150 and 300 watt version.

No surprise the Peavey Supreme is louder as its 160 watts. My 100 watt bandit would also probably be louder than this amp as well. At least if memory serves, I haven't plugged the bandit in in a couple of years.

The Randall RG1003 is a great sounding SS amp though and a hell of a lot of fun to play around with. I would say if your happy with it otherwise, return it and get the 300watt. Plus its got a built in NG! Not that they're needed much with SS amps, but still cool.
Xander_X if its quiet for you as well, either it's a design flaw, or they stayed their output wrong/measured it differently.

I still stand by turning up the mids If they are scooped though.
The mid scoop function DEFINITELY lowers the volume significantly. I honestly haven't used it much since I bought it. I'll give it a good crank tomorrow and give an update. Too busy drinking jack & cokes, playing SNES, & listening to Def Leppard records to bother with it at the moment lol. Although the more I drink, the more I want to jam ... so we'll see.
Xander_X lucky. I am at work... At least I got to jam before hand...

But yes, most mid shift buttons tend to uber-scoop the mids so much that the amp sounds quieter. I use a ton of mids and my 120 watt ss cuts above a 120 watt tube amp at the same volume settings.
I would say I use an average amount. My main amp is a 6505+ with either a XXX 412, Orange PPC212, or Randall RD212-v30 ... the last two loaded with v30s and the XXX with V30ish speakers. All of those are mid heavy, but I run my Mid-EQ on the amp at 3 ... so I'd say it averages the mids out.

Sucks you gotta work. I worked hard to get an 8-5 M-F job. But my wife bartends a couple nights a week for some extra scratch. Was going to go to the bar tonight, but my wife took one car (obviously) and the wiper transmission went in the other car when I went to get in it to go and it's snowing, so I'm stuck here.
Last edited by Xander_X at Feb 3, 2017,
I have RG1503, the 150w big brother of your amp and that thing can get ungodly loud, even though im running it into 8 ohm cab which means thr amp is running at about half power. If your amp has trouble getting loud something may be wrong with it.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Quote by MaaZeus
I have RG1503, the 150w big brother of your amp and that thing can get ungodly loud, even though im running it into 8 ohm cab which means thr amp is running at about half power. If your amp has trouble getting loud something may be wrong with it.

What do you mean its running at about half power? 8 ohms is an average Impedance for speakers. 16 ohms would mean less power, and its quite rare to find a 4 ohm can unless custom built.
Xander_X

Solid state amps output their max power when attached to the minimum load they can handle. In the case of this amp it is 4 ohms. If the load is below it, the amp overloads and may break. When you go above it, the power drops. At 8 ohms the wattage drops from 1/3 to half depending on amp, in 16 ohms its dropped even more.

4 ohms is not that uncommon. 4x12 cabs with 16 ohm speakers can be wired to either 16 ohms or 4 ohms.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
I have only ever owned or played through 16 ohm 412s. I don't think I've seen (or noticed) a 4 ohm cab that wasn't for bass.

I also stand corrected, I didn't realize the amp was 4 ohm. I'll be honest, I picked it up for $100 and played it only a few times. I noticed it did t have an ohms switch like every other amp I've owned however.
My b52 cab can run at 4. But it's a stereo/mono cab.

I used to own a ss fender with a minimum 4 ohm impedance. Plugging into the 16ohm side of the cab did not make a noticeable drop in volume, so that shouldn't be an issue.
Huh, every cab I've owned usually, even with a switch, was either 16 or 8. Although, full disclosure, though I've used a lot of amps through the years, I've used nothing but Peavey cabs up until about a year ago, when I really started to want to experiment with tone more.

So anyways, I got a chance to play with the RG1003h a bit more today. I forgot that it had a master volume, that's why in my head I was thinking about how I could turn it up more. It is definitely LOUD. Like still not 120w tube loud, but I don't see a reason this would have an issue in a band setting.

Sure, at 160 watts, your band mates amp is going to have a decent amount of headroom over you, but he shouldn't need to be using enough wattage to be playing over you.

I was playing this through a 16 ohm series/parallel 412 btw.
Last edited by Xander_X at Feb 4, 2017,
Ok so, i had practice last night for the first time since this post. It most definitely has an extremely hard time cutting through the mix. It sounds definitely loud until the who band comes in. Maybe the key is just in the settings, I've had a hard time getting a decent tone in general. Peoplr that have this amp, do you usually use an overdrive pedal or just channel 2 or 3? What are the settings that sound good to your ears?
Quote by TheBlackVomit
Ok so, i had practice last night for the first time since this post. It most definitely has an extremely hard time cutting through the mix. It sounds definitely loud until the who band comes in. Maybe the key is just in the settings, I've had a hard time getting a decent tone in general. Peoplr that have this amp, do you usually use an overdrive pedal or just channel 2 or 3? What are the settings that sound good to your ears?

you need a cab that can be run at 4ohms. your head is 100 watts at 4ohms but as mentioned if you run it thru cabs that have a higher ohm rating then your power level drops a great deal. your amp just can't run that cab loud enough to compete. sadly your amp is advertised as a 100 watt head but that is a bit of an exaggeration. pretty much what you can expect from a $300 head though.
Thanks for all of the responses guys. I guess I'm just going to have to live with the volume issue and tell my band mates to turn down just a slight bit. I am currently using a 4 ohm cabinet so it's definitely maxed out.
Also turn the mids up and turn off the midscoop button. And be mindful of how much gain you use. Less is usually more in a band setting. Settings you use in bedroom or (typically ALL THE GAIN! NO MIDS!) does not work in a band, you will be drowned if that is the setting you use.

Incidentally, when you turn the mids up on this amp the volume also goes up quite a lot. Joys of active EQ I guess.

Also to add, here is a clip where the big brother RG1503w 150W version almost drowns out the drummer at 1:55. I have hard time believing the 100W is incapable of doing the same. The maximum volume difference between 100W and 150W should not be very big.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Last edited by MaaZeus at Feb 10, 2017,
I honestly think it's a combination of my amp being slightly quiet and the other guitarist's being loud. My amp totally works when it's just me, bass, and guitar. It doesn't get drowned out until there's 2 guitars. He's playing a 160 watt peavey supreme with a boss hm-2 with the levels all the way up to 10 on the pedal. Could those settings have something to do with it? I usually use the clean channel with an mxr distortion pedal myself.
Shouldn't need a distortion pedal with that amp. What pedal? Some mxr pedals don't even meet unity gain and some don't cut well.
While generally better sounding than a metal zone, those fullbores can have difficulty cutting like the mz. It is dependant on if the mid scoop button is on, and how the mid and mid frequency controlls are set.

Though I do say try the amp's gain channel in a band setting instead of the pedal. It should be pretty wicked sounding and loud. Metal is what Randall does best.
Quote by TheBlackVomit
I just got it really because it has a noise and I usually have feedback issues
if you have noise issues, boss ns-2 noise gates can be had cheap used
I'll try that. It's relieving to be getting this advice. I've been kind of worried that I wasted $300 but it just didn't seem possible get it wasn't loud enough.
Quote by TheBlackVomit
I'll try that. It's relieving to be getting this advice. I've been kind of worried that I wasted $300 but it just didn't seem possible get it wasn't loud enough.
Let us know how it goes!
Quote by TheBlackVomit
I honestly think it's a combination of my amp being slightly quiet and the other guitarist's being loud. My amp totally works when it's just me, bass, and guitar. It doesn't get drowned out until there's 2 guitars. He's playing a 160 watt peavey supreme with a boss hm-2 with the levels all the way up to 10 on the pedal. Could those settings have something to do with it? I usually use the clean channel with an mxr distortion pedal myself.

Maxed out Boss HM-2? He is going for the Swedish Death Metal tone? That sound is very distinctive and bizarre, in a good way of course. It probably does give an impression of drowning others due to how different it is to traditional distortion.

Question is, what kind of music do you play? Are you going for the swedish DM tone? If you are, then why you do not have HM-2 (or a clone) as well? If not, I'd suggest he takes that pedal off from the signal chain and start working with you to make your tones complement each other.

But if you want similar tone to his but are on a budget buy Behringer HM300 pedal, or couple for spares (because Behringer. Duds are common). It is a cheap HM2 clone. Only difference is that when you crank everything it gets a bit shrill but if take the Mid knob (High on Boss) down just a hair then its virtually identical to the maxed out Boss HM2.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3