I seen Tony mention a lot, I am must naive on the subject but some one kindly explain what that statement means? I know in some countries Cedar is endangered but not in others. I just want to understand what is mean by misuse of Cedar cause I have heard a few good Takamines Cedar tops and kinda want one.
"Music became a healer for me. And I learned to listen with all my being. I found that it could wipe away all the emotions of fear and confusion relating to my family." Eric Clapton
Last edited by Blackwaterson89 at Feb 5, 2017,
This is news to me, but admittedly I don't keep up with conservation or the acquisition process for tonewoods.
My God, it's full of stars!
Nah, its nothing to do with conservation, it has to do with the fact that you can't see grain runout in cedar, so you can't tell if a top is well-cut or not. I've seen one damaged Takamine with a broken top, where the grain had run out over a distance of about 2" over the thickness of the top. - Not good. Also, Tak have used it to liven up what otherwise might have been dull guitars. Not wrong, but it leaves a bad taste in my mouth that Tak seem to have used it to plaster over a lot of functional cracks. Cedar has got what I see as good uses, as in classical guitars and some steel strings for fingerpickers, but it lacks headroom for heavy-handed playing. I have a cedar-topped Maton that I use for slide, a very good guitar in its own way, but not what I would see as a good flatpicker's guitar, and too open-sounding for my kind of fingerpicking.
Thank you Tony for explaining it to me.
"Music became a healer for me. And I learned to listen with all my being. I found that it could wipe away all the emotions of fear and confusion relating to my family." Eric Clapton