Hey, I'm looking for advice on an issue I've had since I started playing the guitar. I have ridiculously dry soft fingers with basically no discernible texture to them, they feel like a piece of paper, this has made it pretty much impossible to hold onto a conventional pick.

I'm a fairly advanced player, can run through scales at 200bpm 16th notes without much difficulty if I could hold onto a pick. For the longest time I've been using dava rubberized jazz IIIs, which are good enough to play through most pieces, however they still slip after extended periods of picking quickly.

I got some gorilla snot and used it on some standard jazz IIIs and red bear picks and it completely changes my playing being able to actually hold onto them, problem is it's very difficult to adjust the pick at all and it makes a mess of everything you touch.

I've tried hole punches, velcro, scuffing up picks, none of which really worked.

Anybody else suffer from this issue and have some genius creative solution they've come up with? I can make due with gorilla snot but I'd much rather find a less messy solution. Thanks in advance.
I've tried those as well, forgot to mention it. Was super excited about them when they were announced but ended up not liking them at all. Didn't fit my thumb well and it really detracts from the feel of playing.

I'm not really expecting a solution for this further than what I've found, but I figured it won't hurt to see if anyone has something I haven't tried yet.

Thanks again.
Quote by Majicmanmaj
How do you hold your pick?

Standard forward slant between thumb and side of first finger. I've found holding it closer to the joint in the thumb helps a bit. My thumb stays in a completely neutral position, I get my angles from wrist positioning. Maybe I should try just picking with my teeth instead.
Last edited by JemmyPaeg at Feb 5, 2017,
Quote by JemmyPaeg
I've tried those as well, forgot to mention it. Was super excited about them when they were announced but ended up not liking them at all. Didn't fit my thumb well and it really detracts from the feel of playing.

I'm not really expecting a solution for this further than what I've found, but I figured it won't hurt to see if anyone has something I haven't tried yet.

Thanks again.

Did you try to adjust thumb picks?