So, I am pretty sure that I might not be the only one asking this but here we are. I used to own 4 Japanese Jackson models (KV3, RR3, DK2, DX10d) and 3 years ago due to an urgent need of money and a serious arm injury, I made the huge mistake of selling them. I completely stopped playing guitar due to a lot of muscle pains. Anyway to keep it short, I got better and recently I had the great idea to start over but I am on a low budget (300-350 euros) and stubborn enough to want a Jackson again. Back in my country with this amount of money I can get easily a used Japanese model as our market is filled with them but where I am right now, a new guitar seems like the only way to go.

Here lies the question, I know you cant compare Pro Series (Japan) to JS ones, but how is the quality of JS32 series? Pick ups obviously they are gonna be bad but in terms of wood and build, is the difference that huge and noticeable? Are they worth to upgrade with better pick ups later?

Any insight from anyone that used both Japan models and those new ones would be very helpful. Thanks in advance.
Melodic Death Metal FTW!!!!!
Last edited by Deathnick at Feb 4, 2017,
The quality of the JS guitars just isn't great and it never was. They're simply worse in every possible way to the Japanese ones. But for $300 new, what do you expect.
I can get easily a used Japanese model as our market is filled with them but where I am right now, a new guitar seems like the only way to go.

Why?
Are they (JS) worth to upgrade with better pick ups later?

Given that used MIJ Jacksons are so cheap and so good, they make the JS line pretty much irrelevant. So no.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
People who actually get them tend to be surprised how good they are, check out some posts on jcfonline.
T00DEEPBLUE

Well, about the why part... My work brought me to Romania, and believe man, it's like they discovered electric guitars yesterday. Their market when it comes to used ones is almost non existent. The few Jacksons I managed to find are mostly Chinese ones, and among them only 3 MIJ which at the price they are selling is a complete joke.
I'd certainly recommend trying out the 2012-present JS series from China/Indonesia. The 2011 and earlier Indian JS were definitely hit and miss, but the new generation is definitely getting mostly positive reviews on the JCF and the facebook Jackson pages I frequently hang out at.

The specs change from India include:
black hardware from chrome
neck/headstock binding
optional arch top
maple tops

Make sure there's a return policy, expect the guitar to be in need of a setup and good luck.
Quote by dthmtl3
People who actually get them tend to be surprised how good they are, check out some posts on jcfonline.

To be brutally honest, with the MIJ's going so cheap on ebay I've felt no incentive to try out the new JS' guitars. The MIJ's make them redundant.

All I've known is that the ones I did try a few (i think they were 2010's) and they felt cheap. Mostly because they were cheap.

And I don't see much of a reason why after just a few years they'd somehow be a whole lot better despite being made in the same factory and sold at the same prices they were before.
Quote by Deathnick
T00DEEPBLUE

Well, about the why part... My work brought me to Romania, and believe man, it's like they discovered electric guitars yesterday. Their market when it comes to used ones is almost non existent. The few Jacksons I managed to find are mostly Chinese ones, and among them only 3 MIJ which at the price they are selling is a complete joke.
I suppose if you want a Jackson enough and have no other options then sure.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Alright, I went to the JCF forums and I am mind blown by the amount of feedback on those JS32 models. I even saw people with USA models leaving very positive feedback on those. It seems Jackson did indeed put some love on the lower ends as well.
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
To be brutally honest, with the MIJ's going so cheap on ebay I've felt no incentive to try out the new JS' guitars. The MIJ's make them redundant.

All I've known is that the ones I did try a few (i think they were 2010's) and they felt cheap. Mostly because they were cheap.

And I don't see much of a reason why after just a few years they'd somehow be a whole lot better despite being made in the same factory and sold at the same prices they were before.

Sure, if used bolt-on guitars are your thing, then MIJ Jacksons are a good deal, if they're available in your area. But they're not the be all and end all of guitar manufacturing till the end of times.

It should come as no surprise that JS and other guitars for that matter are getting better over the years. It's a result of competition and presumably it should be a goal of companies to create better products over time. Despite what we may think here on forums, it's not all about fancy expensive guitars. The true state of the economy and new releases at NAMM the last couple of years indicate that the entry level segment is significant and highly competitive. It would be foolish for Jackson to keep cranking out guitars that according to you were cheap and felt cheap.
Last edited by dthmtl3 at Feb 5, 2017,
Quote by dthmtl3
Sure, if used bolt-on guitars are your thing, then MIJ Jacksons are a good deal, if they're available in your area. But they're not the be all and end all of guitar manufacturing till the end of times.

I never said they were, but okay.
Quote by dthmtl3
It should come as no surprise that JS and other guitars for that matter are getting better over the years. It's a result of competition and presumably it should be a goal of companies to create better products over time. Despite what we may think here on forums, it's not all about fancy expensive guitars. The true state of the economy and new releases at NAMM the last couple of years indicate that the entry level segment is significant and highly competitive.

The most lucrative guitars a brand makes have always been the <$300 ones, so of course that segment is always going to be highly competitive. That isn't news.

I am skeptical because the materials that go into guitars haven't really gone down in price these last couple of years. Or at least I haven't seen a source which demonstrates that to be true. If you have, I'd like to read it.
Quote by dthmtl3
It would be foolish for Jackson to keep cranking out guitars that according to you were cheap and felt cheap.

Yet many brands in the budget segment do. It's not because they're foolish, it's because making guitars with quality components at such low prices is extremely difficult, if not impossible.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I'm no industry insider either. But there are many ways a company like FMIC can get better prices from suppliers, lower costs overall, or simply get a better product form a different supplier. I take it the move from India to Indonesia and China was something along those lines. But all this is just common sense. The proof is in the pudding and if people who expected junk from an JS after buying one are actually surprised that it's a good product, I have no reason to doubt those claims.
It basically comes down to what I always say...guitars need to be judged individually, there're good and bad examples from all levels.

The Indian JS especially had a reputation for sharp fret ends among other things, but my 2010 Indian JS3 bass is still going strong without issues 6 years after I got it. I honestly can't find a single fault with it.
I have a js-32 7. I typically dislike playing more than six strings, but this is the one 7 string that felt right in my hands. For a 200 us dollar guitar it plays well. Their action seems hit and miss, but a setup can fix that. The pickups are okay. A little muddy and too hot for my taste.

The build quality on mine though is fantastic. The only cheap feeling things are the finish. I have the guitar center exclusive one that's gloss black, but it seems to fair well. And the tuners are a blend of stiff and a little loose feeling when turning, but they hold tuning fine.

None of the hardware has come loose yet like other cheapos I've had.

Overall for the price it's great. No where near a top end mij Jackson, but it holds its own.
Yeah, those stupid plastic nuts are the first thing to go even on the MIJ Jacksons I've bought. But, a new nut allows you to have it cut/slotted exactly as you want it. I like crazy low action.

Only one guitar I've ever owned had a perfectly cut plastic nut...an Ibanez RG420. That thing was amazing right out of the box. It's the only guitar I kinda' wish I didn't sell.
chaosinsues5 one of the js series I tried had such low action that it had severe fret buzz on the open notes!

Though the nut was cut real short... So I hear you there.
Those poorly cut plastic nuts are also the root of many people's tuning issues. To my knowledge, and I may be corrected, but the JS series tuners are the same Jackson logo'd Jin Ho Korean made tuners that came on my MIJ DKMGT. Mine work as well with a bone nut as my USA Jackson logo'd Gotoh tuners work.

To be honest, I don't mind replacing the nut to have one to my liking. If they jacked the price a bit and started using factory bone I'd still probably end up modding it to my taste or replacing it.

I think those 7 stringers are Indo, correct? I'd expect a good build quality since they're made in the same factory as the neck thru Pros.
Quote by chaosinsues5

I think those 7 stringers are Indo, correct? I'd expect a good build quality since they're made in the same factory as the neck thru Pros.

They are Chinese made.
Thanks for the feedback guys. Well, if I had the choice, I would definitely get back my MIJ DX10d (It was the older model made of alder, not the latest basswood ones). Even my "more expensive" RR3 compared to it wouldn't match it when it came to quality. I am skeptical about the Indonesian and Chinese ones, but on this kind of budget I do not have the choice after all. I've been waiting a month now just in case some MIJ pops up, but no luck. The only other brand that I felt okay with was Ibanez but it's been around 8 years since I played with one. I used to have a cheap RG370
I have the black JS32t with white bevels. It sounds and feels average, but i like the way it looks!
although if you get a better quality guitar later, it will probably end up in the closet lol I guess its a good back up guitar.
Where I come from, you don't play no guitar, you don't get no pussy
Like T00DEEPBLUE mentioned earlier, the MIJ Jacksons go for incredibly low prices (at least here in the US), so there's not really any point in getting any of the JS series instruments.

In my experience, I've found the MIJs to be more consistent instruments. The Chinese made JS series can be a real hit or miss. I've played a few that only needed some minor set-up. Meanwhile, others I've owned and played needed better cut nuts, rounded off frets, and had sloppy finishes. Personally, I wouldn't purchase a JS series sight unseen unless it was on sale for a really low price and the retailer has a decent return policy. If you can find a specific MIJ that you want in good condition, it's a better choice than the JS series.
My crap:

Guitars
Jackson RR3T Limited Edition with Seymour Duncan Blackouts (MIJ)
Jackson JS1-X Rhoads
Jackson PDXT with Seymour Duncan Black Winters
Dean Vendetta XM

Amps
Peavey 6505 MH
Carvin 1X12 Cab

Pedals
Boss TU-3 Tuner
Boss NS-2 Noise Gate
Boss DD-7 Delay
An example of some USA craigslist deals I've recently seen are: DK2 Japan/2003-5 Orange Blue Flame $200, DKMGT Japan/'06-'11 EMG 81/85 $100 , RR3 Japan/2006-11 Seymour Duncans $275 with Jackson molded case.

I'm in Canada where the market isn't quite as good, but I often check the US used market just for the 'awe' factor. Oftentimes, craigslist sellers won't ship, but some will.
Well, Im in Europe and right now my work got me in Romania, where a MIJ Jackson costs around 500 euros. Obviously if I had here the same prices as US or France (where I am originally from) I wouldn't even think about the Chinese ones. Actually I plan tomorrow to check some stores and find a JS32 just to try it out and make an opinion.
Yeah, I hear it's a lot different in Europe, or anywhere for that matter than it is in the North American used guitar market.

It was kinda' rude to rub those low prices in your face, sorry.
Quote by Deathnick
Actually I plan tomorrow to check some stores and find a JS32 just to try it out and make an opinion.

This is the best way!!
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
Well well well... Just found a DXMG from 2005 (pre-2006 were great, they were made of alder and not basswood) for 290 Euros. Im on my way there to check it out
Quote by Deathnick
Well well well... Just found a DXMG from 2005 (pre-2006 were great, they were made of alder and not basswood) for 290 Euros. Im on my way there to check it out

So how was it?
Im on my way back, will post pictures when I get home :P Obviously I bought it but it has a bit of used frets, might need to change them in the near future. Other than that it was fine considering the age
Quote by Deathnick
Im on my way back, will post pictures when I get home :P Obviously I bought it but it has a bit of used frets, might need to change them in the near future. Other than that it was fine considering the age

Cool bro it worked out for ya, ill be home today n ill see if you get those pics up. I do ask for some Melodic Death Metal riffs hahhah, or just some down picking in da style of Death.. It does not hurt to ask right??
1mtx1 Unfortunately the guy removed the EMG ones and put some Ibanez Infinity on it, but I don't really care, I have a set of Seymour Duncan Distortions at my hometown. I will ask my sister to send me those :P. Also, no amp or sound card here at the moment :/ Gonna search for a focusrite tomorrow or something similar. I will need new strings, a small service/ set up and it will be great

Sweet dude. Enjoy it.
Quote by Deathnick
Unfortunately the guy removed the EMG ones and put some Ibanez Infinity on it

I think these guitars came with EMG HZ's stock if I'm not mistaken. In which case, not much of a loss.

It seems like you've already solved the problem back at your hometown anyway.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
T00DEEPBLUE

Indeed. On my previous DX I had a combo of EMG 81/81 and it sounded great with them. But to be honest never tried the HZ ones.
First thank you for posting the pics. I think you got a nice player!! Now on to the HZ's i have used a few sets before, there not bad but imo when i went and spent 500 or so maybe more on a jackson i just felt there was a little let down. The guitar felt great played great but just to much mud even in E ya know. I even had a few JS series that had the Jackson CVR's an i felt they where imo now hotter BUT... when i tuned to lets say E maybe Eb i could get that 80's metal tone i wanted.

This is just me being me lol, i like fixed bridges. I tune to Drop c, i just put a set of 12-54 on my Dean a hour ago an set it up for drop C. With that being said what gauge strings are you going to put on an what tuning if you mind me asking??
1mtx1 On my previous DX10d (pretty much the same guitar) I had it tuned D# with 10-52 DR Dimebag and it sounded great with both stock (Duncan Designed HB103) and later on EMG 81. On this one though I haven't made up my mind yet, I used to play a lot on standard D (with 11s strings) and thats why I ended up back then with 3 guitars (RR3 for D, KV3 for E, DX for D#). Most likely I will tune it at standard D, and with a capo you can easily play E or D# songs on it (24 frets FTW :P ) and will try to get a Tremol-No at some point. Thing is I love floyds and I am so used to them, that I can;t play for shit on tune o matic bridges
Quote by Deathnick
1mtx1 On my previous DX10d (pretty much the same guitar) I had it tuned D# with 10-52 DR Dimebag and it sounded great with both stock (Duncan Designed HB103) and later on EMG 81. On this one though I haven't made up my mind yet, I used to play a lot on standard D (with 11s strings) and thats why I ended up back then with 3 guitars (RR3 for D, KV3 for E, DX for D#). Most likely I will tune it at standard D, and with a capo you can easily play E or D# songs on it (24 frets FTW :P ) and will try to get a Tremol-No at some point. Thing is I love floyds and I am so used to them, that I can;t play for shit on tune o matic bridges

I have to have a fixed bridge, ive had a few floyds but it was not for me. I like 2 drop my tuning to drop c i just have had better luck with what i use .. I all way's wanted to try the Dime strings but never got around to them. Anyways back on topic this is about you an ya new guitar, i am very happy for you. I love Jackson guitars an i am very new to this site an i picked out ya thread to check out. Please keep me an everyone updated as you progress with this guitar.

Id love to see what you do with her, one last thing you gonna do anything with the finish ?