I was playing my guitar today and the strap is pretty old and it just gave way and dropped my guitar on the floor and the neck and head broke off.

The guitar itself as well is kind of old now, and I've been meaning to get a new one and I was wondering if anybody could give me any recommendations?

I have some guitars in mind, but in particular I feel a little stuck on what kind of price range to stick to. I am not looking for the highest kind of quality guitar right now, and I was wondering if say getting an ESP guitar would make much of a difference next to something like say, a telecaster standard? (MIM)

One is in the 300$ range whilst the other is like up to 700$ and I was wondering if the quality is really that much of a difference and if it just comes down name brand appeal if anything as well? I know it wouldn't be that hard to fix it but I want to take this opportunity to get a new guitar all together and I'll just fix the one later.

There's also no guitar shops near where I live so I can't easily go and try ones at stores either lol.
Last edited by tear2slitwrists at Feb 4, 2017,
Quote by dspellman
Neeeed. More. Information.Spock.

My amp is not really the greatest and I plan to upgrade it fairly soon and then I'll probably save up for a better guitar afterwards, or at least I would plan to unless I am really satisfied with the guitar I purchase now. I am not a beginner and I am somewhat competent on the guitar but I like to play a wide range of styles so I more then anything would just want something really versatile and not just a metal/shredder kind of guitar; which is why of course I settled (in my mind) on a telecaster, but that will have to wait until later on...

Until then I don't really know. I tend to like "alternative" kind of music and just all around "rock" "hard rock" types of styles but I really again I like a bit of everything. I've also recently been getting into classical and trying to get better at playing more lead type bluesy, R&B stuff though it's not a huge focus for me : D

My budget, that's not entirely decided. I am willing to possibly go up to 800$ a bit but that's only if I feel like lower costing guitars cannot hold up to that value and it's actually more worth it to spend.

oh and I even like reggae a bit, I like Bedouin Soundclash off the top of my head and one of my fav bands is The Clash (they do some reggae stuff)

I guess my favorite band has always been Muse and I like Deftones a lot as well and The Smith's, The Cure, Greenday, Stooges, St Vincent, Radiohead, Jimi Hendrix etc.
Would something like this be good?

https://www.long-mcquade.com/59779/Guitars/Electric/Danelectro/56_Baritone_Single_Cutaway_Electric_Guitar_with_Dolphin_Headstock_-_Black.htm

Ew, I just tested it and it sounds way too twangy...

Does anyone have any good advice on getting used? most likely from Ebay? I was thinking of plundering that site for used guitars but I've always felt like it wasn't really worth it plus I just a guitar that's ready to play.
https://www.long-mcquade.com/15751/Guitars/Electric-Guitars/Fender-Musical-Instruments/Modern-Player-Tele-Plus---Charcoal-Transparent.htm
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/2014-Fender-Standard-Telecaster-/322409977705?hash=item4b1121d769:g:YlUAAOSwCGVX2Xjr

??????

I almost think that's the best for me because I wouldn't have to upgrade my guitar for a while and I would be pretty content with it and also I tend to like Fender/Gibson the most I guess...
Quote by tear2slitwrists
I was playing my guitar today and the strap is pretty old and it just gave way and dropped my guitar on the floor and the neck and head broke off.

So fix it then. It is wood. All wood can be mended.
Quote by PSimonR
So fix it then. It is wood. All wood can be mended.

I will but I wanted to use this as an excuse to purchase a new guitar and as well I have a feeling that would take forever (would it?) I just don't want to waste all the time right now, I had some things plan and stuff where I sort of needed an electric guitar in usable form and it feels terrible to have either a big crack in the neck or have to order a whatzoo of random parts from god knows where (China? Korea?) and throw a punch of hammer and nails at things when I am not even really very experienced or knowledgeable in fixing things.

Also my guitar is getting pretty old too which is just another reason...

Plus, does it sound very good? I was just wondering about that..does a huge crack in the neck effect sound? I was kind of thinking, do MIM's and epiphones generally sound better then other budget guitars like ESP's and Ibanez's? (besides Squires) some of their lower end guitars I think have more sustain and better 'tonal' qualities like "soul" and stuff? plus I think they feel a bit better in your hands and stuff. I guess because I am Canadian, if I want the same 500 dollar guitar, I'm going to have to pay a higher price if I expect to have that 'quality' because of the conversion rate and taxes here, lol.
1) I've gotten good deals on used guitars from eBay, Guitar Center, and especially Reverb. There are other sites I shop, but those 3 got the bulk of my used guitar $$$.

2) there's no hard & fast rule on which brands of budget guitars are best at a given price level. Some brands are crappy at a given price (almost all new Deans under $500), while others have one or 2 models that offer great value for their price (Yamaha Pacificas, G&L Tributes).
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by dannyalcatraz
1) I've gotten good deals on used guitars from eBay, Guitar Center, and especially Reverb. There are other sites I shop, but those 3 got the bulk of my used guitar $$$.

2) there's no hard & fast rule on which brands of budget guitars are best at a given price level. Some brands are crappy at a given price (almost all new Deans under $500), while others have one or 2 models that offer great value for their price (Yamaha Pacificas, G&L Tributes).

How do you know if a seller is very trustworthy though? that's always one thing I've felt very hesitant about though...

I found a really good deal on the guitar I was looking for but I am terrified of buying it, lol. (on reverb)
Quote by tear2slitwrists
How do you know if a seller is very trustworthy though? that's always one thing I've felt very hesitant about though...

I found a really good deal on the guitar I was looking for but I am terrified of buying it, lol. (on reverb)

I've only had good experiences with buying used.

Getting a bad guitar from an untrustworthy seller is always a calculated risk. But you can usually tell how trustworthy they are by the way the listing is presented. If they put little effort into decent quality photographs and don't mention a thing about any flaws the guitar likely has as a used instrument, I'd probably walk away.

The seller's feedback rating is a pretty good giveaway as well.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Also, some eBay & Reverb sellers are actually also brick & mortars retailers, and have meaningful return policies.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

You can find real gems on used sites (CL, Kijiji, etc). I picked up a partscaster for $300. Road worn body, squier indonesian neck (feels great in my hands), plus fender locking tuners, a seymour duncan hot rails in the bridge, split rails in the mid position and a YJM fury in the neck position. He even threw in the extra pups for free (YJM fury bridge, Seymour Duncan vintage series single coil and a stock squier neck pup... they're going in the Peavey Predator with the tasty neck I got on there for $50), plus an upgraded bridge with graph tech saddles.
I also picked up an Epiphone dot 335, professionally set up and plays great for $200.
Not to mention the other stuff I've bought on there without hassle and for a great price.
You're going to get some flaky people, tire-kickers, and weirdos (especially if you post a deep fryer for free, but that's another story), but overall, it's a great experience, and the buy/sell gear section is a great way to meet other musicians and build your social network. I've jammed and started bands with people I've met through buying/selling gear.
Last edited by spacepizza125 at Feb 6, 2017,
Quote by spacepizza125

I also picked up an Epiphone dot 335, professionally set up and plays great for $200.

That's a hell of a bargain, nice find. May I also suggest a MIM strat/tele? Or even a Squier?
Some see the glass half full, others see the glass half empty. Me? I see that the glass is refillable.
NewDayHappy

Are you talking to me? yeah I feel pretty set on a MIM tele, I am not really into strats. I really like the way they sound but honestly I just feel it's too limited whilst I can everything on a tele. I listened to a bunch of budget priced Yamaha, LTD's and stuff but they don't sound quite as good to me TBH...

Squire...I heard some of them can be good, but they still sound the same as most other budget guitars I think. I don't know what the correct term is but I'm just going to say "soul" I feel like they don't have as good sustain and meat to their tone and everything. It would sort of irk me too much at this point I think...

I don't like the way they feel in my hands either, too shoddy or something and glossy feeling? like, it's not a real guitar kind of thing...
Last edited by tear2slitwrists at Feb 6, 2017,
You being Canadian and all I'm surprised you haven't heard of Godin, as they are a Canadian company and all, Although the solid body Session you might be interested in would be assembled in Berlin NH. USA, How's that for outsourcing? In any case a used one if you can find one should be within your price range, A little over if new, I have an XTSA which looks a bit tele-ish, and I can vouch for its build quality, playability, feel and soul, But sounding like anything I want is a non issue as it has 13 pin guitar synth access also , sweet guitar just a bit on the heavy side so not something you'd want to do a marathon gig with at my age. or at least not standing,
Last edited by nastytroll at Feb 6, 2017,
For an affordable Tele style guitar, Fender is the obvious first choice, but G&L Tributes, certain Godins, and Reverend's Eastsiders are also good options.

If you're the handy sort, Carvin/Keisel have a highly-regarded T-Style kit that is in your price range.