Tried searching this extensively with little joy.
The band I run a desk for want me to come up with a solution whereby set lists are managed by the sound desk & projected onto ipads on the stage at various vantage points.
Frankly I'm an IT knuckle head & not having a lot of success just yet.
I've looked at a few apps but so far I find they do so many things I can't just drill down on the bits I want.

Any suggestions/ ideas gratefully accepted
Cheers
Pastafarian96
They make changes on the fly plus all being 50plus the eyeballs struggle reading typed setlists taped on everywhere but there forehead
Quote by Wodnee
Pastafarian96
They make changes on the fly plus all being 50plus the eyeballs struggle reading typed setlists taped on everywhere but there forehead
I don't see how an iPad at the same vantage point as a piece of paper will be easier to read...Unless it's the backlit feature of the iPad that appeals?
Also you'd need to make sure the iPads are always unlocked and the screen never turns off otherwise they will have to constantly unlock them. That would mean they'd also have to be permanently on charge to ensure they last through the set.

You could use Skype? Add all iPads into a group chat. Send a new message containing the whole set list when it changes, or even to flag up the next song. The biggest challenge would be ensuring the font size is large enough.

What would be ideal is a projector linked up to a laptop via a long HDMI cable, then you could literally project the set list onto a flat surface, make the text as big as possible and then make real time changes (ie in Word) . Although I don't know where you would have a flat surface to project onto that they could all see...
Quote by Renka
OddOneOut is an Essex S&M mistress and not a pirate or a computer program.

You could get an actual projector and point it at the floor of the stage maybe
Quote by Mr E Meat
this is your brain

this is your brain on RT

Quote by Standard_A440
Given that you reside in the shade of the natural light of reason, I will defer doing your homework to you.
OddOneOut
Thanks for the suggestions, it certainly opens up another option/ path to wander down.
We have 3 ipads mounted on stands already which have been used manually just for lyrics on new songs. Given that they're already there we're trying to utilise them further. Power isn't an issue, so they won't run flat.
Thanks for the valuable input, never would've given skype a second thought!
Are the ipads networked together? Like on the same wifi network, do they have a wifi connection at all?
Or do you just pre-load the lyrics and the bandmembers swipe through them?

http://www.airsquirrels.com/reflector/mirror-multiple-devices/
This seems like it might do what you want, if they're networked that is.
Quote by Mr E Meat
this is your brain

this is your brain on RT

Quote by Standard_A440
Given that you reside in the shade of the natural light of reason, I will defer doing your homework to you.
Last edited by Gatecrasher53 at Feb 4, 2017,
How would you manage making the changes on the fly though? If the band spontaneously changes what songs they want to play, how will you know at the sound desk which stuff to display?
Come back if you want to
And remember who you are
‘Cause there's nothing here for you my dear
And everything must pass
I'd personally tell the band to fuck themselves and stop being babies about such an insignificant detail and instead focus more on making the music sound good.

But that's just me.
Imagine having iPads to do what a piece of paper does just fine.
Free Ali
Last edited by chrismendiola at Feb 4, 2017,
Quote by chrismendiola
Imagine having iPads to do what a piece of paper just fine.

Personally, I'm in the process of trying to digitise my sheet music collection and also my collection of tabs so I can use it as an electronic songbook while offline. But using my tablet for a setlist seems like a dumb idea with too many logistic difficulties tbh
Come back if you want to
And remember who you are
And everything must pass
Quote by i_lovemetallica
Personally, I'm in the process of trying to digitise my sheet music collection and also my collection of tabs so I can use it as an electronic songbook while offline. But using my tablet for a setlist seems like a dumb idea with too many logistic difficulties tbh

That's a collection, though.

Not a single-page list.

If they make changes on the fly, can't the change-maker just tell the members who start the song? Like if one dude played the intro they'd catch on. Unless they're already going senile at 50.
Quote by Spinnerweb
That's a collection, though.

Not a single-page list.

If they make changes on the fly, can't the change-maker just tell the members who start the song? Like if one dude played the intro they'd catch on. Unless they're already going senile at 50.

That was my point, it seems weird having the desk operator act as a middleman if the band just changes their sets all the time.

I mean, why even bother writing a setlist down if they're gonna change, surely the band leader/whoever can just be like "hey guys, lets play xxxx next"
Come back if you want to
And remember who you are
And everything must pass
Really appreciate the inputs guys.
Gatecrasher53's suggestion of the reflector product could be a winner.
Most of our venues have wi-fi.
We have a couple of band members who have physical disabilities that affect them from time to time (i.e. one has Parkinson's Disease, his left hand sometimes refused to co-operate) so they will change it up on the fly sometimes to compensate. It helps to be able to then keep an eye on the time by recalculating the set, hence the need to change during a set.
Also some of the venues we play are difficult to navigate between the desk & the stage so to be able to pop up a message on the screen would be helpful instead of pushing through a crowd to get a message delivered.
Thanks again to all.
but have you tried telepathy?

Quote by Pastafarian96
I an evety characyer in this story
Quote by OddOneOut
You could use Skype? Add all iPads into a group chat. Send a new message containing the whole set list when it changes, or even to flag up the next song. The biggest challenge would be ensuring the font size is large enough.

I don't know much about iPads, but do they support screen sharing in Skype calls?
If so, just have the sound desk share their screen of an opened document containing the setlist and have all the other iPads show the shared screen on full size.
Why not just use cheap TVs or monitors and connect them to a laptop with HDMI cables. You could just run it as a powerpoint or something? I honestly don't think the iPads offer a good solution to this particular problem. In an environment with a lot of EM interference the last thing you want to be doing is relying on something that needs a wifi connnection. With a laptop you could conceivably use a Chromecast but again, I personally would want to avoid wireless wherever possible.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Please don't do this because it will take away the magic of getting given a paper setlist at the end of the night for fan memorabilia.

If you're going this route you're also going to have to give techs and stuff iPads too so the on-fly-setlist-changing will be relayed to them too so they will know what guitars and instruments to give to bands
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Please don't do this because it will take away the magic of getting given a paper setlist at the end of the night for fan memorabilia.

I wouldn't mind being given an iPad instead tbh
Quote by Wodnee
Really appreciate the inputs guys.
Gatecrasher53's suggestion of the reflector product could be a winner.

That was just the first thing I found (and I didn't realised it was a paid product) I'd look around a bit more or find someone experienced with apple software who might know of something. If you're cool with paying then go ahead but make sure it works for what you want first. There's a 7 day trial offered on that website so use that first and test it thoroughly.

Quote by steven seagull
Why not just use cheap TVs or monitors and connect them to a laptop with HDMI cables. You could just run it as a powerpoint or something? I honestly don't think the iPads offer a good solution to this particular problem. In an environment with a lot of EM interference the last thing you want to be doing is relying on something that needs a wifi connnection. With a laptop you could conceivably use a Chromecast but again, I personally would want to avoid wireless wherever possible.

This seems like an overkill solution for what they actually want, especially considering they've already sunk the cost for ipads, use what you got basically. Also I'd be more worried about whether the venue HAS wifi or is willing to share it rather than EMI, where are they playing? I dunno but i'm guessing pubs, bars, clubs; places people are already on their phones all the time. I don't think they're up on stage playing stadiums with massive amp stacks and lighting effects.
Quote by Mr E Meat
this is your brain

this is your brain on RT

Quote by Standard_A440
Quote by Wodnee

We have a couple of band members who have physical disabilities that affect them from time to time (i.e. one has Parkinson's Disease, his left hand sometimes refused to co-operate) so they will change it up on the fly sometimes to compensate. It helps to be able to then keep an eye on the time by recalculating the set, hence the need to change during a set.

oh

now I feel like the piece of shit person that deep down I know I really am
Get a Google Docs running that everyone opens on their iPad and that you can edit. Updates immediately while they're looking at it. Way easier than a messaging app like Skype or whatever.
ipads with Onsong app. You can send set lists, updates, lead sheets, new arrangement or key change all pretty easily. Give it a look.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/onsong/id502344938?mt=8
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Last edited by Cajundaddy at Feb 5, 2017,