Kurt Cobain used this combination on Nevermind. It works really well. The DS-1 does not sound too good on my Marshall and Vox, though. Have any of you had success with the DS-1 on other amps?
sounds pretty good on my genz benz black pearl

i find it sounds pretty good on a middier amp that's set a bit crunchy
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc

Same here - so actually, for me, I like them better with marshall and vox type amps! I find that with cleaner, less compressed amps with more of a mid-scooped voicing (like blackface fenders) they tend to sound a bit too hollow and raspy for my tastes but some people want that kind of sound, it has its uses. I currently use a DS-2, rather than a DS-1, except I don't really use the turbo mode because it adds in this kind of "cocked wah" filtered sound that I don't have much use for... I'm probably going to get a bunch of DS-1s as spares/for modding/etc. at some point. I really do like them a lot, despite what everyone else seems to think of them. when dialed in right, the tone they produce is sort of like a fuzz only more tight and defined.

I think they are pretty misunderstood really - they do apply some pretty extreme filtering to your base tone which I guess some people don't like, but they do it in a way that is particularly conducive to giving the distorted tone some great presence in a band mix. Unless you have the gain high enough to lose the clarity of the transients, or are running too much of a mid-scooped sound to really get the most out of it.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
^ yeah my genz benz is kind of voxy, that's what i was thinking too, blackface fendery amps wouldn't really be my pick for a ds1 either.

i like it for a sort of distorted but still pretty clean-sounding distortion, where you can still hear every note in the chord. it's not my favourite pedal ever, but i agree with you, it has its uses. I've never really come across another pedal that really does that distorted-yet-clean thing quite the same.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc

I didn't much care for the DS-1 with my AC30.
Stock or modded.
But I also ran my amp pristine clean.
Quote by CodeMonk
I didn't much care for the DS-1 with my AC30.
Stock or modded.
But I also ran my amp pristine clean.

If you were using the top boost channel on a pristine clean setting, that's pretty much asking for shrill, fizzy tones with almost any dirt pedal

The tone from a pristine clean normal channel should be a bit easier to stomach - but AC30s do sound a bit fizzy and buzzy with most distortion pedals if they are running totally clean or at very low volumes (which are one and the same thing on older AC30s!), you really have to run them loud enough to let the natural compression and saturation from the power amp kick in to get the most out of them with dirt pedals, really. While that certainly is "loud", it's not unreasonable gigging volumes.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
yeah my black pearl has a master volume so you can run it crunchy even at low volumes. and also the red fang speakers are on the darker side of things, i haven't tried them head to head but i think from what i've heard they're likely a bit darker than celestion blues.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
used to run one into my Legend Rock and Roll 50 2x12 (amp used by ZZ Top on Elimanator ) worked fairly decent with that amp. not the best pedal if you want more modern distortion sounds but works pretty well for classic rock/metal. agree that it doesn't sound good with some amps. Gary Moore used one as a boost into his Marshalls back in the early 80s with fantastic results.