Page 1 of 2
Is it possible to use the pod hd 500x without an amp? If so, what are the options
Without a guitar amp? yes. Without some means of amplification? Only if you want to use headphones.

You can use a PA style amp, which will not color your sound and let the amp modeling on the POD shine, and play it through some FRFR speakers (also neutral sound, so that your POD is the only thing that colors the sound).

I use a powered monitor with my Helix, specifically I have an EV ZXA1. Fairly inexpensive, has a built-in power amp so that I can actually here myself, plenty loud to play with a drummer, and compact/lightweight for ease of travel.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Yes it will
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
I don't mean to hijack this thread, but how does everyone feel about the Pod hd500 for bedroom use exclusively? are the effects and tones excessive? I just want something I can use with headphones and have fun with, and sound good. I'm moving to an apartment for work and my Splawn is just a little bit too loud.
Splawn Street Rod
H&K Tubemeister 5
Line 6 G90 System

Gibson SG Standard
Godin Radiator
Dillion 653 GA/3CT
Seagull Coastline s6
New Music on Spotify
I've owned the hd500 before and used it exclusively for the bedroom. It's fantastic. It's worth noting that the hd500 and hd500x are near identical. The only real difference is the processing power and you very very rarely will need that extra processing power. I would strongly urge you to look at the hd500 instead to save yourself some money.
If you were keen to go the next step up in the line 6 range I personally would completely ignore the hd500x and go straight for a hd pod pro
Last edited by vayne92 at Feb 6, 2017,
Quote by vayne92
I've owned the hd500 before and used it exclusively for the bedroom. It's fantastic. It's worth noting that the hd500 and hd500x are near identical. The only real difference is the processing power and you very very rarely will need that extra processing power. I would strongly urge you to look at the hd500 instead to save yourself some money.
If you were keen to go the next step up in the line 6 range I personally would completely ignore the hd500x and go straight for a pod pro

The switches on the 500X are also superior. Not only that, I would argue that depending on who you are, you might very well need that extra power. I sure did. The Pro is cool but then you have to buy separate footswitch. The 500X is the best bang for buck, especially used.
No you don't NEED a USB to play, only if you intend to edit via your PC. You will need headphones AND an adapter (the headphones input on the POD is 1/4", most headphones are 1/8")
Yeah you'll need USB then. The editing software makes it much easier to get to certain parameters.
The USB 2.0 isn't really a must,but editing is much easier and you'll need it for registering the unit and any firm ware updates
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Line 6 Pod HD
Quote by scott58
The USB 2.0 isn't really a must,but editing is much easier and you'll need it for registering the unit and any firm ware updates

Make sure to hook it up via USB and update it when you first get it. There are some pretty significant changes between the factory and current firmware. I believe some of the amp sounds were upgraded and the global EQ was added.

The only time I hook mine via USB is to back up my patches. IMO for me it's way faster to use the on board controls to create, save, and edit patches.
Okay so after I connected USB, guitar and headphones, and the software is up and going, What do i do to hear sounds when playing?
Put the headphones on and turn up the volume!
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Line 6 Pod HD
Are you plugged into the computer or the POD (your headphones that is). Make sure to you have your output set to be whatever you are plugged into in your computer settings
Yeah so on your computer you need to make sure you change your output to the POD.
You have the manual? Make sure your inputs are correct. Try it with just headphones not connected to PC. Scroll to a preset to make sure you have an amp model selected. Should give something.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Line 6 Pod HD
scott58Dont have speakers or anything. I have guitar -> guitar in, headphones -> phones USB -> computer usb
Last edited by anderssen at Feb 9, 2017,
OK this may get a bit complicated. Your connected to your PC via USB right? What software did you download from line 6? Your going to need ASIO drivers for your PC. Basically making the pod a sound card for your pc, but you'll need to plug the PC speakers into the pod. But this means all sound from you PC has to go through the pod. Without seeing your settings it's hard to say what you have going on. May just want to wait and get a set of headphones. Have you tried just plugging your PC speakers direct to pod?
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Line 6 Pod HD
OK you edited while I was typeing. Go headphone to pod pods USB 2.0 to PC your editing software should recognize your pod. Click on new tone select an amp model it should work
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Line 6 Pod HD
Last edited by scott58 at Feb 9, 2017,
And your headphone is connected to pod?
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Line 6 Pod HD
At this point all I can recommend iis line 6 support. Sorry bud mine works with nothing more the guitar and headphones. Hooked up . yours should too. Don't have a volume adjust on headphone do you? If that's not it your gonna have to go with line 6
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Line 6 Pod HD
Wait wait, why is your phone in the mix?
I've been wondering that
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Line 6 Pod HD
Unplug everything, and just plug in the headphones to the POD and the guitar.
dementiacaptain No sound, Thought I needed the software for sounds, the POD itself cant make sounds, right?
Last edited by anderssen at Feb 9, 2017,
The POD can make sound yeah. Thats the whole point. Do you have the manual? They are available online, and very easy to read. Have a look.
You don't need anything other than the POD and headphones, don't know what the Line 6 guy was on
Page 1 of 2