Poll: Which guitar
Poll Options
View poll results: Which guitar
Pro-1 Ultra
0 0%
FS820
2 100%
Voters: 2.
I was at Guitar Center and narrowed down my choices for a new acoustic to the Pro-1 Plus or the FS820, as I'm just looking at a decent starting acoustic. However, I found out that the Pro-1 Ultra was at an equal price as the Yamaha on Amazon,and the reviews for the Ultra are positive, up until the last month or so (while the Plus has flawless positive review). For a little more info, I'm normally the lead guitarist of the band and played 12 string acoustic, but we want more lead 6 string. I am a bit shorter/smaller so the comfort/smaller size of both really are the main selling point. Despite this, the Ultra has a cutaway which is easier for soloing, but a very few reviews complain about a lifting bridge (which might just be restringing with higher strings). Is there anyone with experience whether the Ultra is worth the advantages, or would it be better to play it safe with the FS820? (Even with a case, they still end up roughly the same price.) Thanks for any input!
Quote by Tony Done
I'm a Yamaha fan, and that one has a solid top, unlike the Epi, so I would go with it.

I do so hate to be the one to break this to you, but the Epiphone "Pro 1 Ultra", most certainly IS a solid top:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/epiphone-pro-1-ultra-acoustic-electric-guitar However, the "Pro 1 Ultra" is a piezo equipped, "plug me in" whereas the "Pro 1 Plus" is pure acoustic only.

The "Pro 1 Plus" is also a solid spruce top: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/epiphone-pro-1-plus-acoustic-guitar

gamerman56

Those 2 Epiphones come equipped with "acoustic ultra light" string sets, (IIRC) .010 to .047, and nice low actions. This is something a player wanted to play "lead" might find worthwhile. The acoustic sound (unplugged), might suffer a bit versus an acoustic string more "normally" with "acoustic lights" which are heavier, '012 to .053. For the average electric player the Ultra, (IMHO) would be easier to switch back and forth with an electric.. In other words,, the Ultra's touch. wouldn't be that much heavier than an electric with "regular strings" (.010 to .046).

OK, you could always set up the Yamaha similarly by replacing the strings and lowering the action, hopefully to achieve the same results.

Since you're speaking in terms of buying the guitar from "Guitar Center", you, (in theory) could demo both guitars.

However, the Epiphones are most likely going to play their best as is, but the Yamaha would likely need to be setup and restrung to make the comparison fair.

What you can accomplish by live testing, is finding out if the Yamaha's smaller body, (a "folk" size), is more comfortable to you than the Epiphone, which is a larger, "dreadnought".

I have 2 Epiphone "EJ-200-SCE", and the build quality is immaculate. BUT, these guitars are pushing 3 years, and they're from a special left handed limited run of that particular model.

I have no current experience with Epiphone acoustics, but neither am I aware of any recent downturn in quality with the brand. But, I'm not reading reviews on their "Pro" series of acoustics either, since the right hand only. I read the hype and reviews when they were first released, and it was largely positive.

I can't possibly "cast a vote" on which guitar is right for you. Look at and read my facts and links, along with those of others, play both guitars, and make and informed, personal decision from there.

In other news, that's as much typing as I'm doing on the **** *** ******* annoying theme for the night.
Tony Done

That's going to be the big problem comparing the 2 guitars. The Epis are setup to suit either a rank beginner, (low action thin strings), or a pro who wants to play "lead, (thin strings low action). The Yamaha more than likely ships with average action, and standard light strings.

A player would be able to judge the body size and that's about it. After that, you get into a plugged in / played acoustic only quagmire.

But yes, Epiphone does often step from a laminated top to a solid top, going from acoustic only to A/E models. The "Pro" series seems to be the exception, rather than the rule.

So you get electronics, cutaway, & solid top as a package, as opposed to Taylor who seems to ship most of its Mexi-Taylors w/electronics, and then brazenly charges you a hundred bucks or so, just for the cutaway.
Last edited by Captaincranky at Feb 6, 2017,