I recently got an MIM strat with a bunch of vintage upgrades but am thinking about swapping out the bridge pickup.

This was a stock MIM that got its guts replaced with vintage cloth wiring and old timey switches, as well as Fender Custom Shop 69 pickups at the neck and middle, and Seymour Duncan SSL-5 in the bridge. The CS 69s have an open, airy sound that I like a lot, while the SSL is a bit more sterile and doesn't have the same chime. It's a good pickup, but it's got a very different character from the other two.

I know the classic Strat bridge pickup is notoriously useless, so I want to get something a little beefier, but that fits in a little better with the classic vintage tone of the other two. The bridge pickup is the one I'd use for heavier overdrive, so I could go noiseless, but only true single coil. I've got another guitar with plenty of humbuckers.

What do you guys recommend? Could a Tele bridge pickup do this? The more in line with vintage Fender tones, the better.
Quote by cdgraves
Could a Tele bridge pickup do this?

the twang banger in my strat does sound really good.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Rio Grande pickups is an excellent option, especially the Dirty Harry, which is one of their P90 lines- available in a variety of sizes.

Besides them, other makers to consider would be Lace, Vintage Vibe, The Creamery, Bareknuckle, TV Jones (yes, he's making singlecoils now), Wilde, Kent Armstrong and Lollar. Most of those builders are either noted for making tasty singlecoils or being custom/semi-custom winders.

One option that is beefier than a standard singlecoil but not as hot as a P90 is a Charlie Christian. I have a Vintage Vibe Tele singlecoil in the neck and their CC in the bridge of a Teleclone, and it meshes quite well. Of the makers listed above, Lollar is the only other one I know for sure making CCs.

Here's a cat named Tim Lerch demoing a Lollar CC:

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
on the cheap, maybe a SD quarter pounder. or listen to danny or cath.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
I don't think a Tele pickup can do what you want. The Quarter Pounder you mentioned can, as it sounds closer to a P-90. You almo may look at single coil-sized humbuckers, like the JB Jr.
Dave @ Seymour Duncan
check out Lace Sensors variety of picups sure they have something that will do the trick.
Another way to go is to contact Peter Bitloft at Vintage Vibe and tell him what you want. He can build whatever you need. They come with easily swappable magnets so you can fine tune it to your preferences. Peter builds awesome stuff.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by trashedlostfdup
on the cheap, maybe a SD quarter pounder.

i haven't tried either but i'd just be concerned that if the ssl5 is too much, the QP might be as well?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
i haven't tried either but i'd just be concerned that if the ssl5 is too much, the QP might be as well?

Yea the QP is even hotter.

cdgraves

Check out the Dimarzio Virtual Vintage Heavy Blues 2 (DP409 http://www.dimarzio.com/pickups/strat/hum-canceling-strat/virtual-vintage-heavy-blues-2). Nice warm Clean to nice distortion. Awesome with the Bogner Ecstasy to Diezel VH4. It works well with the CS '57/'62 SCs on my '62 RI.
^ Yeah that's what I thought.

Yeah the VVs are pretty nice- I've only tried the older versions, though.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?