Ok so basically i been looking at the Peavey 6505 mh, Love the idea of a small low wattage amp with the USB ability and headphones. Its mostly for recording and bedroom playing. But i also seen JSX combo amps and 6505 + for the same price range used. I would have to mic those up for recording purposes, I'm just more worried they would me too loud for bedroom play.
As for as music goes i play mostly metal, wide range of metal. Honestly cant say i remember the last time i used the clean channel on my amp but i do sometimes, its a good option to have.
Also i seen the LANEY IRT STUDIO in the same price range that also has a USB function for recording and its a low wattage amp ( I'm assuming capable of being connected to a cab) with a crap load of features on the amp.
Would love to go try all these amps out but the only one i might be able to actually find in a store would be the 6505 mh.
So basically im looking for some recommendations i was sold on the 6505 mh untill i seen some reviews that said it doesn't really sound like the bigger 6505.
Budget?
Gibson LP traditional and DC standard, PRS S2 Custom 24, MIA Standard Strat, Schecter Banshee 7
EVH 5153, Orange TV50H 2-2x12's
Line 6 M13
Are you looking for combo or head/cabinet? For that budget you could easily snag a used 6505+ 112 combo.
Gibson LP traditional and DC standard, PRS S2 Custom 24, MIA Standard Strat, Schecter Banshee 7
EVH 5153, Orange TV50H 2-2x12's
Line 6 M13
I just got the Laney IRT-Studio in last week and have spent maybe 2-3 hours with it so far. I also have a Mesa Dual Rec Roadster 212 Combo as a frame of reference. I used to have a 5150 212 combo as well.

For bedroom and solo house playing the IRT Studio is PLENTY loud, especially at the 15W setting. You can get the power tubes to start breaking up on the 1W setting at reasonable (or at least not completely deafening levels). My ears started to slightly ring on the <1W setting after about 15 minutes with the volume cranked up to 7 or 8 or so. I was playing through the 212 Mesa V30 closed back cab built into my Roadster. It sounded fantastic.

The cleans on this amp are really good but I have not used anything but the built in Reverb which is pretty decent. I have the Reverb on 2 just to add some depth. I'm still curious to see how well it likes a tubescreamer or my Budda Zenman interacts.

The Rhythm and Lead channels can get really, really tight. Reminds me of Engls used on Kreator and Destruction albums. I have not hooked up a tubescreamer to it yet to tighten it even more.

For the recording and USB features I've only used the headphone jack on the amp and the USB interface. I don't have any equipment to use the DI interface.

To be frank the built in Speaker Emulation is less than stellar. It has this high mid or high - I really haven't sorted it out yet - grind to it that suits things really well for modern metal tones but is a bit overbearing for thrashy or rock tones on the Rhythm and Lead channels. I plan on using a MXR 10-Band in the loop and see if I can tame it down a bit when time permits. I like a good thrashy tone but for practice it's fine.

I prefer the sound better by turning off the speaker emulation on the amp, using the USB interface, and using a Mesa cab with V30s impulse in Peavey ReValver. This sounds really sweet to my ears. I also like how it sounds through an Orange Vintage cab with Greenbacks impulse.

I'm guessing they really wanted the modern voicing on the speaker sim. I have no idea what the stock Laney HH speakers sounds like in their combos or cabs.

The Re-Amp via USB works great. I hooked it up to Reaper and it was easy to set the input channels for the naked guitar signal. Running this naked guitar signal into a Lecto Dual Rec sim sounds fantastic.

I picked this one up over the 6505MH because of the extra flexibility - 3 channels, reverb, power outputs, and all of the connectivity options. I prefer the form factor as well of the 2U rack setup and the gig bag. I also got rid of my 5150 212 combo in favor for the Mesa Dual Rec Roadster so I didn't want to go back to the 5150 type of sound (and the clean channel on this IRT is WAAAAYYYYY better than my 5150's clean - the 6505+ clean is supposed to be improved though).

As a side note the EQ on this thing is set up pretty weird for what I'm used to. Right now I have Rhythm - Bass (Pulled) - 2.75, Mids -3, Treble -2. Lead - Bass +0.5, Mids -3.25, Treble -2 (the pots are labeled so that 0 is at 12 o'clock but the manual says they are passive). Dynamics (which is more like Resonance) is at around 9:30 and Tone (which is more like Presence) is at +3.

I've also only used a Jackson with EMG 81/85 at this point.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
super helpful thanx. The laney seems like a super versatile amp. Sounds a little muddy when seeing youtube video but then again the are youtube videos.
crzywhiteboy
I wouldn't call it muddy but maybe dark fits. I keep the Dynamics way to the left and i don't run a ton of bass. I also mainly run an EMG 81 which doesn't have a ton of bass anyway. I got to try my SD Distortion today and that stayed well defined too.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
If you're looking for a combo, I'd shoot for a used Peavey XXX or JSX 112 or 212. Either one of those can be had for under $600. I'd stay away from the 6505MH as well as the 6505+ 112 personally.

The MH was prone to overheating due to a faulty temp control circuit. I was part of a conversation not too long ago on another forum, about this issue, a Peavey rep joined the conversation and stated that they fixed it towards the end of last year, but that same Peavey rep, wouldn't or couldn't tell us what serial #'s the "fixed" amps started at no matter how we asked. It was a really shady conversation. I would like one myself, but I just don't trust them. Probably going to find a 40 watt XXX 112 combo and make a head out of it.

The 6505+ 112 is, and has always been made in China. Same as the MH to be honest, but I'm constantly seeing people have issues with the 112. No point in my opinion, when you can get a XXX or JSX combo made in the good 'ol USA for the same price, or less.

As far as amps, the 6505+ is voiced to get most of it's tone from the pre-amp section. So it actually sounds pretty good at lower volumes, though it sounds GREAT at higher volumes. I use one at "bedroom" volumes regularly.