I am a rock/blues player and never liked noise gates/suppressors as I found they degrade my tone. But now I am going to be playing an old project where I used to play a distorted Marshall and I am willing to sacrifice a bit of tone to control the noise. I tried the Boss NS-2. Even though there is a significant tone degradation, I liked it. The ISP Decimator seems to be highly reviewed but I would have to buy this one blind as no local dealer stocks these. I tried both MXR Smart Gate and Noise Clamp but did not like either. Which pedal would you suggest?
I have an ISP Decimator and I can't notice it when it's turned off or when the gate opens - no tone suck.

Just set your threshold low if you want to kill background noise. High threshold does great for start stop riffs.

I'd also look at the TC Electronic Sentry. I haven't used it but I have a bunch of their stuff and it's all solid.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
I personally use the Noise Clamp. It's great being able to trigger on a clean signal.
www.facebook.com/yourbadinfluence
Quote by 8Len8
I personally use the Noise Clamp. It's great being able to trigger on a clean signal.

I tried it at the local store, they actually got it in stock as I asked for it from online reviews. But I noticed it was either not closing or not opening. I would like something that is more accurate on closing and opening, while I would not mind a bit of tone degradation.
Quote by Gab_Azz
I tried it at the local store, they actually got it in stock as I asked for it from online reviews. But I noticed it was either not closing or not opening. I would like something that is more accurate on closing and opening, while I would not mind a bit of tone degradation.
FYI, there is a single resistor mod you can make to it to get a better threshold range out of it, if you're handy with a soldering iron.
www.facebook.com/yourbadinfluence
Quote by 8Len8
FYI, there is a single resistor mod you can make to it to get a better threshold range out of it, if you're handy with a soldering iron.

Yeah I am a technician, sure I can solder, but if I am buying new I would like the pedal to do its job right out of the box - that is what I am paying for.
I'm running an ISP decimator II and like metalmingee said, there's no tone suck, until you get to really high thresholds. Im in a djent/hardcore band right now and was wondering what else should I add to the ISP to really get that percussive sounding attack when chugging on breakdowns
NS-2 with the right settings doesn't suck tone noticebly, it's definitely a bit of a tone vampire but you can fudge it to avoid that pretty well. Main reason I bought an NS-2 is that it was the only available noise gate I could test/buy at a store, I just run it through the effects loop and don't bother with the front gate. It has the inputs to allow you to gate the guitar and the loop at the same time, but then we're in tone suck territory. Just in the loop though it's great.

It's not a very hard gate like you have with digital gates, and for that reason I much prefer it to those, it's less heavy handed when it comes to raping your dynamics.
Cornford Hellcat
Peavey 5150
1994 Ibanez Jem 7V
NS-2 tends to take something away from the tone by just being in the chain, I've had it at the studio for quite some time and in comparison with other pedals it was coloring the tone a bit. It is something I notice in Boss pedals, my DD-3 has that same impact on the overall tone.

I like the MXR Smart Gate and that would be my 1st preference. Gab_Azz are you sure you set it up properly? It has quite a few features and it could be a little daunting to fine tune it. I find it works best right after the guitar. The Hi trigger is usually off and I am at full range at about 10 o'clock for the most part. On soapbar pickup-equipped guitars I filter only the high hiss range and that works good there.

I think you need to decide exactly what type of noise gate you need. The Rocktron Hush for example works great for reducing hiss in high gain situations if it is in the fx loop but I haven't found that it helps anywhere else.

There are other factors as well - how far you stand away from the amp is also very important. I usually set mine up so if I get close I can generate feedback so it is a bit of a fine dance

nikomaheras

Can you demo the TC Electronic Sentry? If I had to buy another gate I'd look there first, then at the ISP G-String II.
Guitars:
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
metalmingee I don't think so. I believe the agent let them off due to relatability issues.

Bigbazz I believe I used the loop when I demo the pedal. NS-2

diabolical I do not recall how it was set, but I tend to try every combination of settings possible before giving up. MXR Smart Gate
metalmingee I don't think so. I believe the agent let them off due to relatability issues.

You lost me man. . .
Guitars:
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
Last edited by metalmingee at Mar 1, 2017,
Quote by Gab_Azz
metalmingee I don't think so. I believe the agent let them off due to relatability issues.[\QUOTE=Gab_Azz]

You lost me man. . .
TC Electronic, the local agent is not importing them anymore due to relatability issues.
Ignore double post
Guitars:
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
Last edited by metalmingee at Mar 1, 2017,