So just a while back I decided that it's time for a more proper backup guitar,
My main guitar at the moment is an Epiphone Explorer 1958 Goth edition,
It has a seymour duncan invader in the bridge and well, it's just brutal.

My backup guitar right now is a dimavery ibanez knockoff that I bought for dirt cheap second hand, and I have put in emg 81/85 pups.

My amp is a Randall RG100-G2, and well, it's just brutal.

Because of the awesome sounds I can get out of my epiphone into the randall, my dimavery just does not add up when it comes to tone.
Sure it sounds fine, but well, it's just not brutal. I have decided to sell it, and I am going to buy a new guitar with a P90 pickup.

I am in a metal band and we play a lot of modern metal and hardcore punk, I was blown away by the tones some punk bands used to get with P90s.
I never really was a punk dude so I didnt know they were quite common in the realms of punk.

To get to the point, I am going to buy a new guitar and put some killer pickups in them, well at the least in the bridge.

I found out that there really is no big pup manufacturer that has active P90 pickups, I have found out that seymour duncan has the Custom P90, and Bare knuckle has Warpig P90 pickups. They both really sound nice in the promotion videos, but I cant really find a lot of reviews on them.

Can anyone give me some good info about what kind of P90 pickups I could use for drop C tuned modern metal?
And does anyone know any type of ACTIVE P90 pickups?

Cheers from The Netherlands
Never heard of an active P90. For modern metal and punk I'd stick with humbuckers. To me P90s are the wrong tool for the job.
www.facebook.com/yourbadinfluence
Daron Malakian has used p90s. But System was it's own thing compared to other bands
Tony Iommi founded metal with P90s.

With modern metal, tough...I don't know of anyone recording with P90s. Thing is, with Bareknuckle and other companies produing P90s with as much output as some of the beefiest humbuckers, I don't see why you couldn't.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
The answer is yes. You can also play metal with a single coil strat or tele.
Gear: Gibson Les Paul Studio, Gibson SG Special, Fender Stratocaster, Fender Telecaster, Fender Jazzmaster, Gretsch Pro Jet, Carvin C350, Epiphone ES-339 P90, Epiphone ES-335 Pro. Peavey 6505, Sovtek MIG-100, Vox AC30, Peavey XXX.
I did play metal on a strat a lot when that was all I had. Still occasionally rock it. The noise gate I have helps.
Tony Done

It won't get you into the heaviest of the heavy, but it can cover a lot of ground. I do that myself sometimes.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

pinheadslts75

That link brought me to a messed up page.

Why do you want P90's tho? I mean, if you already know that you are going to be using the guitar for metal, why are you trying to force p90's into it? Sure, it may work for punk, and you can also get decent tones from them, but its kinda like shaving with an axe instead of a razor. It can be done, but why? Unless you plan on using the guitar for something else, and you still want it to be able to do metal as well, just in case. But, you know, its kinda just complicating your life for no apparent reason.
Joža je kul. On ma sirove z dodatki pa hambije.
Have used p90s with a 6505+ head, then a Hiwatt Higain 100 head in post hardcore bands. Has it's own unique tone compared to a humbucker. I wouldn't use it for ultra scooped metal, but for post hardcore, hardcore, punk and even some black metal applications, the P90 sounded great and had it's own character that got lots of compliments. Just don't expect it to sound like an EMG or a high output humbucker, and embrace the absolute chaos it brings to your sound.
Quote by ZanasCross
I'm now so drunk that even if my mom had given me a blow job at aeg 2, i'd be like I'm a pmp, butches.!

If this even madkes sense... if yhou sig this, Iw ll kill you.
Still not working for me. Oh well.

But yeah, the BKP Pig90 is typical of the kind of thing I'm thinking of. I've got a trio of their Stockholms in a guitar, and it slays. I'd expect even more aggression from the Pig90s.

Personally, for modern metal (Tony's sound wasn't that tight), there might be better choices than any P90. It will hum under a lot of gain (single coil), It doesn't hit the amp like a humbucker, and certainly doesn't remain tight with lower tunings.
Dave @ Seymour Duncan
The Railhammer Billy Corgins are noiseless P90's. Well, humbucker sized P90's that is.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Tony Done
This is a bit OT, but I'm curious. To what extent can you substitute a "light" pickup and some kind of EQ/booster for a "heavy" pickup?

Yup. I have a Carvin Quad-X that has a built in boost and active controls and a 5-band assignable active EQn in addition to the paras and four channels with nine 12 AX7s and up to 11 tube gain stages. No issues.
If you're going to run a P90, do NOT go for an overwound P90, though. Just because you can, doesn't mean you should. If you want to eliminate noise, pick up the Kinman Noiseless P90's. Best of breed.
Quote by Cathbard
The Railhammer Billy Corgins are noiseless P90's. Well, humbucker sized P90's that is.

NOT noiseless.

Quote by diabolical
I have one guitar with P90s and when I use distortion I have to have the noise gate on.

How far are you from the amp? How far are you from RF interference?
Last edited by dspellman at Feb 8, 2017,
Im about 5 metres away from the amp, I do use a noise gate tho.
Our playing style is somewhere in the realms of nu metal and post hardcore, so not any type of scoopy fizzy Pantera stuff.

Really weird that nobody knows anything about active p90s, I think they would sound great.
Quote by dspellman
NOT noiseless
Yes they are. I have a set in my LTD
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I've contacted Seymour duncan and now I finaly have a response,

They recommend I should get a stacked p90 and use a short shaft blackout preamp.

Quite clever actually
Actually, that is a really good idea!

Quote by TheSennaj
I've contacted Seymour duncan and now I finaly have a response,

They recommend I should get a stacked p90 and use a short shaft blackout preamp.

Quite clever actually
Dave @ Seymour Duncan