Schecter C1 Platinum
2 15%
Ibanez S Series S621QM
2 15%
Jackson SLXT X Series Soloist
7 54%
Voters: 13.
Page 1 of 2
Hello everybody. OK so let me start off saying I have $500 I can spend on another guitar here in a couple weeks. I'm wanting experience and opinions on the Epiphone Les Paul standard, Schecter C1 Platinum, Ibanez S Series S621QM and last but not least the Jackson SLXT X Series Soloist. I'm looking for a hardtail and something to play metal with. I currently own a Fender FA-100 Acoustic and a 60's Fender re-issue road worn Strat with Fender Custom Shop 57/62 pickups, upgraded steel trem block, brass saddle and blocked the trem. I'm not set in stone just choosing from these guitars, but these have looked among the best in its price range. Any info helps.
Last edited by Stedke at Feb 4, 2017,
Used will expand your selection.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
Look used, but for your list, Jackson Soloist. Neck is amazing. That said, if you haven't tried them, it would be adviseable.
Guitar/Bass:
Schecter: Damien 6/Stilletto Extreme 5, Squier: Bullet HSS*, Washburn RX10*/WG-587, Agile Septor 727
*mods

Amps/FX
Peavey: Vypyr 30/Max 112 (200W), ISP: Decimator

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Understood- I waste money on amps*, too.

justinguitar.com is the answer
Once I get my tax return, some of my buddies and I are going over to sweetwater and guitar center so I can try these out. I'm just trying to get personal opinions on the matter as well. Now there is a jackson dinky pro with officialy licensed floyd rose I've talked too on craigslist and could get for 550. I honestly would prefer a hardtail but I've read some good stuff on the Dinky pro.
Those new Dinky Pros have an FRT02000 Korean Floyd, which is about as close to a German Floyd as you'll get on an import Jackson. Reportedly built with the same materials as the German Floyd.

I don't own/play tremolos, but if you can accept the extra work involved with Floyds, you could always block it if need be. The ebony board on those guitars is a nice spec, too.
chaosinsues5 I particularly don't care for fr, had one and it was a pain in the ass. But at them same time if the guitar is really good, that would outweigh the fr.
Then again Im thinking I'm about to drop a half a grand, maybe I should just stick to the hardtail.
Now I've found a Charvel Pro Mod San Dimas Style 1 HH-HT and got the guy to 550 does that seem like a better guitar and a good price? The guy is about 3 hours away so if anyone has some experience before I drive 3 hours to find out its not a very good guitar. Looking at the specs it looks pretty good.
I love my schecter I just picked up another. I have a diamond series blackjack sls and a diamond series hellraiser solo 2.

Have you had a chance to get your hands on the guitars you mentioned.
I haven't yet, the closest sweetwater and guitar center are about an hour and a half away, bUT once I get my tax return I plan on going there with a couple buddies and trying everything out. Just looking for opinions on the guitars until then.
Might want to checkout Sweetwater's demo room. I can't say they would have anything you're looking into when you shop, but while you're there, a quick stroll down couldn't hurt. So many guitars, so little money. Either way, they have a ton of axes on the wall that you don't need to ask someone to grab a ladder.
Guitar/Bass:
Schecter: Damien 6/Stilletto Extreme 5, Squier: Bullet HSS*, Washburn RX10*/WG-587, Agile Septor 727
*mods

Amps/FX

Quote by dannyalcatraz

I went there about about a month ago, but at that point I didn't know getting abother guitar was happening. I tried some stuff out but not what I'm looking at now.
I'd go for the Jackson. See if they have a demo Pro series while you are there.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
The longer you wait to get to Sweetwater the better chance they'll have some 2017 models in.
Now what do you guys think of the Charvel Pro Mod San Dimas Style 1 HH-HT
Quote by chaosinsues5
The longer you wait to get to Sweetwater the better chance they'll have some 2017 models in.

You can also have them let you know if something new comes in if it's not in stock. If it's listed, you can either pre-order it or just have them e-mail you when it becomes available.
Guitar/Bass:
*mods

Amps/FX

Quote by dannyalcatraz

Quote by Stedke

Solid guitar, but not my cup of tea. I didn't like the neck, but I'm confident you could use one as a weapon and still keep playing it.
Guitar/Bass:
*mods

Amps/FX

Quote by dannyalcatraz

That's how I have the 2017 jackson slxt set up from sweetwater. Once it's in I'm supposed to get an email. BUT I found another jackson that looks very similar to the SLXT but with emgs. I never realized how hard it is buying a guitar. This is my first time buying my own guitar even thought this will be my 6th guitar, I've either traded or was gifted what I have. Only have my strat 60s re issue road worn and the fender accoustic. My buddy at work said buying a guitar is a lot like picking a wife. He went on to say it's almost like an intimate thing. What you like on how it feels or sounds will be different than how someone else feels about it. I'm starting to realize that. Well I guess I bought one guitar once... but it was such a steal I just made sure everything worked before buying. I got an old marshall lead 12 3005 mini stack and 80s charvel for 275 bucks. That deal was a once in a lifetime for me. But now that I know what I'm looking for and being picky, it's not easy. Don't get me wrong, it's still fun though.
Quote by Stedke
alistairdunne1994 I haven't really. Haven't had any experience with them, or known anybody that had ever had one.

I'd say that currently, at their lower price point, they're producing the best quality stuff.

Recently bought a LTD MH103 on sale for £205, and it surpasses guitars I've played that are triple the price point. Obviously pickups etc aren't great, but they're easily changed.
Quote by Stedke

i loved the one I demo'd at Sam Ash. plays really nice, sounds great and well built. I wouldn't hesitate to buy one personally.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by Stedke
trashedlostfdup is 550 for one a good price?

if its in good shape, not bad. maybe a little less. check reverb (dot com) and eBay sold listings for better reference though.

have you looked into used MIJ jacksons? huge bang for the buck there.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
There is a guy I'm talking to that has a 1991 jackson hardtail with what looks like emg pickups made in japan. It has the reversed headstock and wants only 200 bucks.
Sounds like a fantastic deal aside from the fact those specs don't match any North American market early '90s Jackson import. The number of Jackson imports in '91-'92 was small, and I know of none with a hard tail/reverse headstock. Not sayin' there isn't one, but I can't name one or find one in my info.

Get a pic of the front/back and serial.

Could be a mutt, or the guy doesn't know how to decypher the serial. An early '90s would have a 'Professional' logo on the headstock.
Last edited by chaosinsues5 at Feb 8, 2017,
To me it looks like a Jackson SLATTXMGQ but without the active pickups as the one on CL has emg hz
But then again the knobs are different positions. The guy isn't even sure what model it is.
But then again the knobs are different positions. The guy isn't even sure what model it is.
That doesn't even look '90s. My feeling is it's a swapped neck, but I can't tell if it's a bolt on.
Get a serial and find out if it's a neck thru or bolt on.

Another thing, it doesn't appear to be an arch top, which would indicate a DKMGT, but get confirmation on flat/arch top. Is there a rear cavity for a 9v? Just wondering if the original actives were switched with the current passives.

That guitar has the potential to be a good deal for $200, but we'll need to ID it first.
I just asked him if I could get the serial number and asked about the 9v cavity.
I'm wondering if he's trying to hide something now, it's been overy 24 hours and he won't respond about the serial number. Over the last couple days he would reply within 15 minutes. If he was 2 or 3 hours away I would just go and check it out myself.
Unfortunately that is a ways away. I'm from the lima area of ohio. I check cl everyday. I'm just waiting for something to pop up lol m.
Although that dinky may be worth the 3 hour drive. I have family in that area and could maybe make a weekend of it.
Hey, Stedke, I'm outta' here. If you want to continue this on the JCF I'll be happy to help. This forum is full of childish idiots and I'm too old to deal with it.
Page 1 of 2