Hey Ug,

My band has started building an IEM rig. We are running a 16 channel digital mixer micing drums, vocals and ambient mics. The Bass is being D.I'd out from a Boss BB-1X. We set it up yesterday and had a long practice working out the kinks e.g.. Everything was pretty swell besides the guitar sound. We tried Line Out from amps, DI from amps, micing the cab and ended up splitting the signal at the Pigtronix looper and sending 1 to the amp and 1 straight to the mixer.

All those solutions left something to be desired. For this band I'm running a Vox AC50CPH or a Mark3 head through a Black Star 2x12 with V30's or a Marshall 1960BX wiht Green Backs. To lower stage volume the Black Star is usually getting the nod but also the Vox seems to really like the open back cabinet. I've got a board of pedals all in mono . The stage sound is pretty good from this.

So basically I am asking how can I get that sound to the mixer and into my ears. When on ears it was really hard to play guitar without the feedback and ambient sound you get from the cab. I was running the amp pretty low, lower than I ever had before but i was very contempt with the sound it produced regardless. I just recently went through the AXE FX vs Amps and pedals debate after a robbery and decided on pedals. Now it looks like it could be a necessary evil. One big reason for choosing the amp was I don't want to stop using cabs and I use a couple of pedals the AXE doesn't replicate and use feedback. Also I thought maybe a Torpedo Two Notes Cab sim rack or pedal could be a good idea and use it with a real cab and then send this to my ears and FOH. These are the only two solutions of been able to think of so far. I would love to hear from anybody who has found ways around this or has any suggestions.

Cheers
What you are missing is the acoustical interaction between the amp and guitar, and the amp's sound direct into your human ears. Axe-FX, or anything else really, will not help you there. It is something you just have to get used to with professional sound. An amp, through a mic and a PA console, through other preamps and power amps, and eventually tiny speaker drivers of your IEM, is of course going to sound different than just the amp's speakers itself.

If you are running a small stage, having guitar amps at any reasonable volume which gains you those acoustical interactions, can easily destroy to FOH mix. If you are running a bigger stage, you may be able to get away with it. One option is to tilt the amp/cab back so that it points directly at you, run the amp at a reasonable volume, and mic it to PA. An option maybe to pair with that is to get a mic with a supercardioid pattern, which will pick up a bit of the "air" of the room- I like the Sennheiser e906. If not you should be using a quality mic to begin with, the SM57 is the industry standard.
As Will Lane stated and IEM system is going to sound a bit different from standing in front of an amp thats how it goes. You could get an amp stand to help orient your amp towards your ears on stage so that you can hear your amp directly at lower volume.

I'm curious how you were taking a DI directly from the amp, was it taking the FX send and just putting it through a regular DI or were you using something with cabinet emulation like a H&K redbox?
Thanks for the replies guys.

We play moderately sized stages for the most part. I'm running heads and cabs so it becomes a little tricker trying to tilt it. Naturally a 4x12 would sound a little better being off the ground and closer to my ears. This coming practice I will try a couple of different mics. We have a couple 58's and Betas spare. guitarsngear I was just running it straight from the amps DI to the mixer. No cab emulation but it's something I am looking into.
Go with the modeler. SO much easier.

No one OFF the stage hears an open back cabinet the same way you do, and it's nearly impossible to duplicate through a PA.
By the time you close-mike any cabinet, you've changed the sound anyway. You can use all the pedals you want with a modeler (Axe, Helix, etc.) *and* you can use cab IRs with any of the higher end modelers. With a Helix, for example, you can run anything you like in front of or behind the Helix and there are four (!) FX loops.

If you need a bit of ambient and feedback, you can set up a monitor (powered or otherwise) facing you down front. You'll hear a bit of delay, of course, but that might not be a bad thing for you.