So, the title may be a bit confusing, so I should clarify.

A buddy of mine and I want to start writing music. As a guitarist, I'd say I'm pretty well off, I can't do anything Yngwie yet, but I'm striving for that goal. Basically, the songs were writing I hear in my head having some speedy solos. I might be able to accomplish the fast sound with some tapping and legato, but alternate picking has always been my Achilles heal. It's not NEARLY as bad as it was before, and now (after coming off a hiatus thanks to medical issues) I'm trying to finally fix it.

How would you go about writing songs that you want to have fast solos, but can quite do it yet? Would you find different means to accomplish a different goal? Or wait on writing music?

I hope this isn't too confusing. Thanks for any input you may have!
It'd be good to have any idea of roughly how far off you are right now. You could be anywhere between a few months of routine practice to polish off your already refined skills, or you could be over 10 years away..

If you're that keen on creating an Yngwie-esque band you better find like minded musicians, because a lot of musicians don't want to be the background musicians of a guitar wank fest and live in the shadow of your supposed glory.

As for writing solos you can't play though, you're best off writing those solos in your head. It might sound ridiculous, but sing the solos with your mouth and then record yourself mimicking said solo with your mouth. Once you've done that then slow down the solo and tab it in Guitar Pro. Once it's tabbed in Guitar Pro then you can set it to whatever speed you want and hear how it will roughly sound without having to play a single note yourself.

Honestly though, no one can know what's the best move for you except yourself. It's also especially hard to make an educated objective opinion without knowing your abilities as a guitarist. Most guitarists are a lot further off that virtuoso style solo artist genre than they may like to think. Not to mention it's going to probably be the single hardest genre to find yourself a complete band for. Chances are if you do delve in to such endeavours then it will be a solo project that will likely never be performed to an audience. All solo musicians in the last decade or so have essentially started out writing and producing their own music all by themselves at home with protools etc and have dedicated years and years to their projects. I'd like to hear some more about yourself though before I developer a somewhat educated opinion.

EDIT: Reading through your post again i suppose you didn't specify that you wanted to be the next Yngwie. That poses the question again of needing to hear more about yourself. What kind of genre/bands are you aspiring to be. Are you going for a more progressive Dream Theater route with the sort of peak of technicality, composition and musicianship? Are you going for the Avenged Sevenfold route with your generic sort of metal roots and songwriting but very guitar driven and specifically very driven by the lead guitarist. Are you going for the Animals as Leaders pure wankfest (excuse my bias I just can't stand that music)? We definitely need to hear more about yourself.
Last edited by vayne92 at Feb 4, 2017,
McZaxon
Quote by McZaxon
So, the title may be a bit confusing, so I should clarify.

A buddy of mine and I want to start writing music. As a guitarist, I'd say I'm pretty well off, I can't do anything Yngwie yet, but I'm striving for that goal. Basically, the songs were writing I hear in my head having some speedy solos. I might be able to accomplish the fast sound with some tapping and legato, but alternate picking has always been my Achilles heal. It's not NEARLY as bad as it was before, and now (after coming off a hiatus thanks to medical issues) I'm trying to finally fix it.

How would you go about writing songs that you want to have fast solos, but can quite do it yet? Would you find different means to accomplish a different goal? Or wait on writing music?

I hope this isn't too confusing. Thanks for any input you may have!

Don't wait!!!!!!! Never wait - writing/composing music is a skill in of itself, much like developing good technique. You need to practice writing just like anything else - so spend time doing it and don't put it off - you only get better with experience. Put another way, if you wait a year before you start writing music you're a year behind.

Legato is not cheating, so just use it for now and when your picking gets fast enough feel free to be more staccato if the song calls for it.

If you want to have seemingly fast alternate picking lines but can't that fast yet, just write a slower tempo song and you're picking lines will appear faster than they are.
As Vayne said, sing the solo you have in mind, and record it. Then you can figure out how to play it on guitar and slowly build up the speed required. Or if you're practicing for weeks and you still can't get to where you want it, at least you'll have a record of it from your singing. You could leave it for a bit later down the line after you've honed your skills a bit more.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
vayne92

It's more along the lines of a Nuno-y, Tremonti type shredding. Fast, but effective! Less like the Yngwie thing haha. I just used him as a reference because when people think of shred, that's usually who they picture in their mind lol.

I never want to be a one man guitar wanker like Tosin or Yngwie, that's just too boring (I don't really like that type of music either lol) But I really like your suggestion about singing it and then figuring it out by ear at a slower tempo...I'll have to try that and use it as a form of practice.

My goal is to be a part of a band that each know what they want and are able to succeed at producing their product. That's the gist of it basically.
reverb66

Very true! I don't plan on it haha. I've put it off for too long, and I finally want to get started! I'll be using the legato-y type soloing until I can achieve my alternate picking goals!