Hi,

The title summarises my question already.
I've changed pickups in nearly all my guitars but with this one I bumped into a cavity space issue for the first time.

First of all the Brent Hinds Epiphone signature Flying V guitar is a very well build guitar and his Lace Hammerclaws pickups have a very rich tone for passive pickups. I was really impressed with the pickups.
However, I grew up with the end of NWOBHM and the birth of thrashmetal so obviously I'm looking for even a heavier tone.
The tone I'm looking for could be referred to the sound of the last two albums of Evergrey.
So very tight and heavy, the Hammerclaws don't do that much on the lower end.

For this I planned to replace the hammerclaws with either SD blackouts or a EMG 81/85 set.
I've already a guitar build of mahogany in which I've put SDBO and this is the best sounding guitar I own to my taste.
However, since the Epiphone comes with chrome plated hammerclaws I wanted to replace them with EMG 81/85 chrome version to keep the appearance.

Unfortunately the cavity in the guitar is way too small, not just for the 9V battery but also the circuitboard of the EMG quickconnect system won't fit.
I did not think of making a photo of the cavity but I found the image below of a real Korina 58 Flying V and I can tell the cavity is exactly the same as the Epiphone Brent Hinds (as is the pickguard). I think other Gibson Flying V models do have more cavityspace because of the design (4 knobs close to each other) whereas the Korina model has 3 knobs lined up in 1 row.

My question to you:
Who has experience with putting active pickups in Flying V's based on the Korina 58 model and can give hints on how to deal with the cavity issue for this specific model?

Thanks in advance for your advise.

Gibson Flying V Korina 58 model:

Brent Hinds Epiphone FLying V:
Last edited by zakhooi at Feb 5, 2017,
My gibson v had the same issue. I had to route some space inside the cavity when installing my het set.
ESP E-II Horizon FR
Gibson Flying V HET SET
ESP Eclipse II FM JB/Jazz
ESP M-II Deluxe EMG 81/SA
Marshall JCM2000 DSL/ JCM800 1960a cab
Tama Drums/ Sabian
To each their own, but man I can't believe anyone would replace the Hammerclaws with EMGs...

Anyway enough biased opinion flaunting.

Is there anyway to install the new EMGS without the quick connect? I don't think there is any way to magician more space in there without routing.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
New EMG can still be soldered you just need old school pots. Cut the connectors off and wire it up.
Of course the EMGs can used without the quickconnect circuitboard.
But then there is still no room for the battery. It's too small for the battery and circuitboard.
Quote by ltdguy27
My gibson v had the same issue. I had to route some space inside the cavity when installing my het set.

Where exactly did you create the space?
Do you have some pictures?
IMO the Lace's are SO much better and replacing them with standard active EMG's is a downgrade. But it is ultimately your guitar.

If there's no enough cavity space, then the only option is to route out the guitar's body to fit a battery box. Bearing in mind of course that this will very negatively affect the guitar's resale value.
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Bearing in mind of course that this will very negatively affect the guitar's resale value.

Good point, I didn't htink about that yet. At the other hand, it doesn't have to affect the reslate value negatively. I think that depends what the buyer is looking for. But this defintely is something that makes me reconsider. I might just use it as it is now for a while and when played enough gigs reconsider again.
Quote by zakhooi
Good point, I didn't htink about that yet. At the other hand, it doesn't have to affect the reslate value negatively. I think that depends what the buyer is looking for.
It's a universal truth that the better the guitar's condition and the more original it is, the more value it has. Always.

Even if the buyer wants active EMG's with this guitar, that's not in any way going to stop them from taking advantage of the fact it's been irreversibly modified so they can therefore pay less for it.

That's just the way the used market works.
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
Well, here's EMG's $129 answer - http://www.emgpickups.com/es-918.html

Or you could just run some wires from under the pick guard to an external battery holder that you mount on the back or bottom of the guitar - it would look a bit ghetto but it's completely reversible.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
Quote by metalmingee
Well, here's EMG's $129 answer - http://www.emgpickups.com/es-918.html

Or you could just run some wires from under the pick guard to an external battery holder that you mount on the back or bottom of the guitar - it would look a bit ghetto but it's completely reversible.

Nah, that looks to weird, but thanks for bringing up this option.

I'm afraid I'm kinda stuck with this and better put effort in my amp/fx settings to get the best sound of it. Again, it's not bad at all, it's just not that tight and heavy in the lows.
Thanks for all you help!
I think you will be dissapointed with EMGs as well, if you think the Hammerclaws are not heavy and tight enough. But anyway, you can go for some other passive pickup. One of the Bareknuckle pickups would surely do the job, or maybe Lace Deathbuckers. Or some of the higher output seymour duncans and dimarzios.
Joža je kul. On ma sirove z dodatki pa hambije.
Quote by gorkyporky
I think you will be dissapointed with EMGs as well, if you think the Hammerclaws are not heavy and tight enough. But anyway, you can go for some other passive pickup. One of the Bareknuckle pickups would surely do the job, or maybe Lace Deathbuckers. Or some of the higher output seymour duncans and dimarzios.

Well this is very interesting.
I've been reading quite a lot about that comparisson as nowadays there is a wide choice of high output passive pickups.
For metal they're used a lot to get a djent-sound, but that's not what I'm looking for.
The sound I'm looking for is the tight and heavy, it might have a liitle but of djent in it but not too much.
That's why I mentioned Evergrey in the startpost (). as these guys have the perfect sound to my taste.
I do understand this is a production sound with multilayered guitars.

The mother of all questions for me would be: Which passive pickup sounds similar to a EMG81/85 combo a mahogany guitar as this Brent Hinds Epiphone.
I've read a lot about the bareknuckle pickups but they qre quite expense (too expense just to try out).
How would the lace deathbuckers compare to the hammerclaws?

So which is the best passive equivalent for EMG 81/85?
You realize that a lot of the djent sound comes from the amp settings and most of all, playing style? And if you want tight and bottom heavy pickups, looking for djenty ones is pretty much your best option, since thats the genre that needs the tightest sound you can get.

As far as daethbuckers go, people online seem to compare them to the emg81 a lot, so they would seem to be right up your alley. But im sure any decent pickup can get the Evergrey sound, including the raillhammers. What kind of an amp do you have? Because this is sounding more and more like a user problem, rather than a gear one.
Quote by gorkyporky
. What kind of an amp do you have? Because this is sounding more and more like a user problem, rather than a gear one.

Good question. I've done a lot of comparison through the years and tried a lot of setups (pedalboards, 19inch etc).
I've ended up with my current setup (see picture).
- The usual pedals before the input on the amp like tubescreamer, wah etc.
- FX loop: Decimator (obviously for gating), Gmajor2 for FX, DBX to emphasize 600hz, 1k8 and 2k (these frequencies seem to push the sound in direct I want to have), BBE Maximizer (I know this is widely discussed, love it or hate it. I use it just to spice up low end and high end in case I used some other amp on a gig).
- ENGL Powerball and ENG Pro Cab with Celestion V30s

I do realize my gear is much of a bigger influence than the pickups, but that part I kinda sorted out already as you can see.

Huh, that's a pretty awesome rig. It just so happens i have a powerball as well (a mark 1 tho), into a randall oversized 412 cab with V30's. I dont even run an overdrive into it in the front, and i can get tones pretty similar to what you want, even when using my explorer with Burstbuckers. Have you tried turning of the BBE? Or the Decimator? I dont know about that one, but im sure the BBE only makres your tone worse on an amp like this.

Other than fiddle with the settings (and since the powerball has a metric fuckton of them, this should take a lot of time), i dunno what to tell you. If i were you id try yo decide between the deathbuckers or one of the Bareknuckles (Juggernaut is suposed to be super tight and super clear). Or just go down the EMG way with the pedal power that metalminge posted. But look into the 57/66 set as well, i have those, and they are much better than the 81/85 set.
I know a lot of people don't like them, but if you're going for EMG sound the HZ 3 and 4 would be worth a shot. They're pretty cheap used, and still have that EMG coloring. From my experience pickup height is extremely important with these.