I currently have this one mic in my artillery, though I plan to change that. But for now this is the mic I have to record everything (vocals, guitar, and even drums) has anyone on here had experience recording cabs with this mic? Im new to recording, and I'd appreciate any tips/techniques you all could share with me.
I plan on buying a couple sm57s in the near future so this is only temporary, just looking to get the most out of the 55sh.
Pink squier bullet strat (tonerider classic blues pickups and warmoth neck)
Vox V847 wah
DigiTech Bad Monkey
Way Huge Swollen Pickle
Boss Ce-5
Kustom dual 35 dfx
https://www.shure.co.uk/products/microphones/55sh

The 55sh is a cardoid mic intended for vocals so:
1. the frequency response will need to be re-adjusted in your DAW - get rid of the lump at 6.5Khz - see the response graph
2. don't put it too close or have your amp too loud as this may cause distortion - although they don't say what the max dB is
3. try pointing it a different parts of the speaker - like you would do with any mic - to get the sound you most like
4. it should work OK
PSimonR
How far from the amp do you think would be good? I generally keep my amp pretty loud, and I was thinking maybe using the mic as a room mic type of thing would maybe work. I've always been keeping it really close and that might be the issue. Thanks for the reply!
Pink squier bullet strat (tonerider classic blues pickups and warmoth neck)
Vox V847 wah
DigiTech Bad Monkey
Way Huge Swollen Pickle
Boss Ce-5
Kustom dual 35 dfx
Try it at 6 inches or 1 foot, rather than nearly touching which is where a SM57 would be positioned. In front of the centre of the speaker will give more treble, in front of the edges will give more bass.
The normal way to decide position is to play the guitar and move the mic about while listenning to it with tight, full coverage, headphones. Difficult to do on your own!
Last edited by PSimonR at Feb 4, 2017,