I have an epi SG G-400 all stock that I don't really use much. I put it up for trade just to see what I could get and a friend offered to trade me his Charvel DS3 for it. I have never in my life played a Charvel guitar. I will ultimately make the call once I get to plug the guitar in, feel the neck and hear it for myself

As I tend to get impatient though I figured I'd ask for some opinions on here. Just based on the quality of both guitars would you say it's a fair trade? Am I better off keeping the epi? Thanks in advance
You have all the information you need to make this choice. You can check prices for those exact guitars, in the condition and color of each, on eBay or Reverb, and you can play both guitars side by side to choose which one you prefer. You're in a good spot to make this decision yourself.

The Charvel is far less common/popular, which might be good or bad, but will probably make it harder to sell, if you choose to go that route.
play them and see for yourself, I have a DS1 and its a great guitar, the 3 is the lowest (cheapest) model, I haven't played it and can't comment on the comparison, I would guess that the SG would have the advantage against the 3 but if you aren't using it and you like the charvel go ahead.
Quote by guitarsngear
play them and see for yourself, I have a DS1 and its a great guitar, the 3 is the lowest (cheapest) model, I haven't played it and can't comment on the comparison, I would guess that the SG would have the advantage against the 3 but if you aren't using it and you like the charvel go ahead.

^I also have a DS-1 and a DS-2. They are excellent guitars and very impressive for being Chinese made, however while there are few differences in overall build between the DS-1 and DS-2, the DS-3 has many significant lower end options. I have never even held a level 3 Desolation, much less played one, so I can't give my official opinion on them.