Hey what's up dudes! So i have been getting into recording a little bit lately and had a few questions regarding bass. I recently borrowed a mxr bass di/distortion pedal and got some pretty good tones out of it. I usually record a clean straight di and blend it with a distorted one in cubase. Anyways There are 3 outputs,1 just says output, one is direct output, and one says parallel, Is the parallel output the direct DI? If i wanted to record 2 tracks would I go out of that one and the main output for gritty tone? Or would it be smarter to record just to one track and use the blend option on the actual pedal? It seems the parallel output is the only one that stays clean when pedal is on. Sorry if this is confusing or super beginner question maybe you can help me out or tell me how you record bass to get some nice rock/metal tones. I really like the mxr one but thinking about going for the sansamp driver di pedal or ampeg one thanks guys!!!
First, I'll assume that you are talking about the MXR M-80 D.I.+. The DI output is the XLR (3 pin mic) output, the parallel is to plug in a tuner or a seperate chain of effects to run in paralell, or a 2nd amp to run a clean/dirty mix.

For my personal preference, I usually DI bass into some tube or Neve style preamp to give it a bit of punch. Next, I personally duplicate the track and do the following:

1st channel - Clean sound: Run a bass amp sim that has a bit of dirt to it (really digging in or slap-style gets a bit of grit onto it) and scoop out the mids around 400Hz). I like to run this with a typical Ampeg fridge cab sim (8x10, 414 or LDC mic right on the cone), then throw a compressor on it. Give it a moderate attack and release and brickwall it (basically a slower acting limiter so the sound never goes above the threshold)

2nd channel - Dirty sound: Run the DI bass signal through a Rectifier sim (or another hi-gain modern amp sim) with no bass and 9'oclock treble to fill in the missing mids from the clean signal. I usually use G75s in 4x12 with a 57. From there, compress like the other channel.

Once done I buss these together into a mono buss. Adjust the clean and dirty levels until I get the sound I want, then EQ again to do fine adjustments to overall tonality (Cut below 40Hz, cut above 12kHz, adjust the mids as needed). Throw another limiter on it and brickwall it as well. From here I'll adjust the Clean/Dirt blend as needed. The most common setting I use is a 80/20 mix clean to dirty. I really like transformer based compression on bass (and hate 1176 styles), but any compressor will work.

I'll also do this with real amps in a studio.
Quote by Watterboy
Do you have any dilithium crystals or fresh warm dumps for sale
Last edited by the chemist at Feb 4, 2017,
I do something similar to the chemist , it really depends on the track. In your case if the MXR DI has a clean then record both. If not record clean DI into your DAW and reamp it with the MXR.

I record bass with a DI, one end goes clean into my preamp set on light compression 2:1 on slow attack and quick release, then some preamp eq for a little air and slap in the high range, maybe mild cut in mids, then to DAW. I use a plugin I have on my Boss Dr. Rhythm 880 drum machine's guitar processor which is where the second signal goes and I track distorted bass through that. It says distorted bass and it really brings out a lot of the picking dynamics, etc. I then highpass that signal at about 200-250k, so that way the lows are not muddied.

Sometimes I add a 3rd or 4th part with different vst plugins, depending on what I feel like having.

Then I run the whole thing to a bass master bus, using tape emulation and/or D16 Frontier analog limiter plugin.